puncture on new tyre

cars 5 or 6 weeks old vrs estate. 19 inch  alloys  with p600s. Wife gets a small slit on edge of tread. Options. Get another p600 at £120, which are rubbish in the wet, Winter around corner

Get a pair of decent tyres and loose loads of money.

Get a part worn good brand

Get a new cheap tyre and leave it on rear.

Cant afford 2 new tyres, so that's out

Temped at a part worn branded tyre. Don't like to on a £30k car but

Get another one of the same and notch it up to plain bad luck.  Replace with tyres of your choice once they've worn out a bit.

There's another thread where an experienced tyre fitter has commented on it being inadvisable to re-fit anything over 16", putting part worn's into not a good idea territory.

Gaz

• Like 2

Pretty sure Mr Skoda thinks that a pirelli tyre is suitable for all year use on a £30k car.

Why would you say its that inferior, your tempted to put a part worn unknown history tyre on your car....crazy thoughts IMO,......the part worn could be more dangerous.

It is a modern tyre, gone are the days of crossply tyres and having to have the same on each axle.

Any good radial tyre will do, especially against a part worn.

I assume until you had this puncture/damage you were happily going to do a winter on the pirelli's as you do not mention a set of winters, so why panic to replace them now?

Sorry if this comes over as rude, its not meant that way but written English can be misread.

• Like 1

Don't know why I put p600. Its p zero :) Showing my age.

I would trust a part worn over a budget tyre any day. Used to get new budget tyre for our Galaxy. It would slide in the wet at any speed. Yet these are legal.

I am getting a new one. Didn't want a pzero as they are bad in the wet. Didn't want different brand tyres all over the place though

P600's were on my brand new XR2..circa 1984/85, shows my age too :)

I have never ever put a part worn on but just if I did, I dread the thought that if it had been damaged curbed badly and internally damaged and let go whilst on a dual carriageway/motorway I just wouldn't live with myself.

Punctures are a total bum I put a brand new £150 tyre on my Triumph motorcycle a few years back around 2002 and got a puncture in less than 100 miles :(

It had to go in the bin gutted.

Good choice at least it keeps them all the same until they need replacing as a pair.

The factory fit tyred are not to bad. Though even without gunning it they slightly spun the other day in the wet.

I've also got a full set with UniRoyal RS3. They are very good in the wet.

I ended up opting for...wait for it.... Nexen n' fera su1. Really good reviews. Guarantee if damaged on kerb etc. You get the percentage of tread left in money. Rated C and B. SO good in the wet for winter. Worth a try for £90

• Like 1

Hope you got 2 of these, not just one.  I've used Nexen myself and would class them as budget, but not in the same way as Ling Long or whatever- they're made in Korea for a start!

So there's budget and there's budget with the brand being the barometer.  Part-worns are only ever worth the risk if you trust the previous owner with your life or they're on a set of wheels you're taking to get fitted with something trustworthy.  At least budgets give you the choice of something reputable if you choose correctly, or at least consistent (good or bad) so you can drive accordingly.  You can't guarantee that with part-worns.

Agreed with Huskoda's suggestion btw.

P600's were on my brand new XR2..circa 1984/85, shows my age too :)

I seem to remember having P6000's (185/65/14 no less) on my 1979 FIAT 132 and thinking they were the mutts  :notme:

Gaz

I've.never understood the criticism levelled against part worn tyres and can only assume that everyone who does this goes out and buys 4 new tyres every time they buy a car, unless you're buying new of course, as let's face it you've just bought 4 part worn tyres ... I've bought them on and off for years when money's been tight and never once had a duff tyre yet with all fbthem being a leading brand name and either virtually brand new or at least 5mm of tread on them.

I've.never understood the criticism levelled against part worn tyres and can only assume that everyone who does this goes out and buys 4 new tyres every time they buy a car, unless you're buying new of course, as let's face it you've just bought 4 part worn tyres ... I've bought them on and off for years when money's been tight and never once had a duff tyre yet with all fbthem being a leading brand name and either virtually brand new or at least 5mm of tread on them.

They're not really the same thing. If someone has removed them and got rid of them, they did it for a reason. That is the stock you buy as part-worn. You don't know the reasons the previous owner disposed of them. Damage? Poor performance? Do they lose air quickly? Have they been illegally recut since?

If a used car has mismatched tyres all round, I will give it a miss anyway since the owners obviously didn't give a crap and just maintained the car to the minimum level.

• Like 1

I recently fitted 4 new Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres to my car.  One suffered an un-repairable puncture in less than 1000 miles.  I bought a new identical tyre.  I always have 4 matching tyres on my cars.  Won't buy a used car if the tyres aren't matched.  Swap my tyres around so that I can fit 4 new matched tyres at the same time. 

I can't remember the last time I had a pirelli tyre I liked...

I will admit to using part worns in the past, once on a beater mx6 I had for a few months and once on a 330 coupe I had when I got a non repairable puncture on one of the rears that had 6mm left. At the time a part worn pilot sport two extra load with 6mm left was £80 delivered from the net where as a new one was around £230. Lasted fine until I wore it out but I would advise inspecting any part worns thoroughly before using them.

I've used part worns many times when I was running bangers (£2-800 jobs). Although I will agree I've never had an issue, I don't think I'd use them on a new car, and certainly not on anything that has a fair bit of poke to it.

Some part worns are from lease contracts, which tyres sometimes get replaced even if wear is not that bad, or if one tyre has a puncture both get replaced and the good tyre is then sold on.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal choice, and what is important to you. After all tyres are the only thing keeping to on the road.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, every time you buy a second hand car it has used tyres on it that you have no idea how they were treated. Admittedly they haven't been removed and sold on for an unknown reason but I'd still take a quality branded part worn over a budget tyre...although only if I had a non repairable puncture on tyres with lots of life left otherwise it would be two new quality tyres

Well my old Mk7 GTD had 2 new Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front and the OE Potenza S001's on the rear.....two days after receiving it...non repairable puncture on one of the Potenzas. Was replaced with a Pilot Sport 3.

So it had three different types of (albeit premium) tyres on it. Still drove great.

Im all for keeping all four tyres the same as an a bit OCD but the reality is it doesnt matter that much.

The Eagle F1's were fab and offered good rim protection...the Bridgestones are fine but they'll probably wear like ****...

I had P Zero neros on my Fabia vRS and thought they were a v good tyre...cant understand the criticsm there.

Edited by pipsypreturns

If you know anything about tyres, you can spot a repair EASILY. A good repair is 100% safe

Also putting a new tyre on is replacing old with new. What I mean is, the tread with be thicker on the new one. So, does every one on hear change all 4 when they get a puncture. Very OTT if you ask me.

Motorcycle. Thats a different thing. I have a 200 bhp bike and ever nail cost me £160. Obviously I only go up to 70mph anyway :)

• Like 1

cars 5 or 6 weeks old vrs estate. 19 inch  alloys  with p600s. Wife gets a small slit on edge of tread. Options. Get another p600 at £120, which are rubbish in the wet, Winter around corner

Get a pair of decent tyres and loose loads of money.

Get a part worn good brand

Get a new cheap tyre and leave it on rear.

Cant afford 2 new tyres, so that's out

Temped at a part worn branded tyre. Don't like to on a £30k car but

30k car? So it's not for your VRS then?

If you know anything about tyres, you can spot a repair EASILY. A good repair is 100% safe

What if you don't know anything about tyres? In 120000 miles over ten years I've been fortunate not to have a puncture on my own car, so I don't know what a repair looks like. Repaired a few on my bicycle, but that's a bit different.

4x4's don't like tyres with mixed tread depths. My ex wife and her husband bought 2 new winters and fitted them to the front of their car, keeping the old ones on the rear. After less than 1000 miles the mid dif packed up doing 85 down a German autobahn!!! The manufacturers pointed to the manual which said all tyres should be changed at the same time to avoid transmission damage.

Note: it wasn't a VAG vehicle, but the technology is the same.