Another Mk1 VRS GTB2260 build............now for sale £4k bargain!

Stuart27183

Should be decent when you get it all fitted mate!

Cheers, I certainly hope so as its been a serious money pit this year! My 130 mile commute to work on a Monday morning should be a lot more interesting after this lot is on!

Finally started the GTB conversion! Had a good day down the garage today, only took a couple of hours to get the old turbo and downpipe off, plus did'nt even have to crack the angle grinder out!

Spot the difference.................................................................

IMG-20151223-WA0002.jpg

• Like 2

Did a couple of hours up the garage this morning- just took the manifold studs out of the head, removed the oil feed pipe and stripped the rear doors down ready to re seal them (again!) - also lined up the tubular. Here's a few snaps:

20151229_110758.jpg

20151229_114359.jpg

20151229_103545.jpg

20151229_103531.jpg

20151229_100442.jpg

Are you fitting the turbo once manifold is on?

I fitted turbo to manifold then fitted complete to engine.

Yes the plan is to build it all up on the bench then drop it in from the top - I was just seeing how much clearance there is with the manifold alone; looks a tight squeeze, i'm not convinced it will drop down. 

The pd150 is a bit of a squeeze through the top and the gtb is a bit bigger. You might have to loosen som engine mounts and pull the engine forward. That might allow enough room.

I will probably just pull the shaft out and stick it in from the bottom. Saturday is the big day so we will see - got 3 pairs of hands fitting and a 4th being the mapper for the day in my mates garage - plenty of energy drinks and pizza will be needed!

• Like 1

Just got my gtb2260 in today on tubular manifold and with the engine mount off with the jack under there's still wasn't quite enough room I ended up putting the manifold on and then struggling to get the turbo on. I dropped the turbo in first then got a friend to push turbo up from bottom to the manifold absolute nightmare to do if I'm doing this again the engines coming out there's just no room at all haha

Just got my gtb2260 in today on tubular manifold and with the engine mount off with the jack under there's still wasn't quite enough room I ended up putting the manifold on and then struggling to get the turbo on. I dropped the turbo in first then got a friend to push turbo up from bottom to the manifold absolute nightmare to do if I'm doing this again the engines coming out there's just no room at all haha

Wow i cant wait now! Is yours running again now? I will be nervous on first start up!

Not yet need to line new downpipe up and get the flange welded on as it's in wrong postion :( still need to fit injectors and tackle fitting intercooler all good fun a suppose didn't think of removing rocker cover John it might give you a little more room worth trying though

Wish o had the spare money to put into my VRS.

Just made me first purchase, 350 for some springs and dampers 40mm lower and two new top mounts to go with them.

Car came with a remap and I've chopped my exhaust up so it's somewhat a cat-back. Going to get a proper system when money allows.

Quick tidy up in the garage today ready for the main fitting day on Saturday. Sealed the rear door carriers again with roof gutter sealant this time. Also picked up new manifold studs, and the shim and cap to stop the input shaft play i have. Probably spent more time helping my mate insulate his shed (which is oddly in the same garage!)

20151230_094038.jpg

20151230_134910.jpg

If your xman tubular is like mine you can't use studs and nuts to hold it onto head,you need to use allen cap head bolts screwed straight into head as there is not enough room between the header of the manifold and the exhaust stud to get a nut fully down to tighten it up.

If your xman tubular is like mine you can't use studs and nuts to hold it onto head,you need to use allen cap head bolts screwed straight into head as there is not enough room between the header of the manifold and the exhaust stud to get a nut fully down to tighten it up.

I just got the new studs as do want to try and use at least 2 of them if i can. If not ive got loads of HT socket head bolts i can use. Spent about £30 on a selection of bolts and nuts ect just incase.

• Like 1

Why does he have a shed in his garage?

Anyway.. Good progress. Was that shim from Skoda/VW? Think i need one on the octavia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol the shed is his office! We laughed when he got it put in there!

Yes the shim and cap were from Skoda, both around £5 each i think.

I just got the new studs as do want to try and use at least 2 of them if i can. If not ive got loads of HT socket head bolts i can use. Spent about £30 on a selection of bolts and nuts ect just incase.

I think I managed to use the very outer ones on each side,but you need to use a plain nut and a spring washer,the proper flanged manifold nuts won't go down flat on the flange.

Can fitting the shim cause more bad than good if fitted when it's not needed or?

It won't fit if you've got no play in the shaft ;)

I bought the shim and cover and found mine had no play at all once I smashed the cover off!

• Like 1