Emissions scandal - now on 2016 diesels

Whatever, don't care, they will fix it and that'll be that. If it means I need to take my car again to the dealer for a cuddle so be it. Small inconvenience in the grand scheme of things no?

Plus, it looks like this device was only fitted in USA so may not effect Europe.

This looks like a whole different issue. It allows the catalyst to heat up more quickly than in normal driving. This is an allowed system in the testing regimes. The problem is simply that they appear not to have told the US authority that they are fitted and thus their approval to sell is not valid.

Nothing to suggest 'cheating' technically in the same way that I understand the earlier problems.

Quote from a US source

“On the other hand, auxiliary emissions control devices on passenger vehicles are routinely added by carmakers but they are required by law to be disclosed as part of the process to receive the emissions certifications required the vehicle can be sold. Carmakers are allowed to use these devices under deals negotiated with regulators that provide for higher emissions in very specific circumstances.”

Pete

Edited by Sagalout

• 3 weeks later...

So true ^

The original study that uncovered the issue only tested Bmw and vw diesels in the us, mainly as they are the two big diesel suppliers there. BMW met all their emission claims in real motoring.vw didn't. In fact until reading the study I didn't realise how aggressively vw diesels were marketed as "clean" in the us. So much so that the highest sales levels are in California as they were believed to have such low pollution levels, less even than priuses.

I expect there will be plenty of others that are doing something similar but not to the same extent as VW.

I also found that the reason my current golf won't rev past 3k when stationary is to limit the emissions that can be tested at mot. Oddly that annoys me more.

So true ^

They have all kept very quiet about it haven't they? It wouldn't surprise me at all to find cars from other brands in the not to distant future suspiciously spending 4hrs having a 1hr service.

In those extra 3hrs, alterations to the car other than the oil and air filters being changed (read engine, exhaust and ECU etc) were being made!

They have all kept very quiet about it haven't they? It wouldn't surprise me at all to find cars from other brands in the not to distant future suspiciously spending 4hrs having a 1hr service.

In those extra 3hrs, alterations to the car other than the oil and air filters being changed (read engine, exhaust and ECU etc) were being made!

It will take less time to flash the ECU than it will to change the oil.

It will take less time to flash the ECU than it will to change the oil.

I think the "fix" is going to require much more than a simple ECU flash though. If it were that simple, the defeat device would never have been needed in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just spoken to my dealership and they got a letter sent to them yesterday by VW and circulation list of people that may be affected. I don't have the letter yet he just read it out to me but it's states what we have already read but there was no mention of having to sign anything.

But it did say that if the car is affected then vw will pay the extra cost of the road tax for the life of the vehicle. I asked about the extra fuel cost and what will be done about that and he didn't know what if anything will be done. I also asked about my rights to cancel or refuse the car due to this issue and again he had no clue about where I stand in that situation. I have left it there for now and just said we can cross that bridge if we need to.

Just spoken to my dealership and they got a letter sent to them yesterday by VW and circulation list of people that may be affected. I don't have the letter yet he just read it out to me but it's states what we have already read but there was no mention of having to sign anything.

But it did say that if the car is affected then vw will pay the extra cost of the road tax for the life of the vehicle. I asked about the extra fuel cost and what will be done about that and he didn't know what if anything will be done. I also asked about my rights to cancel or refuse the car due to this issue and again he had no clue about where I stand in that situation. I have left it there for now and just said we can cross that bridge if we need to.

Is there any indication MPG was defeated/cheated?

Is there any indication MPG was defeated/cheated?

It is to do with the cheated mpg and cos emissions. Not even got my car yet and they are ruining it for me. Really not sure what to do. Just waiting to see if it is effected. It's the 1.4 tsi act engine.

I suspect the ACT feature of these affected engines operates a higher proportion of the time during the official test than can ever be achieved on the road so it will be MPG and CO2 that suffer.

I've got one on order and to be honest lower than published MPG is,not going to make me lose sleep given that I wanted petrol, and just at the mo, couldn't afford to go to the 2.0l tsi, in fact if I had the money I'd go straight for the 280. So what I'm most interested in is that in order to meet the published CO2 the engineers don't detune the engine and it becomes more like the 125 ps variant which I do think would be pushing the limit of sensible performance for a big car that for me is going to spend a good deal of its life on motorways.

• Like 2

To a certain extent, I never expect to get quoted figures in real life. I think this must be at the root of why my car keeps slipping and slipping. I presume that what we get in the end will be an emasculated vehicle compared to those that sneaked through already. Wonder what this will do for depreciation on the early models?!

• Like 1