mpg?

anst11

Haven't tried 100 percent throttle to over ride! In was surprised my cruise control let me change up a gear though and it still continued without cancelling itself!

I hope it does. Its a safety aspect imo. Something happens and you need to get out of the way, you dont want to be tinkering with thr computer haha.

That is a surprise! Usually touching the clutch cancels it. It does on my mk2.

CC is a god send though. Its great. Second best thing on mine (:

I hope it does. Its a safety aspect imo. Something happens and you need to get out of the way, you dont want to be tinkering with thr computer haha.

That is a surprise! Usually touching the clutch cancels it. It does on my mk2.

CC is a god send though. Its great. Second best thing on mine (:

Yep - it's like kick-down in an auto - just floor the pedal and it overrides the Limiter. Then when you've passed and dropped back down to Limiter speed it operates again - without needing to turn it back on. I.e. It stays active but on "standby".

Yep - it's like kick-down in an auto - just floor the pedal and it overrides the Limiter. Then when you've passed and dropped back down to Limiter speed it operates again - without needing to turn it back on. I.e. It stays active but on "standby".

Ah okay. Thats better.

Abit like what CC does then. Lets you override it then you can let it settle n sort itsself again

• Like 1

Yes - I like having both - glad I got the CC option.

CC on longer runs, SL around town.

Helps me keep penalty points down and mpg figs up ( a little!).

Enjoying the car generally, nippyness around town and fun on windy country roads, quiet engine, surprisingly comfortable on long runs.

Downside is the frequent visits to filling station. High 30s in town and low 40s overall. But will do low 50s on a long run, especially keeping speed below 70mph (113kph) . Only thing I miss my old 1.9tdi Passat for!

• Like 1

To second the kick down comment the speed limiter can be overridden with a final push against the floor. You'll know it when you feel it and it beeps once when you do it. Very useful. More annoyingly it beeps repeatedly if you can get it to go over the limit you set going down a hill. Only happens on steep hills mind.

I should have gotten cruise control as I'm doing lots of monster drives and getting a sore foot on some of them.

The speed limiter is great in town. With the amount of speed cameras around I would rather be paying attention to the road than my speedo.

• Like 1

According to my dealer it's a factory fit only on the MK3

Sent from my Moto G

Dealers didnt like doing the mk2 though.

Maybe pm Ross (Tech1e) and ask him. He retrofitted on my mk2 n did a great job.

He'll be able to tell you if their actually is a kit available yet (:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That's pretty decent!

I mostly drive country roads in Leicestershire and I AVERAGE 58MPG and at best careful drives get 60 plus in the 1.2 110 tsi hatch SEL. I'm not a slow driver either - if I could I would have had a vrs version. 9500 miles now since May 2015 and  I'm impressed with it.

Also, I use CC a lot, but as soon as I know I'm coming to slowing traffic, road junctions, or roundabouts etc, click it off and let myself roll (in gear usually) to the point of needing to get on the braking. I think that helps my mpg loads. Try to brake very little and use the Cruise whenever you're just moving along without needing to interact much with the road.  

Anst, try not to spend your time trying to get the best mpg's at the moment. Don't use cruise control if you have it during the first few hundred miles as it can prevent the engine from properly running in. Your job is to vary the throttle and power setting as much as you can to run in the engine. The best way to ruin your motor is to drive it with a fixed throttle setting for long periods or drive it too gently during the first few hundred miles as the engine will just glaze the cylinder bores causing the motor not to run in properly. This will affect future engine efficiency and particularly the fuel economy. So just drive it normally paying attention to the owners manual about running in, and observe the fuel economy later. It will substantially improve if you drive her right over the coming next few hundred miles and so will the power output. Have fun, enjoy!

I find in a variety of vehicles but especially a Mk2 Fabia 1.4TSI that Cruise Control does not give me as good economy on 60 mph roads 

as driving at 60 mph with me using the throttle.

I take the corners at the same 60 mph the only difference is i am off the throttle or maybe on it before the corner and around carrying speed 

then back on the throttle.

Even through a regular 23 mile stretch of 70 mph speed cameras from Perth to Stirling i use less fuel without Cruise Control,

but use it anyway just to save checking my speed all the time.

& the CC & Speedo are at 72 mph to be doing the 70 MPH.

Anst, try not to spend your time trying to get the best mpg's at the moment. Don't use cruise control if you have it during the first few hundred miles as it can prevent the engine from properly running in. Your job is to vary the throttle and power setting as much as you can to run in the engine. The best way to ruin your motor is to drive it with a fixed throttle setting for long periods or drive it too gently during the first few hundred miles as the engine will just glaze the cylinder bores causing the motor not to run in properly. This will affect future engine efficiency and particularly the fuel economy. So just drive it normally paying attention to the owners manual about running in, and observe the fuel economy later. It will substantially improve if you drive her right over the coming next few hundred miles and so will the power output. Have fun, enjoy!

Agreed!

I was always taught not to maintain the engine at certain revs for too long too, as using various revs helps it break in better. Cruise doesnt really allow that, as its just sat at the set RPM. 

How true it is, who knows. There seems to be quite a few theories on running in. One is to thrash its tits off straight from the Dealers... hmm. 

• 2 weeks later...

1800 miles on mine and i get 37mpg around town and upwards of 50mpg on a motorway running ~80mph... I'm happy. usually get around 400 miles to the tank (1/4 full for refill) 

Have had the car (1.2 tsi sel) since April and done 5.5k.

Round the town anything from 35 to 40 mpg depending on journey length and traffic conditions and on longer runs 45 to 50 working on 4.5 LTS per gallon. I am sure someone will tell me the exact conversion rate to several decimal places :) Joe

Edited by JoePeddos

Round the town anything from 35 to 40 mpg depending on journey length and traffic conditions and on longer runs 45 to 50 working on 4.5 LTS per gallon. I am sure someone will tell me the exact conversion rate to several decimal places :) Joe

Hi Joe, the number you want is : 4.54609 Litres per Imperial Gallon. That's the number commonly used in the oil industry so near enough.

http://m.convertworld.com/en/

Hi Joe, the number you want is : 4.54609 Litres per Imperial Gallon. That's the number commonly used in the oil industry so near enough.

I think I am a very sad person ☹️ I worked out using your figures on my average mpg of 8k a year the difference between my calculation of 4.5 mpg and your more accurate 4.54609 mpg I am out by +18 gallons a year I will stick with my 4.5 mpg and fool myself into thinking I am getting a better mpg than I actually am :)) Joe

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Bit of a bump... but I was very pleased with this! 

4q050Ln.jpg

Especially given the average speed. For what it's worth- the official Urban figure is 47.1 mpg, and I was driving with the A/C on. The car's done about 550 miles so far, so it's a fresh engine too! It's a 1.2 TSI 90 hatch. 

I dont give a dime, well penny, for any mpg figure because it is depending on so many factors like environment; mountain, hilly, flatland, windy, temperature etc, personal driving style, urban/countryside/highway driving and so on.

Which is why the EU driving cycle isnt appliable to neither your or my car but is usuable for comparison. Only, and hopefully without too much hokey-pokey from the manufacturer.

Well of course 'your mileage may vary', but considering how badly so many cars do compared to their official figures, I was impressed! This was driving around Manchester, not a city that's known for good traffic, from cold, for a grand total of 5 miles! Today, in much worse traffic, and weirdly with the stop/start deciding not to play ball, it got 42. I'm seriously impressed with this car- it's getting better MPG than my old Focus 1.6 TDCI on the same journeys. Of course the Focus is a bigger car, but diesels should be much better. And I'm not exactly hypermiling it either.

I genuinely don't think that the manufacturer figures are worth much in comparison either. Take a look at the various figures reported by people on HonestJohn's RealMPG thing. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg

They vary enormously.

I made a trip to Portsmouth at the weekend (approx 100 miles each way, mainly dual carriageway).

I returned 50.5mpg on the way down doing about 70 mph most of the way but slowed it down a bit on the way back to 60-65 mph and achieved 58.5mpg despite two slow downs on A3(Guildford and Wisley) and hold up on M25(J3-J2).

Car is a 1.2 TSI 110PS DSG.

• 1 month later...

What most people don't know (or don't seem to know):- Fuel consumption rises exponentially above 60 mph and it's all down to air resistance rather than you putting your foot down on the pedal. Why 60?, well I don't know but statistics have proved it. This means that unless you are in a desperate hurry, on a journey of 20/30 miles or less, there is little point in doing 70 mph or more. The few minutes you save by going faster are irrelevant. This is why you will see many commercials limited to 60 mph - the owners know what difference it makes to fuel consumption. On a recent 16 mile round trip and keeping to that 60 max, my 1.2 TSI 90 returned 62 mpg; it has now done a few miles so it is probably fairly well "run in", which does make a difference.