Power supply to cigarette lighter outlet.

I have noticed that the new fabia's do not cut off power supply to the 12v cigarette outlet in the cabin while the ca is switched off and locked. Checked on my car - style with kessy, an my son's ambiente with regular switch. Any ideas? Is it normal? I find it problematic - can it be switched off?

Not just Skoda, any car in the VAG stable, my Audi also maintains power to the cigarette lighter socket as did my late fathers Fabia MK2 and my previous two Octavias and Superb Mk2.

Perfectly normal and not a fault.

Check the fuse that supplies the socket, on the Golf and Octavia the fuse can be placed in 2 positions one is full time power the other is switched with the ignition.  The Golf comes with the fuse in the switched position and the Octavia comes with it in the on full time position. 

I do not know the Fabia but if you can identify the fuse number look at the fuse position and if it is selectable the fuse holder will have 3 connectors, the middle is the outlet to the socket the the top and bottom positions will be either permanent live or switched live.

Look at 'Step 2' in the first post inn this thread to see what it looks like in the Octavia/Golf

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294828-fitting-a-multiway-cigy-adapter-to-a-mk3-octavia/#entry4342037

Or this post 

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=266433.0

Check the fuse that supplies the socket, on the Golf and Octavia the fuse can be placed in 2 positions one is full time power the other is switched with the ignition.  The Golf comes with the fuse in the switched position and the Octavia comes with it in the on full time position. 

I do not know the Fabia but if you can identify the fuse number look at the fuse position and if it is selectable the fuse holder will have 3 connectors, the middle is the outlet to the socket the the top and bottom positions will be either permanent live or switched live.

Look at 'Step 2' in the first post inn this thread to see what it looks like in the Octavia/Golf

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294828-fitting-a-multiway-cigy-adapter-to-a-mk3-octavia/#entry4342037

Or this post 

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=266433.0

Does not look that it has two installation positions on the Fabia.  :envy:

Edited by zoharin

If the above advice doesn't work out you can buy an adaptor that adds a switch to make it a bit easier than constantly removing the plug

Do you know where to find one ? Thanks.

Just a note: The car will monitor the electrical power consumption, and disable the consumers as appropiate. That is due to the the VW MQB platform.

Thanks torslunde!

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old but...I was wondering if you'd verified that indeed the Fabia III won't drain if a dashcam is left on using the cigarette lighter socket.

I know this thread is a bit old but...I was wondering if you'd verified that indeed the Fabia III won't drain if a dashcam is left on using the cigarette lighter socket.

Hi,

I leave my dash cam on for a few hours when parking in public places, no problem with battery drain, btw as mentioned in this thread by torslunde, probably the car is monitoring power consumption and will disable the outlet if needed.

• Like 1

Low load electrical items, such as a dash cam, side lights etc are not monitored by the vehicle control unit so will drain the battery. Seat heaters and heavy use stuff are monitored and wll be shut down. See page 160 in the handbook. 

• Like 2

I've piggybacked on a fuse that is ignition controlled. The only problem is that you have to drill through the fuse box to get the wire out but there are plenty of spare places to drill through. I'll check the number fuse and post it up later.

I'm on PCP and wouldn't want to do anything permanent to the car. It's like insurance, isn't it. Any issue and they walk away leaving you out of pocket.

Edit:

I've looked up the Power Magic Pro, which is a battery discharge prevention device - with timer. Reasonably cheap, highly recommended. Maybe that's the best option to get recordings while parked without repeated overdrain.

Edited by Osmosis

I piggybacked on fuse 30. If anyone is interested.WP_20160410_001.jpg

Very useful indeed. Where did you buy the piggy back fuse from and what size is it?

I had a look at the fuse box and there's enough room to run wires between the cover and finger holes at the base. Then back up behind that area.

Bought these:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-12-24V-Add-Circuit-Fuses-Tap-Piggy-Back-MINI-Blade-Fuse-Box-Holder-ATM-APM-/252067682579?hash=item3ab0679913

I used the supplied fuse but it should be 2 amp but I have the 2 amp fuse in the lead for the dash cam so that will blow first so I don't think it matters. My lead from the fusebox goes to a female lighter socket which the dashcam lead plugs into.

This the female socket, cut the crocs off. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-12v-Portable-Auxiliary-aux-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-with-Crocodile-Clips-/251960719261?hash=item3aaa07779d

If you take the sidepanel off the dash you will find plenty of room to put everything and use one of the big bolts for the earth. The sidepanel comes off by inserting a slim lever in the side closest to you and levering it away. If you do it this way make sure you tape the socket and plug together as they can spring apart, at which point, one starts swearing.

Edited by peter3197

Bought these:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-12-24V-Add-Circuit-Fuses-Tap-Piggy-Back-MINI-Blade-Fuse-Box-Holder-ATM-APM-/252067682579?hash=item3ab0679913

I used the supplied fuse but it should be 2 amp but I have the 2 amp fuse in the lead for the dash cam so that will blow first so I don't think it matters. My lead from the fusebox goes to a female lighter socket which the dashcam lead plugs into.

This the female socket, cut the crocs off. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-12v-Portable-Auxiliary-aux-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-with-Crocodile-Clips-/251960719261?hash=item3aaa07779d

If you take the sidepanel off the dash you will find plenty of room to put everything and use one of the big bolts for the earth. The sidepanel comes off by inserting a slim lever in the side closest to you and levering it away. If you do it this way make sure you tape the socket and plug together as they can spring apart, at which point, one starts swearing.

That's great. Many thanks. Now I know where a ground could go. I'm heading more towards the Power Magic Pro for an ignition-on or always-on without knackering battery - scenario.

I piggybacked on fuse 30. If anyone is interested.WP_20160410_001.jpg

This is exactly what I've been looking for as I wanted to do it this way for my TomTom, is it the mini fuse size you've used. Also, what size amp fuse should I use, thanks in advance, your pic is spot on.