High Mileage CR- what the potential issues?

Looking at a 2009 170cr with just over 100k miles on it.

It seems to have been looked after but what pitfalls are there at this mileage on these engines?

As far as I know clutch is original as is turbo. EGR etc has been cleaned up and it seemed to pull well.

The high mileage seems to have been from a lot of motorway miles.

I have a FL 2010 vRS CR DSG fast approaching 97k which has done mainly motorway mileage. The only thing that's cost me outside the routine maintenance schedule was a Turbo Actuator at 85k - lost power and went into like-mode. Cost £320 to sort. All other costs have been as per service schedule along with the biggy's of Tming Belt/WP at 75k and DSG gearbox service every 30k.

I guess if the car has been well maintained you should have no real issues. My approach is to be proactive rather reactive to potential issues by trying to eliminate risk wherever possible. My car is about to get its first new set of brakes/pads all-round but I could probably get to 100k on the originals. I have the oil and filters changes every 10k without fail. Every time I fill up it gets a dose of Millers Ecomax additive.

They are really robust cars and my Mrs has had more problems with her Mini's than I've ever had with my vRS.

Had my 170 CR  just coming up 6 years from new - now clocked up 134k and still going strong. New aux water pump and turbo actuator in the past year but I gather they are common failures, and weren't too expensive to get fixed by my local indy. I do mostly motorway miles, and maintenance is key - I have mine on variable servicing but do an oil/filter change mid-way. I expect it to go soldiering on for some time yet (hopefully!).

Cheers,

Bob

--

Yeah this one has had the variable but more recently has had more services.  Car seemed okay, only issue for me is DPF as in general my commute is 10miles each way on a/b roads but we will use this more at the weekends as the family car as well which tends to be longer trips.  My wife has the TFSI version so I thought it would be good to have the best of both worlds.

Edited by coullstar

Mostly 10 mile trips is a bit short for a diesel. I drive my son 11 miles to school each morning, and even with the engine pre-heated by the Webasto parking heater, the engine is first proper warmed up when I go back again, which I can tell by the instant fuel consumption dropping to the minimum.

I've just recently bought this Octavia II FL from 2011 with 200 k kilometers or 125 k miles on the odo and it runs like a champ, only better now with a remap and EGR delete, resulting in a gain from 102 to 142 HP

Using VCDS, I can se that DPF regeneration occurs every 450 km or 300 miles.

The DPF will be one to watch, as the car gets older (not just higher mileage) the DPF get's more and more of a risk. Less of an issue on the CR170 but not infallable. £450 to remove it.

Saw toothing on the rear wheels is common issue on the vRS, stick 'saw toothing' into the search bar.

Other than that it will be the turbo (check for whistles) and the DMF (juddering at high load (low gear) / low RPM).

If it has rusty sills I'd be walking away though, unless it is very cheap. A common issue on the pre-FL MkII Octavia due to the low level of the under paint protection. It was applied higher up the sill on the FL so shouldn't be an issue.

A 2009 could be a very late pre-FL or one of the first FL cars...

SkodaOctaviavRS.jpg

Thanks we have a pre FL VRS already and had the sills sorted when we got that.  Its actually an LE version so has the leather etc in it.  Yeah I don't warrant a diesel at the moment with the mileage and my preference is petrol its just most cars these days are diesel.   

• 2 years later...

200k is a lot. Could be great, could be near end of life. Depends on how its been (mis)used and serviced over its lifetime. Its pot luck, but if its cheap enough, could you afford to scrap it if it goes expensively wrong?

I have the 140 2.0 Elegance dsg  11 reg, just wondering why these more powerful models should be different at higher mileage, mine has done 95000m and been serviced by Skoda dealer since new at every two years. Had the condensor  leak and replaced under warranty and few rear light bulbs and indicater bulb go , when I say go they said each time they were going dim, proberly having me on .

On 10/26/2015 at 12:28, vRS Bob said:

Had my 170 CR  just coming up 6 years from new - now clocked up 134k and still going strong. New aux water pump and turbo actuator in the past year but I gather they are common failures, and weren't too expensive to get fixed by my local indy. I do mostly motorway miles, and maintenance is key - I have mine on variable servicing but do an oil/filter change mid-way. I expect it to go soldiering on for some time yet (hopefully!).

Cheers,

Bob

--

As he said, I'm on 146,700, turbo actuator went at 140,000 and I have fault code for aux coolant pump. Both not to expensive.

Edited by Kris82

My 2011 170CR is just coming up to 160k. Other than usual service items the only thing I've had to replace is a broken coil spring thanks to our fantastic roads :( Planning on keeping it another couple of years and all seems well at the moment :)