Real World MPG figures

10 mile trip on cold engine to beach this morning with the dog, and back 2 hours later I managed 48 without trying. I'm not pushing it hard, but neither am I trying to eke out every drop. Oil temp didn't hit normal operating on either run, max 75°C so far from max efficiency. Rereading some of the posts, some of you seem to be getting some really poor results, though it could be an optimistic trip comp as I'm still only ⅔ way through first tank of fuel!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

1,4 act, manual, mixed driving, <4000rpm, 300km done (15 km trips), ~7 liters/100km (trip computer data), average outside temperature: -8C, webasto preheating on (not so sure that trip computer calculates that data)

2.0 TDI 150 manual hatch, 3200 miles, mainly A roads and duals, trip computer says 49.7 overall mpg. Manual calculation today after fuelling up (at 97.9ppl) and it comes to 47mpg. It's just not improving.

I've just finished my first tank of diesel and the trip computer recorded it as 43.5mpg, I calculated it at 44.5mpg....overall on the trip computer it shows 41.5mpg! 

Its early days yet and still Winter (yes I know its unusually mild) so I'm hoping for it to improve a couple of mpg over the next 6 months or so.  90% of my driving is to work and back (34 miles round trip) on a mix of town, country and dual carriageway roads.  For comparison my previous Octavia Estate 1.6 TDI averaged 53mpg on the same journey. 

I'm driving a 2.0 TDI 150 Estate 4x4 so I don't think its too bad but was hoping for high 40's....

Once I've run mine in (so that will be around 10am tomorrow when I'll roll over 1000 miles) I'm going to conduct a worst possible bench mark test. It worked with my leon, I knew that whatever I did, I'd always be no worse than break even.

Sorry for posting again but my mpg is improving, just passed the 1000 mile mark.

80 miles this morning with quite a bit of stop start on the m62, averaged 54mpg. I am happy now! If I can keep it around the 50 mark it will be great.

Over the 3500 miles I have done maxi dot long term average is 50.5 mpg . My 38 mile commute this morning showed 55 mpg so it is going in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My mpg is slowly increasing now as well. 2.0tdi 150, 2500miles and now averaging 48/49mpg compared to 41ish on my first four tanks of fuel. It is definitely better if I don't use the acc as well.

I am now on 2500 miles. Long term according to the obc is 50.1. Mixture of A roads and reasonable lanes with one or two longer (100+) M way trips. I don't do fill to fill etc just take the obc as a constant reference base.

I did notice this morning, however, something I hadn't seen before. Short round trip (28 miles) from cold on A road at around 40/50 with a couple of miles into/out of town. Normal setting on DCC. Just usual ac running, no other consumables. Average start to stop mpg 63.1 ! Thats at least 8 mpg more than I have noted for any journey so far.

Don't ask me what that means; I don't have a clue why it has suddenly jumped to those dizzy heights. BUT I hope it repeats it time and time again :happy:

• Like 2

Set ACC to eco so it accelerates more gently up to target speed.

Thanks but this doesn't seem to make any difference to mine. other than it feeling like it's hideously underpowered :-)

Set ACC to eco so it accelerates more gently up to target speed.

It is actually better for fuel economy to accelerate relatively fast.

With acc in sports mode it brakes late which is bad, though

You could argue the science either way perhaps. I've not, and not about to experiment with it. I can only assume thst VAG engineers did some form of testing in order to differentiate between sport and eco modes; they wouldn't have just made them up.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Filled up for third time yesterday. 1800 miles now, brim to brim calculated at 52.3mpg. MaxiDot seems to be inflating the MPG by about 7% on the calculations I've done. MaxiDot best is 68.1 mpg on 20 mile trip to work, mainly at 50mph due to motorway road works. 200 road trip from Manchester to Coventry, in rush hour both ways on Tuesday, showed 62.8mpg, so proably in the high 50's calculated.

Redditch to Preston at 80 to 85 53mpg. Preston to Haverfordwest across mid Wales, patience setting at medium; 45mpg

If I drove it as aggressively as the Leon, which would drop to 28mpg over that route, I'm guessing I'd get around 40. Lord knows how you manage with the lesser powered diesel engines, as the 190 really needs another 100Nm of torque to make it a decent cross country machine

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Edited by stever750

I've driven diesels for the last 9 years and always notice a reduction in MPG in the winter. Apparently it's because of the additives added to the fuel this time of year to stop the diesel from freezing if it ever gets cold enough! So economy figures should improve in springtime.

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again, I think the poor MPG figures quoted for the Superb III are down to remapped ECU's since dieselgate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am currently somewhere in Mansfield, suffice to say I now have proof that the 190 TDi is certainly not producing that!

Will update later ....

Edited by Gizmo68
  • Like 1

I personally feel a lot of people's expectations are completely unrealistic and also not understanding what a difference the winter makes.

It is common knowledge that published MPG figures mean diddly squat and I would not part with my cash based on those figures alone.

60mpg out of a car the size of the current Superb is dreamland, the laws of physics say so!

I drive about 50,000 miles a year in a Passat estate 2.0 diesel 140. In summer cruising at 80 on the motorway I get around 48mpg. At the moment and for most of winter it is around 42mpg and quite often below 40.

I will be amazed if the Superb I am about to order will get anywhere near 55mpg and I'm ordering the 1.6 Greenline which is designed for economy.

On the other hand if you were getting these figures in a car he size of a Fabia, I'd understand the frustration.