Real World MPG figures

I am currently somewhere in Mansfield, suffice to say I now have proof that the 190 TDi is certainly not producing that!

Will update later ....

Think I will let this do the talking:

4e2e3d03-870f-42e1-be28-883a7084224e_zps

A Škoda Superb CR190 should produce 190+ bhp & 400 Nm torque from the factory, according to their own figures (VAG are usually slightly more than they state), however, mine actually produced just: 

171 bhp & 388 Nm !! 

So basically no more powerful than a std MKII Superb CR170 (my MKII Estate was 171 BHP & 361 Nm) but with a little more torque.

A very steady run up to Mansfield @ 65MPH with no traffic at all, as I left early hours, saw a rather disappointing 53 MPG (although this was the best I have achieved to date) 

The return trip was done at 70 - 75 MPH with lots of traffic (1430 on a Saturday) yet I had managed 57 MPG by the time I hit the traffic on the M25, so I detoured to go via Blackwall tunnel and hit loads more traffic so by the time I arrived home this had dropped to 55.5 MPG, these are all Maxidot figures so not 100% accurate, my total MPG to date was sitting at 45 MPG, this has already risen to 47 MPG already (it was a 250 round trip and approx 30 miles on the dyno... as LOTS of runs were done)

A big thanks goes to Ben for spending so long on the car getting it to where he was happy to let me take it away, am I happy? .... just a bit! :sun:  

So IMO the reason why the MKIII Superb does not need a recall for the emissions and fails to get ANYWHERE NEAR the quoted MPG figures is because they have already ‘screwed’ them down! 

• Like 2

I drive about 50,000 miles a year in a Passat estate 2.0 diesel 140. In summer cruising at 80 on the motorway I get around 48mpg. At the moment and for most of winter it is around 42mpg and quite often below 40.

I will be amazed if the Superb I am about to order will get anywhere near 55mpg and I'm ordering the 1.6 Greenline which is designed for economy.

On the other hand if you were getting these figures in a car he size of a Fabia, I'd understand the frustration.

Travelling at 80 MPH I would fully agree with you, speed is the biggest single killer when trying to get maximum economy.

A Škoda Superb CR190 should produce 190+ bhp & 400 Nm torque from the factory, according to their own figures (VAG are usually slightly more than they state), however, mine actually produced just:

171 bhp & 388 Nm !!

So basically no more powerful than a std MKII Superb CR170 (my MKII Estate was 171 BHP & 361 Nm) but with a little more torque.

A very steady run up to Mansfield @ 65MPH with no traffic at all, as I left early hours, saw a rather disappointing 53 MPG (although this was the best I have achieved to date)

The return trip was done at 70 - 75 MPH with lots of traffic (1430 on a Saturday) yet I had managed 57 MPG by the time I hit the traffic on the M25, so I detoured to go via Blackwall tunnel and hit loads more traffic so by the time I arrived home this had dropped to 55.5 MPG, these are all Maxidot figures so not 100% accurate, my total MPG to date was sitting at 45 MPG, this has already risen to 47 MPG already (it was a 250 round trip and approx 30 miles on the dyno... as LOTS of runs were done)

A big thanks goes to Ben for spending so long on the car getting it to where he was happy to let me take it away, am I happy? .... just a bit! :sun:

So IMO the reason why the MKIII Superb does not need a recall for the emissions and fails to get ANYWHERE NEAR the quoted MPG figures is because they have already ‘screwed’ them down!

Do you know if you can use the sts system with this ecu? I've asked a couple if times but still waiting an answer

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Do you know if you can use the sts system with this ecu? I've asked a couple if times but still waiting an answer

Not 100% sure but it is very similar to the Octavia (and is all done via the OBD port) so I would imagine so?

• Like 1

I personally feel a lot of people's expectations are completely unrealistic and also not understanding what a difference the winter makes.

It is common knowledge that published MPG figures mean diddly squat and I would not part with my cash based on those figures alone.

60mpg out of a car the size of the current Superb is dreamland, the laws of physics say so!

I drive about 50,000 miles a year in a Passat estate 2.0 diesel 140. In summer cruising at 80 on the motorway I get around 48mpg. At the moment and for most of winter it is around 42mpg and quite often below 40.

I will be amazed if the Superb I am about to order will get anywhere near 55mpg and I'm ordering the 1.6 Greenline which is designed for economy.

On the other hand if you were getting these figures in a car he size of a Fabia, I'd understand the frustration.

I too am near 50K per year driving, and as stated above, it's hardly any surprise you are getting crap fuel economy if you are traveling at 80mph.

Try this experiment and come back on here and report your findings. The next time you have a motorway run consisting of 100+ miles, leave a little earlier and do the run at a steady 60-65mph, and see the difference. I have an SII 170BHP manual and I get easily 60mpg at those speeds.

EDIT: I've just run some figures. I did a round trip to Heathrow T4 from just outside bridgend on Monday, then on Tuesday I had to go to Morriston hospital to collect a customer and take them to Bristol airport. The maxi dot was showing 40 miles left in the tank when I put £40 of fuel in the car on Monday prior to my run to Heathrow. I did both the jobs on that amount of fuel and when I returned after the bristol job I had about the same amount of fuel left in the tank (40 miles). I did both runs with the cruise control set at 70mph for the motorway sections and the weather hasn't been that good so wipers, lights, rear de-mist etc, etc, all used. I averaged 55mpg over the 495 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jaytip
  • Like 1

171 bhp & 388 Nm !! 

That makes a disappointing read. Did Shark say whether they'd had any other S3's in? I'm guessing unlikely! Makes me wonder what my 150 is putting out. Certainly feels no quicker than a previous Mondeo TDCi 130!

171 bhp & 388 Nm !! 

How many miles have you done? Many engines take many 1000's of mile to achieve their full potential

Also have you quoted the power at the driven wheels when the original bhp is quoted at the flywheel. The difference is usually about 10% (190-10% = 171)

Unfortunately with the emissions factory attached to a modern diesel exhaust pipe (catalyst, DPF, SCR) economy will ultimately suffer - still think yours will improve further though

Edited by bigjohn

I too am near 50K per year driving, and as stated above, it's hardly any surprise you are getting crap fuel economy if you are traveling at 80mph.

Try this experiment and come back on here and report your findings. The next time you have a motorway run consisting of 100+ miles, leave a little earlier and do the run at a steady 60-65mph, and see the difference. I have an SII 170BHP manual and I get easily 60mpg at those speeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

indeed, 80mph uses a lot more fuel than 70mph (i.e. not just 1/7 more). CoCarUser16 I think you may be surprised with the economy of your 1.6 CR after all, though my earlier post in the thread agrees with you in the main. My previous gen (mk2) Superb 1.9 PD Greenline was very economical on long steady runs. Here I headed from Liverpool to Brighton varying between 50mph (roadwork stretches) to 70mph. The end result was 78mpg maxidot and 73mpg brim-to-brim. Please excuse the shaky shot and wonky angle; my wife leant over on a straight section and snapped a quick one  between my arms for posterity.

Superbeconomy.jpg

That makes a disappointing read. Did Shark say whether they'd had any other S3's in? I'm guessing unlikely! Makes me wonder what my 150 is putting out. Certainly feels no quicker than a previous Mondeo TDCi 130!

Mine was the 1st S3 they had seen, which is why I wanted to make the trip to them rather than a local Shark dealer.

When I test drove the S3 it is now clear why 190 felt slower than my 170 MKII (mapped to 200 bhp)

How many miles have you done? Many engines take many 1000's of mile to achieve their full potential

Also have you quoted the power at the driven wheels when the original bhp is quoted at the flywheel. The difference is usually about 10%

I have only put just over 2.5k miles on her, but my 170 Superb and Yeti had 35k & 20k miles and the economy had not improved by much.

Both figures are in the graph above, but no I quoted flywheel figures.

When I test drove the S3 it is now clear why 190 felt slower than my 170 MKII (mapped to 200 bhp)

I have only put just over 2.5k miles on her, but my 170 Superb and Yeti had 35k & 20k miles and the economy had not improved by much.

Both figures are in the graph above, but no I quoted flywheel figures.

When I got my old Octavia from new (OK very different power output!!!) it dramatically improved at about 4k miles

Re-map available for your S3 yet?

Eerm, yes as of today... see the chart above.

Should have gone to Specsavers  :devil:

Original a hell of a drop off before 4000 revs as well on the comparison figures

Where do do stand re warranty? - You've got me thinking about a remap but still have over years warranty left

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Should have gone to Specsavers [emoji317]

Original a hell of a drop off before 4000 revs as well on the comparison figures

Where do do stand re warranty? - You've got me thinking about a remap but still have over years warranty left

You can forget warranty if you remap it, although if you remove it you might be OK. You can use a switchable map system like sharks sts if compatible (I don't know that it is) so reform to standard when taking it in for servicing etc. But, it's impossible to hide the number of times the ecu has been flashed, so there is always a smoking gun if the claim is big enough, and warrants deeper than investigation. I read on a golf owners forum about early Rs blowing up turbos. Vwuk were sending the ecu to Germany to be checked for evidence of tampering, as often it requires a new cat and engine strop down to check for shrapnel ingress..... Remember also that if s turbo pops on a diesel engine, then there is a strong possibility that the engine will run away and either disintegrate from over revving or burn off all of the oil overheat and seize.

Despite that I'd be tempted but not on a new engine.

• Like 1

53.5 from West wales to Heathrow via Ystrad Mynach. Most of the time ACC set to 75mph, but the detour took me off the M4 at neath and up the heads of the valleys road to merthyr then down the 470. If it never gets better that's good enough got me, I never bother reading the manufacturers claims so they are never a target of expectation

How's this for a 1.4act manual, Amesbury to Staines, 65 steady miles with about 12 miles of 50mph road works. Car set in eco mode.

IMAG1127_zpsobzdegog.jpg

Posts like this make me wonder whether my incoming 220ps 2.0 TSI was really such an improvement over 150ps for day to day driving... Fantastic economy from a great engine there. :clap: You must be very pleased (especially given the 2.0 diesel results lol). Hopefully the 2.0 won't be too far behind (I'll be more than happy with 35mpg).

Posts like this make me wonder whether my incoming 220ps 2.0 TSI was really such an improvement over 150ps for day to day driving... Fantastic economy from a great engine there. :clap: You must be very pleased (especially given the 2.0 diesel results lol). Hopefully the 2.0 won't be too far behind (I'll be more than happy with 35mpg).

My old S2 2.0TSi longterm average is 36.4 mpg, & I'm happy with that. 

It's a little better than my EOS but a little worse than the vRS.

Different driving styles, perhaps, different weights, but all economical enough for us.

As for your new.car, you may not use the extra power very often, but it will come in handy when you need it....

DC

• Like 1

No I didn't Nick, but it's not a new engine so I imagine they would have done some before.

Give them a ring, they are short staffed so it may take a while to get in touch, but it really is worth persevering as their maps are excellent.

Edited by Gizmo68
  • Like 1

No I didn't Nick, but it's not a new engine so I imagine they would have done some before.

Give them a ring, they are short staffed so it may take a while to get in touch, but it really is worth persevering as their maps are excellent.

They do one for the EA888 engine, so the 280 / 300 TSI. It's on their website, from memory it's 350bhp and 500Nm torque

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Only 500 miles on my 2.0 TSI 220 PS DSG. My daily commute is only 5 miles each way and MPG is currently around 26 in Eco mode.

Should I expect improvement after run-in?

Has anyone achieved better MPG by changing gears manually?

Edited by fj604

Only 500 miles on my 2.0 TSI 220 PS DSG. My daily commute is only 5 miles each way and MPG is currently around 26 in Eco mode.

Should I expect improvement after run-in?

Has anyone achieved better MPG by changing gears manually?

Open up your maxi-dot & look for MFD options.

You "should" be able to see a tick-box for "Oil Temperature", if you open that 

you will probably find that your engine oil doesn't get to normal operating temperature

(95+C ) during your commute, especially in the morning.

The TSi engine seem to run rich whilst they are cold & fuel consumption suffers accordingly.

My 12 mile Tesco round trip gives 27 - 30 mpg, but the 18+ mile trip between our homes 

gives 35/40 mpg, depending on how I'm driving......

Your car will loosen-up, but with such a short commute it will take time.

DC

• Like 1