ACC Traveling abroad

Not sure if this has been answered before but, If ACC wont allow you to undertake in the UK (and quite rightly so) what will happen when I go on my annual trip to France driving down the motorway it will think I'm always trying to undertake when I'm actually overtaking. I know you can turn it off but I would normally do 500 to 600 miles in a day cruise control has been a god send in the past and would not want to do without it.

Anyone got any ideas?

I think there is a tourist mode you can activate that may solve this?

Tried that (see below). As it's in the "Light" section it will be no surprise to learn that all it does is flatten/level the nearside dipped-beam pattern. Choosing "Right-hand traffic" does not raise the offside beam pattern.

This is the same behaviour as the Xenon equipped Mk.II Superb, where the maxidot option was to simply switch Travel Mode on or off.

Unlike the Mk.II it did not appear to disable AFS (the Adaptive Frontlight System).

If you have Sat Nav the car will/should know where it is Via GPS therefor it might adapt   :yes:

No sat nav, no Idea   :no:

Unfortunately I think that may be wishful thinking. If Škoda/VAG went to the extent of linking GPS to the ACC then

[a] you wouldn't expect ACC to be offered without SatNav, which it is on the SE

why not link the Travel Mode lights too?

[c] you would expect it to be mentioned somewhere (it's not mentioned in the brochure, manual or Simply Clever).

In the Octavia it just worked for me. Irrespective of country.

Having read comments about the Octavia ACC in this thread it does appear that the ACC on the Superb behaves different to the Octavia, in as far as not allowing you to undertake.

I briefly tried a little experiment this evening to try to simulate driving on the right.

I had already set the lights to "Travel Mode - Right-hand traffic". DCC was set to "Normal". Distance was preset to the second closest setting. DSG kept in Drive.

I drove onto the 4 lane section of the M25 at Jn.10 and flicked on the ACC which activated at 72 mph.

Upon approach to Jn.11 the nearside lane, Lane 1, becomes a long dedicated lane for the junction while Lanes 2, 3 and 4 continue M25 northbound.

Lane 1 was empty all the way ahead of me and I caught up with a slower moving LGV, large goods vehicle, travelling in Lane 2.

The ACC detected the LGV in the next (offside) lane and the Maxidot briefly displayed that information.

My car started to slow and matched the speed of the goods vehicle at 55 mph and would not pass on the nearside, proving that the Travel Mode alone has no effect on ACC.

After a short distance at 55 mph I put my left-hand indicator on and simultaneously gave the accelerator the slightest brief touch.

The car immediattly accelerated smoothly back up to 72 mph, passing on the nearside of the LGV.

So something triggered the ACC to override the "no undertaking" - unfortunately I don't know if it was the use of the indicator or simply touching the throttle pedal.

I'm off to Germany next month, so I'll see for myself just how ACC behaves in a "live" drive-on-the-right scenario.

It will also be interesting (to me) to see if deactivating "Front Assist (ambient traffic monitor system)" has any effect on ACC "undertaking" (as in overtaking on the continent). Personally I doubt it.

Finally, it will be nice when I learn to stop flicking the wrong stalk. Flashing main beam does not activate ACC and indicating does not increase or decrease the set speed!!!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your replies very detailed and let's hope Billy Jim can come up with a solution. Really interesting have fun on the autobahns in Germany. They are a lot of fun and people in the uk could learn a lot about driving on motorways from them. Also you should enjoy them in you new 280bhp rocket.

• Like 1

I suspect the indicator cancelled it, in that when abroad you would use this to change lane to the left to overtake. Be interesting to know how it copes after that if you stay in the left lane trying to pass others.

• Like 1

I posted the same question recently, I emailed Skoda last night.

They rang this morning but couldn't offer a solution, he is going to contact the technical dept and call me back when he has more info.

• Like 2

I posted the same question recently, I emailed Skoda last night.

They rang this morning but couldn't offer a solution, he is going to contact the technical dept and call me back when he has more info.

I look forward to reading what they tell you.

Generally they (Škoda Customer Services) are quite quick to respond.

• Like 1

As an update from Skoda.

Little man from Skoda called me today, he said I was wrong.

The technical people from Skoda had said the ACC system doesn't care which side the other cars are on and only uses the car directly infront as it's "target"

He advised that all the tech info relating to the ACC was in the handbook!

As an update from Skoda.

Little man from Skoda called me today, he said I was wrong.

The technical people from Skoda had said the ACC system doesn't care which side the other cars are on and only uses the car directly infront as it's "target"

He advised that all the tech info relating to the ACC was in the handbook!

The liitle man from Skoda is correct :)

I've driven a few VAG cars with ACC, currently a Golf R. The radar detects a 'target' car in front and will keep your distance on this target.

Depending on the angle / distance you are in relation to the target, it may deem it is still a 'target', even in another lane.

I ofter exerate my overtake angle or change lanes early when overtaking to prevent the ACC braking.

The manual states the following:

Regulation according to the vehicle in the adjacent lane

During regulation your vehicle may be regulated according to the vehicle in the adjacent lane.

This could occur at speeds above 80km/h when your vehicle is moving faster than the vehicle in the adjacent lane on the driver's side. The display shows the detected vehicle is in the adjacent lane.

I have noted that a gentle dip of the go pedal will override the ACC is in these circumstances.

KP

• Like 1

Had the same feedback from my local today. The radar only targets in front. They couldn't say why it may have acted in the way reported. I guess there must be a band/range and if the lanes are narrow the trigger is activated. Maybe the radar needs adjusting on the cars reported?

I havent been able to use ACC on a dual carriage way yet but will try it asap and report back again.

Pete

• Like 1

That's the thing - it doesn't JUST target the vehicle in front. The little man from Škoda is not correct :'(.

In my #5 post my lane was dead straight and clear, so angles had nothing to do with it, but it picked up the goods vehicle in my offside lane. The Maxidot clearly showed my lane clear and the "target" as being in the next (driver's side) lane, exactly as petersky1976 quoted from the manual.

80 km/h is 50 mph, so both vehicles were above that threshold.

As I said before, I wasn't sure if the blip on the accelerator or putting on the indicator was the trigger to override the ACC, but again as petersky1976 says, it seems it is indeed the accelerator that overrides it. In my case I barely touched the accelerator, so it doesn't take much to override it.

It also ties in with an incident within 10 minutes of collecting my car from the dealer. I'd just set ACC at 70 on a dual carriageway when traffic started slowing for roadworks. I was chuffed to see my car slowing all on its own and come to a stop, a sooner than expected opportunity to test the "traffic jam" mode.

Just as I'd read, putting my hands on the steering wheel when the car in front moved caused my car to match pace. I was in the inside lane and the car had no qualms passing the slower/stationary cars on the right. So there sat I with a stupid grin on my face.

Until I reached the roadworks, which was a coned off nearside lane closure. About 50 yards before the cones started the car in front moved into a gap. My car suddenly saw an apparently empty lane in front and decided "Oh goody, let's speed up and go run some cones over!" - that quickly wiped the grin off my face.

So, undertaking (as in overtaking on continent) below 50 mph not an issue, above 50 mph touch the accelerator.

• Like 3

That's the thing - it doesn't JUST target the vehicle in front. The little man from Škoda is not correct :'(.

In my #5 post my lane was dead straight and clear, so angles had nothing to do with it, but it picked up the goods vehicle in my offside lane. The Maxidot clearly showed my lane clear and the "target" as being in the next (driver's side) lane, exactly as petersky1976 quoted from the manual.

80 km/h is 50 mph, so both vehicles were above that threshold.

As I said before, I wasn't sure if the blip on the accelerator or putting on the indicator was the trigger to override the ACC, but again as petersky1976 says, it seems it is indeed the accelerator that overrides it. In my case I barely touched the accelerator, so it doesn't take much to override it.

It also ties in with an incident within 10 minutes of collecting my car from the dealer. I'd just set ACC at 70 on a dual carriageway when traffic started slowing for roadworks. I was chuffed to see my car slowing all on its own and come to a stop, a sooner than expected opportunity to test the "traffic jam" mode.

Just as I'd read, putting my hands on the steering wheel when the car in front moved caused my car to match pace. I was in the inside lane and the car had no qualms passing the slower/stationary cars on the right. So there sat I with a stupid grin on my face.

Until I reached the roadworks, which was a coned off nearside lane closure. About 50 yards before the cones started the car in front moved into a gap. My car suddenly saw an apparently empty lane in front and decided "Oh goody, let's speed up and go run some cones over!" - that quickly wiped the grin off my face.

So, undertaking (as in overtaking on continent) below 50 mph not an issue, above 50 mph touch the accelerator.

It may need recalibration :)

I am not sure if it would need recalibration as it seems it has been designed this way. I am sure it would not be in the manual if this were not the case.

The fact it only is triggered by vehicles in the offside lane and not nearside would back this up.

It would seem the ACC on the Superb III is different to other VAG, and Skoda systems.

What is strange is the use of language "Your vehicle MAY be regulated according to the vehicle in the adjacent lane" & "This COULD occur at speeds above 80km/h...." although this could simply be to limit liability in the event of the system not working as it should.

What would be useful is knowing if the active part of the ACC could indeed be disabled temporarily as I would probably want to do this on long trips on the continent so as not to have to keep manually reassuring the car its OK to overtake on the motorways.

• Like 1

It may need recalibration :)

Why? It functioned exactly as described in the manual!

Bear in mind the subject we're talking about is ACC behaviour of a RHD car travelling on the "wrong" side of the road on the continent - on the right. So "overtaking" on the A2 Autobahn is just like "undertaking" on the M25 motorway.

In the UK, driving on the left, the ACC doesn't give a fig about overtaking vehicles at any speed, but it holds back if you're trying to undertake at a speed of over 50 mph.

There also seem to be a few differences between how the ACC on the Škoda Octavia responds (or doesn't) compared to the Škoda Superb, so there's no certainty that the ACC in your Golf will behave the same as the Superb.

(petersky1976, you beat me to it :D)

• Like 2

Why? It functioned exactly as described in the manual!

Bear in mind the subject we're talking about is ACC behaviour of a RHD car travelling on the "wrong" side of the road on the continent - on the right. So "overtaking" on the A2 Autobahn is just like "undertaking" on the M25 motorway.

In the UK, driving on the left, the ACC doesn't give a fig about overtaking vehicles at any speed, but it holds back if you're trying to undertake at a speed of over 50 mph.

There also seem to be a few differences between how the ACC on the Škoda Octavia responds (or doesn't) compared to the Škoda Superb, so there's no certainty that the ACC in your Golf will behave the same as the Superb.

(petersky1976, you beat me to it :D)

I'm sure a software tweak / update could easily be implemented to offer the feature you have described, and it may well be something that has been released on the S3.

It is however something that I haven't seen on numerous VAG cars (as well as my Golf) I have driven with ACC. I haven't driven the latest S3 though.

I'm not totally convinced it's a great feature if it is designed as described. Undertaking in its rawest form is not something that should be done on our roads, but there are lots of occasions where you need to / are required to go faster on the inside lane due to the nature of the road design.

It just seems odd to prevent certain road manoeuvres without knowing the context of the road layout.

I await Skodas response to your query :)

• Like 1

I await Skodas response to your query :)

I'm impressed - or should I be worried?

Not satisfied with the answer given by Škoda to Q102 and by the dealership to Sagalout, I've sent Škoda UK a very detailed email on this subject but I hadn't actually mentioned that here yet!

How much do you want for your crystal ball?  :$$$: :$$$: :$$$:

• Like 2

Latest update.

I have just been out and tried the ACC. It definitely will not let you underpass.

I was travelling, on longest distance setting, behind a van at about 50mph. The van pulled into the right turn box parellel to the road. The ACC braked the car almost to a standstill. I think it would have brought me to a stand if I hadn't intervened. No one behind me so I could let it run it's course but didnt want to actually stop completely. The moment I touched the throttle away we went back to speed and catch up the next vehicle in front. Mmmmmmmm.

Looks like it will be useless on the continent in that case unless Billy Jims query rings forth a better explanation than we have had up to now.

Pete

• Like 2

I don't want to fill this thread with useless updates, but here goes anyway...

Spoke with Customer Services and was given the same/similar response as others - "It's exactly the same ACC fitted in both left-hand drive and right-hand drive cars so will work whether driving on the right or the left."

Unfortunately it was a reply that had been typed into the system by someone else and the person I was speaking to was just reading it off the screen.

I pointed out the hardware may be the same - but what about the software settings? If it does indeed respond correctly then how does it determine that I'm now driving on the right and reverse the overtaking/undertaking? Does it have some kind of auto-detection and if not, can it be "reversed" or the undertaking restriction disabled by changing any other settings?

Being unable to answer this himself I was told the tech guy (who was busy on the phone) would give me a call - so still waiting.

I silently pray that it is self-detecting/adjusting. "Undertake" a few cars at speed and the system learns I must be driving on the right? Like the auto-hold learns to stay enabled after repeatedly switching it on.

Alas, whimsical speculation until either Škoda can give me a more helpful answer or I just have to 'suck it and see' when I go abroad (which won't be until the weekend before Christmas).

• Like 3

I have used ACC for 2 years now and to be honest I can't fault and more to the point probably wouldn't want a car without it. True the undertaking is takes some getting used to, remembering that this feature is a driving AID..... so when you are approaching such a situation either flick the lever to dis-engage, or in my case if conditions permit just turn the steering wheel slightly to the left to take the focus off the car you are approaching.

Again some people can't get on with the Stop/Start, which is all about controlling it with brake pressure.

Not ideal I agree but it becomes second nature, just like all things.

• Like 1

I have used ACC for 2 years now and to be honest I can't fault and more to the point probably wouldn't want a car without it. True the undertaking is takes some getting used to, remembering that this feature is a driving AID..... so when you are approaching such a situation either flick the lever to dis-engage, or in my case if conditions permit just turn the steering wheel slightly to the left to take the focus off the car you are approaching.

Again some people can't get on with the Stop/Start, which is all about controlling it with brake pressure.

Not ideal I agree but it becomes second nature, just like all things.

I appreciate your input and I agree, adapt your driving to the ability of the car, but from what I've read elsewhere the Octavia doesn't appear to have this 50+ mph "no undertaking" restriction, unless you can tell me otherwise. It's mentioned in the 2015 Superb III manual and the maxidot even has a specific display when it activates, showing the vehicle in the offside lane and not directly ahead. There's no mention of it in the 2015 Octavia III manual. From what I can summise the Octavia may "accidentally" pick up a vehicle in the offside lane, whereas the Superb "deliberately" picks it up. Bear in mind we're talking a motorway road situation which has curves rather than bends, not the bend and lane switching scenarios described in both manuals.

Flicking the ACC lever in the "no undertaking" scenario is self-defeating as a dab of the accelerator is all that's needed. That's not an issue for me in the UK as the times I'll actually be in a situation where I want to undertake at over 50mph will be very rare.

On the continent it becomes a whole different ball game. If the no undertaking doesn't adapt itself to driving on the right it becomes a constant (if not major) issue.

If I have to constantly put my foot on the accelerator to pass each vehicle on the autoroute, autobahn or autostrada then ACC becomes, quite simply, useless and will be better left switched off.

As for changing the angle of the car, at continental motorway speeds that's a recipe for disaster and not an option, especially in Germany.

Being unable to answer this himself I was told the tech guy (who was busy on the phone) would give me a call - so still waiting.

And still waiting...  :zzz:

• Like 2

BillyJim I totally agree with what you say.

In fact it would be not only pretty much useless having CC if you have to constantly have a foot hovering over the gas pedal to override it but I think the way the system works could be potentially very dangerous also. If you are travelling at European motorway speeds you could easily be passing slower vehicles at double their speed and often have vehicles travelling at similar speeds as you are very close behind you. If the road in front is clear someone following you is not going to be expecting you to decelerate or worse brake suddenly. We all know how dangerous it can be if the car in front of you suddenly and unexpectedly slows up or brakes for no good reason, especially at speed, it only takes a momentary glance at Sat Nav or the radio and there you go.

What is even more concerning is the suggestion in the manual that the cars speed MAY or COULD be regulated by the traffic in the offside lane. It should be WILL or WONT. Not knowing how the car is going to react in these situations would probably just cause me to turn the system off entirely.  I don't fancy 1500 mile round trips with no CC.

I eagerly look forward to hearing what they say BillyJim.

• Like 3