Fallout 4

Discoda

I know the exact hospital you mean, took great time, ammo and lives to clear... only to find I had to do it all again!!! :peek:

Laser weapons get through super mutants pretty easy!

Hopefully the once for the BOS quest will be it.

I have a couple of silenced pistols so stealth might not be a bad choice either that or the "SM" laser. If things go really bad the power armour will get an outing!

I've found a suppressed .45 combat rifle to be good - it has a bit more punch than a pistol, especially with a good receiver. I've got mine set with the "calibrated powerful" reciever to get more damage on critical hits. The assault rifles look interesting, but they're heavy and the ammo doesn't seem as plentiful so I've not tried one yet.

I've wandered in to some places and been killed a few times before I knew what was happening (e.g. someone high up far away with a fatman)

I've gone overkill on some missions. I got a legendary gatling laser as a random drop, and even though it's heavy and uses fusion cores, I thought I'd better take it to kill what I thought would be a super boss at the end of a mission. Turned out there was no need to lug it around.

Things can go from easy to bad quickly. I should get round to re-mapping the stealth, sprint, pip-boy keys or get better at using them - they're all on the left of my left hand. It's really annoying when I've wanted to sprint away and instead crouched or opened my pip-boy.

I pause and turn down the volume whenever there are raiders as I'm concerned about the neighbours hearing their swearing.

• Administrators

Grabbed the controller for 10mins, pocketed stealth all over, shame the jump suit is still bright blue. Suppressors on a .45 & .308 and a .308 calibrated rec + night scoped, bit more bang while moonlighting! As I'm a bit of a glass character it's slowed the game down even more. Pretty much in hide mode near any enclosed space. Even out in the open I've been rumbled while running. Going to have to ditch shep if he keeps blowing my cover though.

Cpl points in luck/scavenger seems to of solved the ammo crisis. Getting a good supply of .50cal too now... time to break out a fusion core, big red, 'ther power ranger dude and go back to some locations I've skipped. ALthough with power armor I kind of feel wrong doing anything other than melee with a big whacking stick... that seems more.... alien/avatar ;)

Don't think the suppressors are affecting range too much on the playstation. Even with breath held briefly, the scope ranges are indistinct. Currently going from door to door in Diamond city looking for loot, some big green bouncers with mostly a single hole in the head. Two if I wait till they are not looking at me. I'm still very vulnerable up close, going down quickly if I get caught out( lvl 15 ). The modified shotgun is handy :) 101 dmg rating, not sure I can get any more out of it.

Blasted frag mines are catching me out... although in a ham fisted attempt to evade one; I failed, I discovered VATS shows you the location ;) So now I've found a use for VATS, well before it was...blown up. Not hit too many bugs, or any, plenty around settlement clipping. I'm sure I'll get a few more by the sounds of it, I'm behind the curve ;) 2020 fallout4 completed thread ;)

Built the tracking (white square) scope for the suppressed 45, it's all a bit monochrome and I've not seen it do anything funky yet. any ideas, or does it need the perception tracking combo?

Built the tracking (white square) scope for the suppressed 45, it's all a bit monochrome and I've not seen it do anything funky yet. any ideas, or does it need the perception tracking combo?

Some enemies - maybe the ones that are trying to get you specifically? - are highlighted with a red diamond above their heads in normal (non-scoped) view. This stays even when you / they are behind cover, so you can see if they're coming round back to get you etc.

Plus apparently if you ever mod power armour to go invisible, normal weapon sights go invisible too but the recon sight still works.  Don't know if this applies to a stealth boy.

2020 fallout4 completed thread ;)

Complete Fallout? You're joking right!

I think there will be an actual nuclear annihilation before I complete it!

I really like the way that everyone has a different strategy to play this game.Where it be stealth to the max, or run and gun like myself!

All my armour is pocketed to I can loot and carry a small armoury around with me (I even kit out my companion with plenty of guns and spare power armour pieces for when my breaks.

I'm supposed to be wrapping the better half's presents tomorrow, but I may end up putting some serious time into Fallout!

On the subject of how much you can carry....

Quite a remarkable feat isn't it carrying 20 guns,different armour,food,meds etc

Then while looting 'press a to carry sweeping brush'

Lol where's that gonna go exactly?

• Like 1

I really like the way that everyone has a different strategy to play this game.Where it be stealth to the max, or run and gun like myself!

It is a really good diverse game isn't it, a lot of different playing styles, as well as a lot of different combinations to outcomes, kill the person, persuade them to lower their gun, or agree and submit to their requests (and many other similar scenarios). A lot to see and do, and a lot to do differently. Currently wondering why I have agreed to save Synths when everyone else apart from the Rail Road seems to hate them.

On the combat point: I am tempted to try a melee character once I have finished most of the missions on my first run through (lvl 35ish and still not been to Diamond city yet so I've a fair way to go!). A 'supersledge' or a deathclaw fist weapon are quite appealing. Might need some Jet to help with trying to batter super mutants to death though.

JRJG

My character is definitely a jumble - use stealth quite a bit but not with stealth armour.

I am finding that my character gets over encumbered too quickly though - with armour, health/food stuff and my choices of weaponry (lasers for SM, 2 choices of suppressed pistol, 1 suppressed sniper rifle, mines, grenades etc), I only have about 80 available for loot. Might have to lose a bit of protection to get pocketed for a bit more loot or drop some of my gear ( I definitely pack for every eventuality. I should probably up strength but I want to get armourer/science for upgrades on weapons/armour first.

Still the dog is quite a pack animal - can easily carry as much as me (god knows where he puts the stuff). He doesn't even clank when attacking at full load! 

My character is definitely a jumble - use stealth quite a bit but not with stealth armour.

I am finding that my character gets over encumbered too quickly though - with armour, health/food stuff and my choices of weaponry (lasers for SM, 2 choices of suppressed pistol, 1 suppressed sniper rifle, mines, grenades etc), I only have about 80 available for loot. Might have to lose a bit of protection to get pocketed for a bit more loot or drop some of my gear ( I definitely pack for every eventuality. I should probably up strength but I want to get armourer/science for upgrades on weapons/armour first.

Still the dog is quite a pack animal - can easily carry as much as me (god knows where he puts the stuff). He doesn't even clank when attacking at full load!

I don't normally have much trouble with loot space, I carry a .50cal sniper rifle, a heavy assault rifle, a silenced pistol and a shotgun (for those - 'OH S£@%!' Moments). Full Combat armour, half deep pocketed, the other half muffled, stimpacks (no weight) and rad away. I don't carry any food, drink or chems, haven't used power armour since the first deathclaw encounter either. Carrying the above I usually have about 180 spaces left for loot. Codsworth carries a good amount too, not sure exactly how much, maybe 150-200?? I only pick up armour and weapons with modifications now too, as they give the best parts when scrapped. And avoid picking up cage or spike armour due to it's weight. It's worth knowing what junk is most valuable in terms of 'materials' too. Telephones, office desk fans and blow torches for example, have good desirable materials in them, circuitry, oil, gears, but weigh relatively little. If I have a lot of tasty loot but need to continue on with a mission I stash it all in a bin/cigarette machine/skip and then come back for it all once I've finished the mission, it hasn't been stolen so far ... :bandit:

JRJG

It is a really good diverse game isn't it, a lot of different playing styles, as well as a lot of different combinations to outcomes, kill the person, persuade them to lower their gun, or agree and submit to their requests (and many other similar scenarios). A lot to see and do, and a lot to do differently. Currently wondering why I have agreed to save Synths when everyone else apart from the Rail Road seems to hate them.

On the combat point: I am tempted to try a melee character once I have finished most of the missions on my first run through (lvl 35ish and still not been to Diamond city yet so I've a fair way to go!). A 'supersledge' or a deathclaw fist weapon are quite appealing. Might need some Jet to help with trying to batter super mutants to death though.

JRJG

Ahh that is a different strategy! I am in the camp of killing every synth I come across (apart from Valentine)

I am very much a minute man at present, clearing settlements for people to live in. After that I just leave them to it! why cant they build themselves beds? :wonder:

Although I may start doing BOS missions soon, once I've found where Palidin Danse is.... I seem to have sent him to a random settlement!

I don't normally have much trouble with loot space, I carry a .50cal sniper rifle, a heavy assault rifle, a silenced pistol and a shotgun (for those - 'OH S£@%!' Moments). Full Combat armour, half deep pocketed, the other half muffled, stimpacks (no weight) and rad away. I don't carry any food, drink or chems, haven't used power armour since the first deathclaw encounter either. Carrying the above I usually have about 180 spaces left for loot. Codsworth carries a good amount too, not sure exactly how much, maybe 150-200?? I only pick up armour and weapons with modifications now too, as they give the best parts when scrapped. And avoid picking up cage or spike armour due to it's weight. It's worth knowing what junk is most valuable in terms of 'materials' too. Telephones, office desk fans and blow torches for example, have good desirable materials in them, circuitry, oil, gears, but weigh relatively little. If I have a lot of tasty loot but need to continue on with a mission I stash it all in a bin/cigarette machine/skip and then come back for it all once I've finished the mission, it hasn't been stolen so far ... :bandit:

JRJG

I think I might be overdoing it on the food/drink/chems - I should really just carry a handful of stimpacks, radaways and etc but I end up carrying the lot including radsteaks etc. lol

I've just got the overseers guardian sniper rifle and modded it slightly, what a beast of a gun, my character is leaning towards the stealth sniper type but with plenty of lock picking, hacking, gun nut 4, armourer 4 and some good speech type perks so I can persuade people to do it my way!!! Still hardly scratched the surface of the main storey, played quite a bit this week and almost lvl 50 now. Does anyone else go for armour based on asthetics rather than stats? I've got a bit bored of power armour now.

I've finally finished one version of the story - I think - though the game doesn't stop. (Or maybe I haven't finished). Some random comments:

* Wow - there's a lot of content

* Choices to make

* I've not yet found a situation where a stealth boy was better than a gun

* I relied on VATS stealth and critical hit multipliers nearly all the time. Plus the armour mod that is available from one group. It seems like it would be really hard without (or I'd need to play better...)

* I didn't enjoy using power armour - it took away most of the stealth multipliers

* The overseer's guardian combat rifle + a laser for sniping + a shotgun for super close worked for me so far (esp. as legendaries). But I carried a bunch of other weapons around just in case a lot of the time...

ps I thought some of the decisions of characters in the plot were a bit weird.

I'm glad I was playing on a pc as things got glitchy a few times and I had to look up how to use the console to fix it. I guess going back to older saves and re-playing would have worked too though.

• Like 1

I'm level 88 now and rising......

Don't forget to store your mods. They weigh 0.5 and I had about 60 stored on my person before I realised/questioned why my carry capacity was always poor - even after flogging unwanted items.

I have only just started to repair/mod power armour......previously I liked not using it. I prefer to work alone rather than with a companion.

That's something I need to do.. mod the power armours.... I'm like Iron man now, I've got them all lined up in a room!

I'm lacking the science perks because so far I've picked scavenger, caps, combat rifle, pistol type perks.

I hate to think how many hours I've put into it over the festive period...I'm doing a half day in work today and I'm counting down the hours until I can go home and fire it up.

I have only just started to repair/mod power armour......previously I liked not using it. I prefer to work alone rather than with a companion.

That's something I need to do.. mod the power armours.... I'm like Iron man now, I've got them all lined up in a room!

It's nice when you've got armorer 4 so you can go straight to mk6 (F?) power armor. I think it costs as much materials to go from 1-6 as it does from 5-6, so if they're important then it's worth upgrading big once.

But as a stealth build I didn't enjoy using power armour so just used it in a big, high-radiation area. Even then, maybe a hazmat suit would have been as good or better overall.

It's nice when you've got armorer 4 so you can go straight to mk6 (F?) power armor. I think it costs as much materials to go from 1-6 as it does from 5-6, so if they're important then it's worth upgrading big once.

But as a stealth build I didn't enjoy using power armour so just used it in a big, high-radiation area. Even then, maybe a hazmat suit would have been as good or better overall.

As a non user of the power armour myself - is a hazmat suit as good as power armour in terms of radiation resistance/proof? I don't fancy lumbering around in power armour but I'm told you need it when it comes to the 'glowing sea'. I'll test it the next time I have a stint at it. I imagine it is much easier to sneak in a Hazmat suit than power armour too.

JRJG

As a non user of the power armour myself - is a hazmat suit as good as power armour in terms of radiation resistance/proof? I don't fancy lumbering around in power armour but I'm told you need it when it comes to the 'glowing sea'. I'll test it the next time I have a stint at it. I imagine it is much easier to sneak in a Hazmat suit than power armour too.

JRJG

I think a hazmat suit is as good or better than standard power armour for radiation resistance (1000 hazmat vs ??? vs 100 for rad-x). I went with lead-plated power armour but hated losing the sneak multiplier damage. I also tried using the stealth-boy mod, but it only works when stationary and crouched I think, and takes action points that I'd rather use in VATS.

There are enemies there that like to come up and melee attack. If you can sneak kill them off in the distance then great. In power armour I got knocked over a few times but not killed though.

I've recently taken the ghoulish perk so radiation doesn't affect me anymore apparently, I went and collected the raider power armour in the glowing sea with no power armour or hazmat suit on, another bonus is radiation actually heals some health too!!!! Also just got the Reba 2 sniper rifle off barney and it's pretty good. I now have 12 sets of power armour in my power armour room at sanctuary though I have taken all the fusion cores out so my settlers don't steal them when we get attacked.

Might start on the story soon - sitting at level 36 having not even gone to diamond city (doing BOS tech retrieval/building clearances for levelling). Nearly got all my weaponry perks levelled up for maximum damage.

Still using the dog as my companion - could probably do with changing it as every time I want to go somewhere he is normally blocking me under my feet or when I want to store stuff he runs off! Did get "STRONG" as my companion but was fed up him running into situations where I was trying to stealth!