Thule Wingbar Edge 9584B Roof Bars

Hi All,

My Car is a 2013 Skoda Octavia VRS Combi and I want to add an approx 400l roof box and bar combo on while keeping the profile as low and aerodynamic as possible - however one dealer is telling me the Wingbar Edges load area is not wide enough to take either box ! 

Can anyone advise is they have any experiences with Thule Wingbar Edge 9584B Roof Bars in combination with preferably the Thule Dynamic L or Thule Motion XL roof boxes and if so can they post some pictures of them on their MK3 Combis and post about their experiences?

Alternatively if anyone can post their experiences and pictures of using other bars such as the Thule Wingbar 961 and 757 Foot Pack with either of the above boxes it would be appreciated as  unfortunately I am more or less stuck with Thule for my roof box as options in Ireland are very limited !

I did find these images (Link) of  a Thule Dynamic L with Wing Bars installed on a MK2 Combi - but one of the wing bars on the MK2 (2 x  Medium Size) and are a different size than specced for the MK3 (1 x Small , 1 x Medium)

I assume your Combi has the roof rails on it?

I just bought a set of these:

120cm Universal Fit Black Alloy Aero Locking Car Roof Bars Rack/Rails Bike/Box

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120cm-Universal-Fit-Black-Alloy-Aero-Locking-Car-Roof-Bars-Rack-Rails-Bike-Box-/321726618475?hash=item4ae8669b6b:g:VZMAAOSwLVZVksJ-

Then borrowed a friends Thule Atlantis 750 and fastened it on top. Carried it pretty much full including a wooden baby cot from Leeds to Edinburgh no problem.

Here's a picture loaded up and ready to roll. SWMBO looks happy at least!

post-116439-0-56677100-1447173717_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120cm-Universal-Fit-Black-Alloy-Aero-Locking-Car-Roof-Bars-Rack-Rails-Bike-Box-/321726618475?hash=item4ae8669b6b:g:VZMAAOSwLVZVksJ-

Then borrowed a friends Thule Atlantis 750 and fastened it on top. Carried it pretty much full including a wooden baby cot from Leeds to Edinburgh no problem.

attachicon.gifIMG_7825.jpg

hi may I ask what bike rack you have there as I'm debating getting a roof mounted bike carrier or a rear mounted one. Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Skodev

hi may I ask what bike rack you have there as I'm debating getting a roof mounted bike carrier or a rear mounted one. Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread.

It's an Atera Strada DL from RoofBox.co.uk - great rack that slides back and takes the weight of the bikes all the time. Leaves easy access to the back too. It also fits neatly in the boot if you park in a car park then go riding so it doesn't get knocked.

Not cheap but you will burn fuel with bikes on the roof. I don't notice any real slip in economy with them on the tow bar.

It's an Atera Strada DL from RoofBox.co.uk - great rack that slides back and takes the weight of the bikes all the time. Leaves easy access to the back too. It also fits neatly in the boot if you park in a car park then go riding so it doesn't get knocked.

Not cheap but you will burn fuel with bikes on the roof. I don't notice any real slip in economy with them on the tow bar.

Bugger. I'm without a tow bar!! Real absence of decent racks. Would much prefer to not have the bikes on the roof though. Thanks anyway.

I bought the Thule pack you mentioned (Thule Wingbar 961 and 757 Foot Pack).

I didn't use it with a box as I added the SkiBars.

The addition of the footpack ton top of the heigh provided by the standard roof rails does give quite a bit of clearance (~10cm) as it was enough for me to put the snowbaords upside down without the bindings touching the metal.

No complaints with the Thule quality & I like that you can get matching keys for all of the equipment.

I bought from a combination of Amazon UK, DE and RoofRacks.co.uk (www.roofracks.co.uk/) who offer the key matching.

According to the "car matching" service here, the Wingbar Edge can be fitted to the Octavia roof rails:
https://www.roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Skoda&model=Octavia&version=III&type=Estate&rails=with-roof-rails&modelYear=2013-plus&id=33

The Thule fitting instructions state they are good up to 75kg:
https://www.roofracks.co.uk/pdf-reader/web/viewer.html?file=https://www.roofracks.co.uk/_pdf/wingEdge.pdf

Skoda do accessory bars and boxes.Check their prices.

Thule are good, but seem overpriced to me.

@Glosrich - thanks I did briefly look at the Skoda option but they are not what I am looking for and did appear to be over priced when compared to whats out there.

attachicon.gifIMG_7825.jpg

@Airscool - many thanks - might look at these if I cant get answers on the Thule front - however the loading @ 60kgs is a bit low when I have to factor in my box may weigh 20kg.

I bought the Thule pack you mentioned (Thule Wingbar 961 and 757 Foot Pack).

I didn't use it with a box as I added the SkiBars.

The addition of the footpack ton top of the heigh provided by the standard roof rails does give quite a bit of clearance (~10cm) as it was enough for me to put the snowbaords upside down without the bindings touching the metal.

No complaints with the Thule quality & I like that you can get matching keys for all of the equipment.

I bought from a combination of Amazon UK, DE and RoofRacks.co.uk (www.roofracks.co.uk/) who offer the key matching.

According to the "car matching" service here, the Wingbar Edge can be fitted to the Octavia roof rails:

https://www.roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Skoda&model=Octavia&version=III&type=Estate&rails=with-roof-rails&modelYear=2013-plus&id=33

The Thule fitting instructions state they are good up to 75kg:

https://www.roofracks.co.uk/pdf-reader/web/viewer.html?file=https://www.roofracks.co.uk/_pdf/wingEdge.pdf

@Gabbo - thanks for the comments ref your 961's / 757's - that little extra bit of height is what I am trying to limit as I will be using the box / rails quite a bit and do prefer the edges as I can leave them on plus they will reduce the overall height/profile of the car when a box is in situ ! however the main issue I am being told by Thule is that the max usable width of load surface on the Wingbar Edges is 63cm for the rear "s" bar and 73cm for the front "m" bar and wont work with the boxes (Dynamic requires 88cm) I am looking at ! however 2 dealers say it will work ! which is providing me with a dilemma to me as the items have to be specially ordered on a no return basis  and they are not cheap !!

I've just got the universal rails from Lidl (about £20), and a halfords exodus 580L roof box on, doesnt seem that high really and I dont have any trouble loading / unloading it.

2014-07-04142708.jpg

2014-07-04142734.jpg

9144ba23-82f8-4884-add1-fe158485fdff.jpg

Edited by Mikebham
  • Like 1

I bought the Atera equivalent, nice overhang either side of the roof rails so plenty of width.

Quiet, good price - highly recommended. From roofbox.co.uk

AR8222 - Atera roof bars: Atera SIGNO RT aluminium bars - 122cm no. 048 222
 - Car chosen: Skoda Octavia estate (2013 onwards) with roof rails
1 x £134.95 = £134.95

• 2 months later...

Thule Wingbars Edge £224.95

Lidl roofbars £20

More expensive but they look awesome and are silent. Maybe tough to justify the 10x cost difference  :D

Yes the Wingbars are expensive (and it was hard to convince myself) but sofar they are well worth the extra expense as I can keep them on all the time with little effect on the cars fuel consumption, plus there's no noise up to approx 70mph unless there's a gale blowing or very strong crosswind.

Additionally I do at least 3 x 1000+ mile round roadtrips overseas per year so the added low profile combination with the box is worth it in my opinion.

Hi All,

Thule Finally came back to me before Christmas to say my preferred combo of Thule Wingbar Edge 9584B Roof Bars in combination with the Thule Dynamic L would work, so I went ahead with the purchase and I think is definitely a great combo which complements the car well - below are some pictures for anyone else thinking of the same.

lFiiml6.jpg

XuDtVeT.jpg

Very, very, very nice!

Hi All,

Thule Finally came back to me before Christmas to say my preferred combo of Thule Wingbar Edge 9584B Roof Bars in combination with the Thule Dynamic L would work, so I went ahead with the purchase and I think is definitely a great combo which complements the car well - below are some pictures for anyone else thinking of the same.

lFiiml6.jpg

XuDtVeT.jpg

That looks great!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what size Thule wingbar edge for 2016 octavia scout? Thule website says 9584 for octavia estate 2013+ and 9582 for scout 2007+.

I assume 9584 is correct?

Anyone know what size Thule wingbar edge for 2016 octavia scout? Thule website says 9584 for octavia estate 2013+ and 9582 for scout 2007+.

I assume 9584 is correct?

I'd go for the one from the estate 2013+

There should be no difference to the roof bars from a standard or scout Octy & the Scout 2007 will be the Mk2 which is probably an older design.

Thanks.

Wingbar edge v whisbar?

Not too much difference in price (about £20).

Anyone know if one much superior to the other (plan on getting a thule motion 900 box for scout and have thule bike racks)?

• 1 year later...
On 13/01/2016 at 13:55, jambo1979 said:

Hi All,

Thule Finally came back to me before Christmas to say my preferred combo of Thule Wingbar Edge 9584B Roof Bars in combination with the Thule Dynamic L would work, so I went ahead with the purchase and I think is definitely a great combo which complements the car well - below are some pictures for anyone else thinking of the same.

lFiiml6.jpg

XuDtVeT.jpg

I'm looking into the possibility of a roof rack for my Mk3 vRS (Race Blue), and I think I may have just found them! Do you have any pictures of the bars on without the box? I'm likely to be using the bars for cycle transporting.

11 hours ago, BlackAndBlue said:

I'm looking into the possibility of a roof rack for my Mk3 vRS (Race Blue), and I think I may have just found them! Do you have any pictures of the bars on without the box? I'm likely to be using the bars for cycle transporting.

I leave them on permanently, come in handy for bikes and DIY trips.

IMG_5570.thumb.jpg.20376e288347c366a16b383b6080b2f9.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

Edited by waaar

• 1 month later...

Also have the Oktavia Comi, and wanted to Bus Thule Dynamic M with WingBar Edge and Thule said not matching, as part of the box would lay in the plastic part of the rack, and not only in the Metall part. Is that correct and did you got any problems with it ?

Anyone experience with Whispbar Edge? As they look even more flat?