Recommended VAG-com supplier

Morning all.

Was after a bit of advice on where to get the above from? Mainly going to be used on my 05 1.9 TDI mk2 Octavia.

The only ones I've seen come up are from a place called GenDan? But couldn't stomach the £280ish price tag.

I appreciate it might not be a welcomed view, but is there a more cost effective cheaper version for the diy hobbyist? Apologies in advance of this sort of discussion isn't allowed.

I used to have OP-Com for my Vauxhall's and that was about 10% of the above price and performed flawlessly for me.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately that is the cost for a genuine cable with Ross Tech support. They do come up second hand occasionally, but tend to go quickly for obvious reasons.

A genuine cable will get updates for life, so you'll always be on the latest VCDS version.

Pirated cables are available all over the internet, but they're limited to one version of VCDS and can never be updated. Also, it's a gamble coding with a pirate cable. How do you know it's not going to brick a module on your car? That will certainly be more than £280 to fix if it does. Who knows how the cable is configured when it's knocked off in a factory in China.

One cheaper solution is the Carista app at £15 + a bluetooth or WiFi OBD dongle.

This gives you some of the coding options of VCDS, but is no where near as encompassing. It should be able to scan all modules and read fault codes however.

Edited by softscoop

Another option is the micro-can version which is about £210 on Gendan http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCMC.html

There is one caveat, it can only be used on newer cars that don't use k-line.

A full list is available on the link above and it should be fine for the MK2 Octavia. It depends which cars you're likely to want to plug into to which cable you buy :)

VCP is in no way a replacement for VCDS, it is no where near as user friendly, far more difficult to follow as far as the procedures go, and simply not as useable as VCDS for general use. I have used the VCP literally 4 times since buying it, 3 of these to activate the second rear for on Octy 2 FL and a Yeti (which can't be done via VCDS) and one too switch of the passenger side rear for on a Superb 2 -- these come as standard with 2 and the owner wanted just the drivers side on.

In hindsight, I now wouldn't bother buying VCP at all. It certainly doesn't take the place of VCDS for sure. And from what I can see, there are a lot of modules within the Octy 2 preFL that are not even accessible with VCP. I certainly haven't seen any justification in having the VCP as I have with VCDS, which is used on a near enough weekly basis.

Mike

Nice honest appraisal Mike