Insurance

I've been happy with e-Sure for three or four years now but don't know what they are like for youngsters like you !!!

(p.s. got them originally off several compare sites, and was subsequently amazed at the premium going down considerably at each annual renewal, without me asking.)

Was going to make some suggestions but then saw your age.

For those old enough, Saga and LV are having a price war for potential customers over 50 at the moment. Got quoted £128 (Saga) and £158 (LV) for my Octy 1.4TSI DSG with £300 excess last week.

Edited by Minimoke

I've been with Zurich insurance for the past couple of years. Last year's Koleos premium was circa £300 (32 years old, 15 years driving, 3* years no claims, wife additional with 2 years driving, both business class, £300 excess)

When I changed to the Octavia they charged a total of £15 including the £25 admin fee which I hope means that the insurance is £10 cheaper for the remaining two months. That might put it at £50 cheaper for next year's renewal including my extra year's no claims.

I'd suggest starting with the three main comparison websites - Go Compare, Compare the Market, Confused - and check what cashback you can get via Quidco or Topcashback (though I personally don't like TCB after they closed my account without notice and without paying me the >£100 in the account until I kicked up a fuss) 

Bear in mind that if you go to the cinema regularly the Meerkat Movies off could be worth £5/visit in BOGOF cinema tickets.

This is only an hours effort and can save a lot of money. At this point get on to your current insurer and ask them to best the best quote. :)

* would have been full no claims if my employer hadn't gone bust before providing confirmation of 7 years driving company cars without claims.

My insurance has actually gone up this year, just renewed, did the comparison sites and the cheapest i could get my tdi vrs covered for was £250 for a basic policy. Ended up paying just under 300 for zero excess policy and extra cover. Not overly expensive but not cheap either!!

Had a Premier Policy with Hastings Direct for a number of years. Last years premium was £183. This years renewal premium was £351, same car, same details, no accidents or convictions. A phone call to Hastings slashed £90 off, but I still thought they were trying it on (just being polite), so shopped around and got the same policy with General Accident for £190.

Had a Premier Policy with Hastings Direct for a number of years. Last years premium was £183. This years renewal premium was £351, same car, same details, no accidents or convictions. A phone call to Hastings slashed £90 off, but I still thought they were trying it on (just being polite), so shopped around and got the same policy with General Accident for £190.

They all seem to rely on inertia - many of my friends can't be bothered to do compare, and when I do the web sites with them,

and the whole lot takes about 10 minutes, they gape in disbelief. Often we have saved them £150 to £200. 

Same with outfits like Virgin (for TV, internet etc.) They stick the price up till you threaten to go elsewhere, then suddenly it is cheaper than last year!

Edited by ednmra

Used Esure, had bad experience with a no fault claim with them. My wife had a fault claim with LV. They were excellent so I went with them. Come renewal I had a speed offence. They weren't bothered about it.

I'm currently with Elephant as that was the cheapest with my other half as a learner driver....

They came up cheapest on the comparison sites - part of the Admiral group - but don't score very well at all on customer service surveys. (Looking for first insurance for daughter - 24, had licence since 18, but first policy in her own name.)

For me it's always a toss up between greenlight and Adrian flux. They always seem to be the 2 cheapest but swap positions. Currently with Adrian Flux for both cars.

Had a claim with Adrian flux 6 years ago and it was ok. Took a bit of arguing but got the payout I wanted in the end.

They came up cheapest on the comparison sites - part of the Admiral group - but don't score very well at all on customer service surveys. (Looking for first insurance for daughter - 24, had licence since 18, but first policy in her own name.)

Used them in the past with no issues. But maybe I was lucky.

If you do any European driving then don't use Elephant as you are only covered 3rd party abroad - I think most of the cheapest companies are the same. Each time you go abroad you get stung by a £26 charge to add fully comp on for a day trip.

They were also terrible on an insurance claim I had (third party hit me) - Wish I saw the customer reviews before I purchased.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

Went with Elephant, purely on price.

Endsleigh are endorsed by the NUS - (students union), daughter doing a post-grad - but they score 1 out of 5 across the board for complaints.

All the "quality" firms - LV, NFU, Direct line, etc - wanted stupid money. If there are any issues, it'll be me dealing with the elephant and I love a good rant

I always think the Direct Line advert on TV, where he tells off a couple looking at compare sites, is hilarious.

The only times I have obtained Direct Line quotes (and they don't do compare sites!)  they were usually double that from a compare site.

And that also applied to Saga and the AA, for me anyway.

Some of the quotes I'm seeing in here are so cheap it makes me green with envy!

I'm in my mid 30s with 8 years no claims, low mileage (6000 for insurance purposes) car parked on drive. Got me the missus and parents insured (adding parents usually decreases policy or its free) and I'm paying £500 odd with Admiral and get quoted 1.5x that as the next cheapest quote on comparison sites!

Note, I have a MY16 1.4 TSI DSG and a clean license.

Only thing I can think of is that living in London is driving up my car insurance :-(

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Some of the quotes I'm seeing in here are so cheap it makes me green with envy!

I'm in my mid 30s with 8 years no claims, low mileage (6000 for insurance purposes) car parked on drive. Got me the missus and parents insured (adding parents usually decreases policy or its free) and I'm paying £500 odd with Admiral and get quoted 1.5x that as the next cheapest quote on comparison sites!

Note, I have a MY16 1.4 TSI DSG and a clean license.

Only thing I can think of is that living in London is driving up my car insurance :-(

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

It's your postcode for sure (or area you live in if you prefer). Mine is about £200 more for my vRS with 9+ years NCB and garaged. Ok for me the other half is a learner driver which pushes it up.

There are as FlyingGecko say's other factors on your own personal circumstances, but most likely it's the postcode.

If I was to, say try my cousin's postcode up north then it would be cheap as chips!