Finally! vRS 4wd!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/93021/skoda-octavia-vrs-diesel-now-gets-four-wheel-drive

Apologies if this is old news but I searched on forum and couldn't see it mentioned.

Just the diesel DSG vRS but that in estate form is highly likely to be my next car (and 5th Skoda!) 

Now just need to decide on spec. Have a provisional 9% discount via carwow. The 0% APR also makes it very attractive.

Looking forward - are lead times still 6 months?

it's much better for wet weather traction - try booting a diesel vrs DSG out of a wet junction. Quicker to 60 (not that that matters). It might not be for you, but it's definitely for me.

My xDrive BMW on winter tyres is unstoppable in winter and I'm sure the Skoda will be too. 

My last vRS had winter tyres which made it great during winter, but 4wd AND winter tyres will be fantastic.

• Like 3

it's much better for wet weather traction - try booting a diesel vrs DSG out of a wet junction. Quicker to 60 (not that that matters). It might not be for you, but it's definitely for me.

My xDrive BMW on winter tyres is unstoppable in winter and I'm sure the Skoda will be too. 

My last vRS had winter tyres which made it great during winter, but 4wd AND winter tyres will be fantastic.

Ditto for me. 

This is why I'm seriously considering replacing my current MK3 vRS TDI with the 4x4, there's a right turn I make every morning on the way to work, onto a 60mph road and on the wrong side of an almost blind bend.  Even slightly too much throttle and you just wheelspin.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a spin in the new petrol engined VRS 230 estate 4x4 yesterday (Swiss spec). Fantastic bit of kit for the money and it has as good an, if not better, interior than any BMW or Audi in my opinion. Quality right up there. And from the outside it looks, well, just aggressively right. A great purposeful stance on the road.

I was looking to replace my 3 6 superb combi with a Superb 280 in about three yeas time (I always buy used...) but this Octavia in petrol VRS AWD trim was very impressive and its reduced size made it a bit easier to press on quickly on smaller roads. One kid down due to university so don't need all that Superb space.....hmmm.

It's no 3.6 but, as I said, mightily impressive and with a Skoda badge, rather than some rings or a spinning propellor, its much rarer.. Nice.

Edited by Wile7

Really?

Nothing on that page says VRS petrol to me. I would love to be proved wrong but one of the only bits that refers to the 4x4 is

Disponibile anche nella versione 4x4 (TDI).   (Also available in 4x4 (TDI)

Nothing on the Swiss configurator either.

A Mk3 Octavia vRS 230ps 4x4 Estate (Combi) would be of interest to many if the price was right, 

so is there such a thing in existence pre launch and going on sale to the public anytime soon?

Any articles on it in English or that can be translated to English?

I'd almost certainly buy one of these mythical VRS230AWD beasts but there's nothing on that Swiss link that I can see that points to it being available.  I also checked the CZ website a couple of weeks ago just in case when the TDi 4x4 was announced and you can't configure a TSi 4x4 Octavia RS there either.

To be honest I'd be very interested in ANY petrol 4x4 Octavia Estate but I'm not holding my breath on getting one in the UK in the foreseeable.  

Edited by juan27

To be honest I'd be very interested in ANY petrol 4x4 Octavia Estate but I'm not holding my breath on getting one in the UK in the foreseeable.  

It is possible, just needs a bit of lateral thinking  :notme:

The normal 184 TDi DSG was always available in some markets so bolting the vRS bits on was not a big ask. But putting the 2.0 in place of the 1.8 and then bolting the same vRS bits on is maybe a step too far. Shouldn't be that hard though

Really?

Nothing on that page says VRS petrol to me. I would love to be proved wrong but one of the only bits that refers to the 4x4 is

Disponibile anche nella versione 4x4 (TDI). (Also available in 4x4 (TDI)

Nothing on the Swiss configurator either.

Er. Okay fella. All I can say is that I test drove the Petrol VRS 4wd version. The 4x4 unit is only available here with the 2.0 petrol lump currently. When you go to the configuration tool on my link above you can only select the 2.0 tsi unit. Maybe it was the 220 VRS 4wd and not a 230? On the link I posted it has the following too where it clearly states that it is available in 4wd.

ŠKODA Car Configurator | Répertoire des modèles

- La ŠKODA Octavia la plus rapide de tous les temps - RS avec 2.0 TSI/220 ch et 2.0 TDI CR DPF/184 ch maintenant egalement disponible en 4x4

Create my ŠKODA

Octavia

Octavia Combià partir de 20 540 CHF

Octavia

Octavia Combi Swiss Joyà partir de 24 860 CHF

Octavia

Octavia Combi RS 230à partir de 41 310 CHF

Edited by Wile7

I'd almost certainly buy one of these mythical VRS230AWD beasts but there's nothing on that Swiss link that I can see that points to it being available. I also checked the CZ website a couple of weeks ago just in case when the TDi 4x4 was announced and you can't configure a TSi 4x4 Octavia RS there either.

Are we all looking at the same site - the link I posted earlier? It is a 220 that I drove. The 230 is due out here in January. The photo on the link has the Octavia with its number plate clearly showing 'VRS 4wd' and when you go to the configuration tool on the right hand menu and select it clearly states 2.0 tsi for the 4wd option.

http://fr.skoda.ch/models/new-octavia-combi-rs/new_overview#SliderModuleWebPart_2

Anyway. Not arguing. All I can say is that it was a great drive and it will be in Blighty before Easter next year according to the dealership here. But then that's a Swiss dealer next to where I live so what he knows about the UK market God only knows. I'm sure Briskda folk will find out one way or another.

Dave

Edited by Wile7

- La ŠKODA Octavia la plus rapide de tous les temps - RS avec 2.0 TSI/220 ch et 2.0 TDI CR DPF/184 ch maintenant egalement disponible en 4x4

I think it makes a difference as to whether you read that as 

- La ŠKODA Octavia la plus rapide de tous les temps - (RS avec 2.0 TSI/220 ch et 2.0 TDI CR DPF/184 ch) (maintenant egalement disponible en 4x4)

OR

- La ŠKODA Octavia la plus rapide de tous les temps - (RS avec 2.0 TSI/220 ch) et (2.0 TDI CR DPF/184 ch maintenant egalement disponible en 4x4)

Would mean 2 different things

From the configurator you link to

post-125891-0-06924200-1449586200_thumb.jpgpost-125891-0-98137300-1449586208_thumb.jpg

Can't see TSI available with 4x4 on either of those

Don't get me wrong here, not having a go, just really interested where you are looking as I just can't see what you see. Maybe some photos/screenshots?

• Like 1

I dropped an email to Skoda via the Contact us page on the Skoda.co.uk website on Monday.

I stated that I was aware that a diesel 4x4 Octavia VRS was available, but I was interested in a petrol version, ideally with the 280 engine as per the Superb.

I received the following voicemail just now...

"At the moment there are no plans for a petrol 4x4 Octavia VRS. This may change, but there are no plans for this in the UK at the moment."

I don't think 4wd is worth it.

Just makes it more expensive, heavier, slower and use more fuel.

If it's for winter grip, 2wd and winter tyres is massively better and cheaper.

Trust me (a Finn), that the rear axle makes a difference. We have slightly better grip offering winter tyres here, and here we really notice the difference between fwd and awd. You notice it even in the summer time in the rain. The car also feels more solid in everyday use, and the consumption added is not that drastic; previously I had 1,6TDI, and now this 184bhp 4x4 consoles roughly 0,5-0,7l/100km, that is nothing from the comfort brought by the agility of the engine overall.

In UK, spending money for proper winter tyres is anyhow better choice. Having 4x4 is just pure enjoyment! Take my word for it (waiting for proper winter!!!)

• Like 1

@ 3nkero: Hi, you already received your VRS 4x4? If yes, how does it feel compared with regular fwd VRS?

I am looking into one of these as next company car, Normally I still have 1,5 year of leasing for actual one, but thats not so much....

I am sure it is faster than TDI fwd VRS in corners or on wet surface, or at standstill start. How does it feel in rest, when you overpass for example?
On snow it makes no sens to discuss.... :)

Trust me (a Finn), that the rear axle makes a difference. We have slightly better grip offering winter tyres here, and here we really notice the difference between fwd and awd. You notice it even in the summer time in the rain. The car also feels more solid in everyday use, and the consumption added is not that drastic; previously I had 1,6TDI, and now this 184bhp 4x4 consoles roughly 0,5-0,7l/100km, that is nothing from the comfort brought by the agility of the engine overall.

In UK, spending money for proper winter tyres is anyhow better choice. Having 4x4 is just pure enjoyment! Take my word for it (waiting for proper winter!!!)

+1 No argument from me that winter tyres on a 2wd is effective, I have run that setup for years.

I have also run the last 3 generations of Haldex. While the jump from Gen4 to Gen5 is not as great as that from Gen3 to Gen4 the combination with the right tyres is very effective and compared with the old torsen-type systems not that much effect on fuel.

If 4x4 is not useful on slimy roads when its down to 3oC in the pi**ing rain that we get in a lot of the UK then I don't know where it is. 

I've spent a lot of time on machines with a lot less power than a vRS (always on the right tyres) with the wheels going nowhere (or somewhere you don't want) that you just don't get with the Haldex.

• Like 1