Finally! vRS 4wd!

Interesting, I've priced a couple up with carwow and the best price I can get, with about £3.5k RRP of options, is just over £28k saving about £3k off list. It strikes me as expensive.

I'll take another at the figures factoring in loyalty bonus, deposit contribution and fuel and see how that stacks up.

Cheers

I've had a a quote from coast2coast for a 4x4 hatch, £30.5k list with options and discounted by £5.6k, only catch is you have to take their Barclay's finance either on 48 month PCP or up to 60 month Lease Purchase, at just over 5%APR so not too bad a rate, total interest over 4 years is £3.2k so similar overall discount to SUK offers taking into account total cost to purchase but 48 month PCP or 60 month Lease Purchase bring the monthlys down compared to 42 month deals offered by SUK.....decisions, decisions, or do I just get a used Jaag!?

It's classed as permanent but only pushes power to the rear when it actually needs it. I had a 2001 4x4 MkI years ago and despite giving away 30hp to a vRS, in real world acceleration in damp/wet it could beat the vRS off the line but the official stats did not back this theory up! The 0-62 of this latest model actually proves my theory was correct!

• Like 1

Is it permanent 4wd like a quattro or only when it detects it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haldex 5th gen I think. Haldex is electonically controlled torque sensing 4wd, not permanent....though this is the same system employed on current Quattro Audis. I dont think any Quattro Audi has been permanent 4wd for a good number of years.

Edit.....Haldex was first seen around 1998 on the Mk1 Audi TT, Audi A3 8P and also I think he Mk4 Golf though not in the UK. Prior to this I assume most VAG products had the mor traditional permanent "Quattro" AWD.

Edited by pipsypreturns
  • Like 1

I dont think any Quattro Audi has been permanent 4wd for a good number of years.

Haldex is only used on the smaller MQB Audi variants.

The larger cars still use Torsen or crown differentials, which send anywhere between 50/50 to 85/15% of torque between the rear/front.

My 2012 S4 used the torsen variant, and was classed a permanent 4wd.

The fixed centre diff which I think you are referring to was ditched in 1987, but the torsen / crown transfer versions still operate as full time, just the sportier versions (S / RS / R8) have more rearward bias :)

• Like 2

Haldex is only used on the smaller MQB Audi variants.

The larger cars still use Torsen or crown differentials, which send anywhere between 50/50 to 85/15% of torque between the rear/front.

My 2012 S4 used the torsen variant, and was classed a permanent 4wd.

The fixed centre diff which I think you are referring to was ditched in 1987, but the torsen / crown transfer versions still operate as full time, just the sportier versions (S / RS / R8) have more rearward bias :)

Fair shout buddy thanks for the info :-)

• Like 1

...but according to Skoda website, the 0-62mph is quicker than the 2WD quoting 0-62 as 7.6 secs vs 7.9 secs for the 2WD so the 4x4 must be significantly quicker from 0-60km/h if the above figures are correct!

...but according to Skoda website, the 0-62mph is quicker than the 2WD quoting 0-62 as 7.6 secs vs 7.9 secs for the 2WD so the 4x4 must be significantly quicker from 0-60km/h if the above figures are correct!

Would not be surprised the 2wd is an ar*e to get going quickly.  Not the worse car I've driven mind - at least it doesn't torque steer badly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing yet; it'll come we all know it.  Just a question of when?????

I reckon a 280PS 4x4 TSi will be offered, but in a year or two when the Octavia 3 is facelifted. 

Read today that Skoda no longer has any restrictions on tech within the vag-group. Now they can focus on making the best cars they are able to.

So a killer vrs should be possible now.

I read back in 2011 Dr Winfied Vahland Skoda CEO saying there was no Skoda / VW rift because of restricted access to new Technology,

i took that with a pinch of salt then, but now that he has gone and Skoda CZ & UK are now headed by VW yes men then there might be a whole new improvement in what is going to be available for Skoda CZ.

Can i ask where you were reading today about there being no longer any restriction?

If there is no longer any restriction it must mean before there was from those cheeky lying rascals from Wolfsburg Lower Saxony.

Can i ask where you were reading today about there being no longer any restriction?

If there is no longer any restriction it must mean before there was from those cheeky lying rascals from Wolfsburg Lower Saxony.

Heres the aritcle

http://m.dinside.no/935896/naa-satser-skoda-paa-suv-og-firehjulstrekk

Its in Norwegian and about future SUVs from skoda.

It says that skoda untill now havent been allowed to make cars to compete with vw and Audi, but now has Access to the latest tech and can make what they want.

Edit: just ask if Google translate struggels with the translation

Edited by Gromle
  • Like 1

The thing is that AWD Petrol & Diesel Euro 6 emission engines with Manual or DSG is hardly new technology,

it is old hat VWG stuff.

Hybrid, EV's etc are Volkswagen Groups New Technology and even there they are behind the curve compared to other manufacturers,

all VW would be doing is sharing parts a bit quicker than they have up to now,

as VW sales drop even in Germany.

The thing is that AWD Petrol & Diesel Euro 6 emission engines with Manual or DSG is hardly new technology,

it is old hat VWG stuff.

Hybrid, EV's etc are Volkswagen Groups New Technology and even there they are behind the curve compared to other manufacturers,

all VW would be doing is sharing parts a bit quicker than they have up to now,

as VW sales drop even in Germany.

Im curious about stuff like the stronger dsg7 boxes, online functionality and stuff like that. Hybrids is not something I want as the tech is today.

The VW Group can not carry on with the amount of Fundamental Design, manufacturing, component choice and quality control failures they have with mechanicals across the range of VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda and Warranty Claims.

They have for years now just been like the 3 monkeys making out there are no issues while doing Service Campaigns and no Recalls unless forced to in other World Regions other than the European Regions.

It is time VW improved reliability and did not just keep pretending the advanced technology is not them just leaving owners with faulty previous generation engines and gearboxes in the lurch. Cars out of the rather short warranties.

If VW say it never happened, then it is an internet / urban myth and overblown.

If they have better / stronger DSG then introduce them, 

but they need to admit short falls / failings or issues with the previous generation.

VW have had the issue since they discontinued the Air Cooled Engines, keeping Fluids in the engines, and H20 out of the passenger compartments.

How VW can not do good quality rubber seals and chains and chain tensioners after all these decades is a mystery.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot