Are you happy with your VRS Estate TDI DSG?

Hello.

I currently have a 2014 1.6TDI DSG and we are close to signing a deal on a 2015 VRS TDI DSG.

We found the 1.6 to be very slow taking off and difficult to pull out on roundabouts, otherwise we love it.  Had a test drive in a VRS yesterday and it didn't seem to have this issue at all.

I would love to hear any feedback from owners from their experiences in general with the VRS DSG in diesel form.

Many thanks

J

I'm really happy with mine.

Its very quick off the line and more than enough poke for normal driving. I certainly wouldn't want one with any less power.

Only gripe for me is road noise but thats pretty much across the entire model.

Its v economical for a 181hp car....but then it is still a 181hp car so you have to expect some compromise.

Id say go for it assuming you are prepared to do your *******s on your current car.

I have a GTD with the 184ps motor and a 150 TDI Octavia and the Golf isnt alot worse on fuel thats for sure.

Love mine, the the mpg I found that it's mire the temptation / easy to drive quickly that causes bad mpg - if/when you get over this and it's done a few miles mpg improves

• 4 weeks later...

I love mine, only had it about 1 month but absolutely love driving it! It looks great too and really grips well for the size.

Fuel wise, around town with stopping and starting, junctions etc I can get about 35mpg on short runs.

Mixed journeys about 45mpg.

Long motorway runs over 50mpg at least.

All the above in 'eco' mode.

Every Sunday night I pick the Mrs up from work and treat myself to a bit of fun. Put it in all sport settings and absolutely gun it at 30mph the whole way :notme: - I have a great blast, turn up grinning like a kid at Christmas and still get a good 30mpg amazingly!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Had mine since May 2014, and I am VERY VERY pleased. Also it's been modded!! so I am even more pleased! Plus since I ordered my vRS, I have also bought my wife's Roomster and also my Monte.

Steve

Never had any issues with a slow takeoff in mine unless I particularly wanted to go slow, 184bhp tends to give you enough 'urgency' if you want it to!

I don't know what power output your 1.6 is but I can assume that the vRS will be at least 25bhp up on it, if not much more.

The DSG will get you off the line plenty quick enough if you bury your foot but it's how you want to drive really.

Overall my experience of a Tdi DSG is very good, the marriage between the Diesel engine and the DSG takes a little getting used to, for example, coasting up to a roundabout, spotting your gap in the traffic on the roundabout and then putting your foot down can sometimes result in a bit of a no mans land where the car is then either going a little too slow or by putting your foot down results in the box kicking down catapulting round the roundabout like some sort of eejit!

It is something I'm now used to and I adjust my driving style accordingly, any other time it behaves really well and I have no other issues.

... for example, coasting up to a roundabout, spotting your gap in the traffic on the roundabout and then putting your foot down can sometimes result in a bit of a no mans land where the car is then either going a little too slow or by putting your foot down results in the box kicking down catapulting round the roundabout like some sort of eejit!...

I sometimes find myself driving mine like a semi-manual rather than an auto. Coming up to a busy roundabout or junction I knock the dsg into sport to force it to drop down a couple of gears. If I do it manually with the paddles I forget to change up afterwards and wonder why I'm bouncing the revs against the red line until it changes its self back.

Edited by xdq
  • Like 1

I sometimes find myself driving mine like a semi-manual rather than an auto. Coming up to a busy roundabout or junction I knock the dsg into sport to force it to drop down a couple of gears. If I do it manually with the paddles I forget to change up afterwards and wonder why I'm bouncing the revs against the red line until it changes its self back.

A little off topic now are the flappy paddles standard on the dsg in the vrs

It does take a little getting used to, I wonder if a remap of the DSG might help.

I'd quite like a setting between Drive and Sport - Sport is toooo revvy for the engine I feel.

Also, I'd like to be able to more easily flick between Drive and Eco.

I'd quite like a setting between Drive and Sport - Sport is toooo revvy for the engine I feel.

Also, I'd like to be able to more easily flick between Drive and Eco.

I agree, the difference between drive and sort is too great, on a Tdi anyway, probably not on the Tsi

I agree, the difference between drive and sort is too great, on a Tdi anyway, probably not on the Tsi

It feels like Skoda haven't re-mapped the dsg to suit the diesel power band compared to the petrol. The Tsi is probably still in the power band at the limiter whereas the Tdi has run out of steam before it changes.

It does take a little getting used to, I wonder if a remap of the DSG might help.

Agreed. I actually prefer the urgency of sport mode when driving through town on my commute. You accelerate and it just goes rather than attempting to drive smoothly. If it would change up almost a thousand rpm earlier I'd be happy.

Hello.

I currently have a 2014 1.6TDI DSG and we are close to signing a deal on a 2015 VRS TDI DSG.

We found the 1.6 to be very slow taking off and difficult to pull out on roundabouts, otherwise we love it.  Had a test drive in a VRS yesterday and it didn't seem to have this issue at all.

I would love to hear any feedback from owners from their experiences in general with the VRS DSG in diesel form.

Many thanks

J

Perhaps the 'standard' 2.0CR 150hp DSG would suit you?