VCDS Power Steering Assistance

Hi all!

Does anyone know if it is possible to alter the power assistance to the steering on the Mk3s using VCDS?  I find it too vague, especially around the dead ahead area.  Was hoping there would be some adjustments as to what assistance you get at certain angles.

Edited by sjrainsford

Dunno the VCDS answer - but have you tried setting "sport" mode for steering using the driver mode button in front of the gearstick?  This can be done separately from the throttle response etc, using the "individual" mode.

Do you have Lane Assist activated?  I find the steering as you describe when Lane Assist is activated.

Don't know if this helps but on my MKIII Vrs you can alter the Lane assist settings throught the Car settings on the Radio. On the Vrs you get 2 boxes to tick, I only have the top box ticked as I find the Lane assist is not as aggressive as having both boxes ticked. Does that make sense?

Don't know if your car has the same settings as the Vrs but maybe worth a try

AG

Don't know if this helps but on my MKIII Vrs you can alter the Lane assist settings throught the Car settings on the Radio. On the Vrs you get 2 boxes to tick, I only have the top box ticked as I find the Lane assist is not as aggressive as having both boxes ticked. Does that make sense?

Don't know if your car has the same settings as the Vrs but maybe worth a try

AG

Yep, makes perfect sense. I have a vRS also.

You can have the Lane Assist just tell you you're drifting (passive I'm sure it's called), or you can have it pull you back on track (active). I don't like how the active setting feels and I find the passive setting unhelpful as I have to look down away from the road to see if I'm drifting, and what's the point in that.

I am not aware of anything easily adjustable.

BUT

before you go down this route, have you done the obvious first

What tyre pressures are you running and what are the recommended?

Have you had a Hunter Geometry check carried out?

Incorrect tyre pressures and geometry will affect steering weight and feel.

True pressures are fine, had alignment checked at dealers. It's been rubbish since I had it. That and the poor comfort/ refinement are things that make it add up to being a relatively horrible company car.

One year left, then I can get shot!

Unless it's faulty, it sounds like you just don't like the car tbh. No matter how much fiddling and editing you do, you will probably continue to not like it for ever more. Have you mentioned the steering to the dealer? And have they tested and said it's normal?

True pressures are fine, had alignment checked at dealers. It's been rubbish since I had it. That and the poor comfort/ refinement are things that make it add up to being a relatively horrible company car.

One year left, then I can get shot!

Alignment or geometry checked?

Do you have the print out showing the toe, camber and caster at each corner, along with the steer ahead and thrust angles?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I don't have any of that stuff no sorry. It's a company car and gets treated as such. I'm just not keen on the car. It has many good points don't get me wrong, I just feel it falls short on many things the car should be.

I'm a controls engineer so altering things with software is something I like to do, so just wanted to have a tinker.

Well either way, it was rubbish from new. And when these came out I wasn't the only one complaining of rubbish steering on this forum. Perhaps people have just got used to it.

Anyway, I think I have improved things. Will report back after a couple of thousand miles.

In sport the assistance is nicely weighted but doesnt have a great deal of feel.

Also the stock rack is quite slow at lower speeds....the first sort of 30/40 degree of steering angle either way not really creating a change of direction one would expect best way I can describe but improves greatly at speed.

Just dont drive a vRS....the progressive rack is amazing and stand out is what makes the car so different to the regular car.....I have a GTD with this rack and every time I get in my Octavia driving around town it feels like turning the wheel on a ship by comparison...just so direct by comparison....but again lacking a bit of feel but that is EPS racks for you cant beat a bit of old school hydraulic assistance still but they are getting better and better.

I've driven lots of VAG cars and none of them have good steering. I'm coming from the perspective of feel/feedback of what the tyres are doing on road and any messages I would expect about grip.

I suspect as most on here are very brand loyal, they haven't experienced other cars with better steering.

Other than that, my Skoda is excellent and I really like it. had it since Oct' 2014, done 20k with no issues. One service and they changed the turbo pressure sensor at that time.

Steve

I've driven lots of VAG cars and none of them have good steering. I'm coming from the perspective of feel/feedback of what the tyres are doing on road and any messages I would expect about grip.

I suspect as most on here are very brand loyal, they haven't experienced other cars with better steering.

Other than that, my Skoda is excellent and I really like it. had it since Oct' 2014, done 20k with no issues. One service and they changed the turbo pressure sensor at that time.

Steve

Id argue the progressive racks as fitted to the vRS, performance Golfs etc are v good just as is pretty typical of VAG (and the majority of mainstream EPS setups) there isnt alot of feel. V accurate though and once you get used to the car and trusting the fact it can take corners are higher speeds than feel natural (certainly the case with the GTD I have) very little to complain about.

BMW's have always had good steering but theyve not been completely immune to loss of feel with intro of EPS. That you have to pay extra for servotronic and progressive steering on nearly all their cars (standard on higher end VAG products) isnt great though.

Nope, not got lane assist. It would be working overtime if I did. The steering is rubbish on these cars.

One of many things I'm unimpressed with.

If it really bothers you, consider changing the voided front wishbone, rear bushes for superpro ones or one of the non-voided ones from the VAG cards.

If you do the rear superpro, I'd also do the front wishbone bushes too.

Really makes a huge difference (Well did on the MK2)

Edited by cheezemonkhai