anyone chipped their 1.2?

Looking round the forums, loads of Ibiza, Fabia. Polo, Golf owners have had it done to the same motor.

REVO claim 144bhp

SHARK around 130bhp I think.

Mind you looking at dyno results on the same forums the standard engines seem to be somewhere between 114 and 120 bhp anyway :)

I'd be interested to know how the throttle response changes.

The wife's 105 tsi is plenty fast enough for the Rapid IMHO, but the throttle response is often poor I find and it seems strangled to me low in the rev range.

When I had my Fabia vRS 1.9tdi remapped with Shark, it sharpened up the throttle response a LOT.

I'd be interested to know how the throttle response changes.

The wife's 105 tsi is plenty fast enough for the Rapid IMHO, but the throttle response is often poor I find and it seems strangled to me low in the rev range.

When I had my Fabia vRS 1.9tdi remapped with Shark, it sharpened up the throttle response a LOT.

I had a 1.2tsi fabia 105 and found it to be very laggy in second if at low revs.

I had it remapped by revo (closet dealer is within 10 miles). The lag was gone and the pick up was much better.

Figure wise the car dynoed at 120bhp as standard and acheived 130bhp. For all the revo figures ive seen 130-135bhp is around what youll achieve. Driveability was mich improved and made it a much more fun car to drive.

• Like 1

Yes it is a bit laggy, surprising since it has the smallest turbo I've ever seen.

I have read positive feedback re improved drivability about a variety of remap and tuning box products for this wee motor though.

Glad you said that, was half expecting someone to go "duh, it's a turbo, you have to expect lag".  I've driven quite a lot of turbo'd cars and none have had the same hesitancy as the Rapid, especially as like you said, it's only a small turbo so should spin up pretty quickly.

I had a 1.2tsi fabia 105 and found it to be very laggy in second if at low revs.

I had it remapped by revo (closet dealer is within 10 miles). The lag was gone and the pick up was much better.

Figure wise the car dynoed at 120bhp as standard and acheived 130bhp. For all the revo figures ive seen 130-135bhp is around what youll achieve. Driveability was mich improved and made it a much more fun car to drive.

Interesting.  Anyone know if it's a ECU out job on a Rapid, or can it be done through the OBDII port?

The secret with getting the turbo to kick in quickly and pull nicely is keeping the revs up, if you go out for an overtake at 60 in 6th gear it's going to be slow, knock it down to 4th and away you go. I don't think mines 105 bhp, I reckon mines a good 110-115. Getting mine chipped is something I'd consider so I'd be interested in hearing how you get on, what difference it makes, good and bad and the cost. I would like a plug in one like blue fin but I don't think they do it for Rapids.

It's not so much overtaking; that's easy with planning ahead.

The lag is really annoying out of bends in 2nd and 3rd on twisty B-roads that should be an absolute hoot to drive.

I'm finding myself carrying a greater amount of speed through the corners, than I'm really comfortable with, in order to try and keep the boost on.

Edited by camelspyyder

The secret with getting the turbo to kick in quickly and pull nicely is keeping the revs up

Shouldn't need to though, other turbo cars I've driven were much more responsive lower down the rev range.  The issue I have is not in higher gears, it's approaching a roundabout in second looking for an opportunity to go, you suddenly step on the throttle to squeeze into a gap and there's an necessary pause before it takes off.

It's a 1.2, I don't really know what your expecting.

I don't think the cubic capacity has anything to do with it.  The smaller but equally powerful 1.0 Ford Ecoboost three cylinder doesn't suffer the same hesitancy in my experience.

Had my remap done today, was a custom power map from revo. Car feels a lot more responsive on the throttle, the torque has definitely improved, and revo have given money back guarantee on 20bhp improvement. I'm happy with it.

• Like 1

Had my remap done today, was a custom power map from revo. Car feels a lot more responsive on the throttle, the torque has definitely improved, and revo have given money back guarantee on 20bhp improvement. I'm happy with it.

How is the consumption after the remap?

edit: uh sorry, you had it today :D missed it

Edited by dukedl

Glad your happy with it mate, I'm jealous been asking around to see if there's anything for my 65 plate Toledo tsi out there and I'm getting a resounding no :-(

Its the brand new motor mate, are any other VAG 1.2/110 motors listed yet?

Answered my own question with one Google...

Here is a chip tuning box for this engine (not a remap true)

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_petrol_tuning_boxes/volkswagen/polo/12_tsi_108_bhp_110_ps_81_kw__C4817.html

or here - claimed 130PS instead of stock 110PS

DTUK

Edited by camelspyyder

Thing is I don't know if I'd trust anything like that, just my opinion and mainly because I've never looked into tuning boxes so don't know the pro's and con's, but I'd really rather have a reputable company map it, which means I'm out of luck lol I've emailed revo and signed up to be a guinea pig for them so fingers crossed..

Edited by Jhutch

True 20bhp isn't a massive gain but in this car it actually makes a noticeable difference, Also the remapper stored the original ecu settings so if the car had to go in for any warranty work 10 mins and it can be reverted to standard. I have already noticed about 5mpg drop but that's probably because of the quick starts and high revs I've been using driving about today. I would deffo recommend it as it can be updated if any further mods are added to the car. Its never gonna win a drag race with an Evo but its enough to give me a smile in the baby transporter when the kids aint there lol.

• Like 1

If it puts a smile on your face then that's what it's all about so fair enough. When you say it can be put back in 10 mins does it have to go back to REVO and do they charge for that and when it's been into Skoda and Skoda haven't noticed and plugged it in for their upgrades on your service, does it have to go back to REVO, will they charge again and with any software upgrades Skoda have done will that affect the REVO settings? Sorry to ask but I'm a bit interested I just think it might be a lot of hard work while mines still under warranty.