New Yeti to be 4.70 metres long!

scribble

Greetings from France, where we live with our pet Yeti (1.2 Ambition) in Normandy and where I am reading the January issue of L'Automobile, page 63 to be persact. 

(You guys probably know all this already and I should access our forum more to keep up!)

There I see, among the new cars due in 2016, a picture of a quite aggressive YETI, more characterful than the facelifted version but looking a bit BMW.

The car is due in France in Autumn 2016 and the photo shows a number-plated, higher-standing, more business-like-for-offroad car, with the new "narrowed eyes" headlights.  It will share bits and assembly line with the optional longer Tiguan (not yet) and a Seat SUV (March 2016). 

The bonnet of the Yeti, shown in blue looks a bit BMW X-something and the side windows now look less square and more like other SUVs.  Although the view shown is not helpful, it is clear that the hitherto "box" back end has gone and that, having lenghtened the car (which, like me, you wanted) they have done a slightly leaning-in tailgate, which obviously loses a bit of space.  On the car shown, there is even more space between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch than there is on our present monster.  The back whels are pretty far back.

Like the new long Tiguan, it is apparently an up to 7 seater.

Hope this is of some use/interest.  I do not want to photo the photo and submit it but I'm off to see if I can find it on the net.

• Like 1

Me again.  This is another, German, announcement in a magazine which dates the availability the same.  I think it shows the same body shell exactly and no air-brushing etc.

http://www.autobild.de/marken-modelle/skoda/yeti/2/

I see someone else is convinced that it will actually be called the Snowman.

How many more times is that Photoshop rendition going to get shown on here!!

That is not the new Yeti!!

That is a Daily Wail equivalent motor magasine's idea of something that might be the Snowman.

• Like 1

Yes,the new seven seater due 2016 is not a replacement for the Yeti.

A 'design study' of the coupe version should be at the Geneva motorshow followed by the normal version at Paris.

Apparently the name will be 'Kodiak'

Me thinks the best place to glean info is not necessarily from some dealer sales staff as they are more interested in selling vehicles today, so are unlikely to be promoting new versions that might appear in the near future.  

Far better to keep an eye out for people in the industry and 'media' - and then take the average. You can normally suss out those that actually know against the story writers.....

Edited by aerofurb

^^^^ absolutely !

Sales staff want your money now and to be credited with a sale.

The last thing they are wanting to discuss is why you should go away and wait for a new model; they are the last people to give so much as a hint and tend to dismiss talk of an update or new model.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump a dormant thread but it's the nearest I can find here to an 'official' thread for speculating on the arrival/spec/price of the 7 seater.

I know that there's not much official out there and at the moment it's pure speculation (especially with the pictures) but it seems that there's going to be some kind of announcement sooner rather than later: http://www.carandbike.com/news/skoda-teases-something-big-could-be-new-7-seater-suv-kodiak-1269897

I'm very interested in this particular car - assuming that it is ever going to exist... - as our third's on the way in March and my PCP on the Octavia is up next summer. A reasonably-priced Sorento/Santa Fe/etc equivalent would be a no-brainer for me especially if they extend the 0% finance to it.

Yes,the new seven seater due 2016 is not a replacement for the Yeti.

A 'design study' of the coupe version should be at the Geneva motorshow followed by the normal version at Paris.

Apparently the name will be 'Kodiak'

I liked Kodak. They made good cameras & film. Then we went all digital.......

Speculate away.

Skoda won't be giving any prior notification, I wouldn't think.

You're not a young bloke from North Norfolk radio are you ))))

Got two kids, Denise and Fernando :)

Love a bit of pure speculation, me.

• Like 1

It was going to be Autumn 2016 to space out the launches, but they killed the new roomster which was due in the spring, so Skoda have a problem as the Superb was shown about 6 months ago and waiting over a year between models is not good for marketing.

If the roomster was to have been a caddy with new nose, then an Audi Q2 with a Skoda badge in Fabia trim levels ought to be a winner.

My own guess is we are going to see some special editions of various models rushed out to boost sales with some items that are normally options added as standard

• Like 1

The first picture is a (crap) Photoshop rendition, and has been floating around for ages.

The track photos are of an engineering mule for the (supposed) Snowman, which is/was going to be the big brother to the Yeti. They have also been published in the past.

The claim of the platform sharing/derivation from this CrossBlue character (to such extent as it's actually true in terms of looks) seems promising to me: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/crossblue/first-drives/volkswagen-crossblue-concept-first-drive-review

Quite like it. Big, chunky, wide stance. Grrr. Clearly this is where Auto Express have got the ideas for their 3290723 photoshops from

• Like 1

So on this topic, what spec/tech levels do people think we'll see in the Kodiak?

I've seen stories of it being based around the Octavia in terms of engines/tech but I'm sure (correct me if I'm wrong) someone high up at Skoda last year indicated any SUV would be pitched at Superb prices so could we expect Superb levels of spec/tech?

I'm definitely interested as I'm likely to need a 7 seater end of this year/start of next year some time and didn't really want to move away from Skoda.

Cheers.

Steve.

The starting price which I've seen bandied about is £24k. Assuming that's true, and given that it's going to be a pretty big vehicle, I'd hope for that money you'd be looking at similar basic spec to a Superb (estate version of which starts at £20k).

Certainly if that Autocar article above is anything to go by (obviously a reasonably big if) it's sharing it's engines with the Superb - it'd therefore make sense that it'd have roughly equivalent trim levels.

I'm setting myself up for a big disappointment because I've got high hopes for this car. If they can do a seven seater with reasonable levels of kit raided from the new Superb (or new Tiguan or whatever it happens to be) at around the £30k mark, ideally with a petrol engine, I'd be all over it.

The entry-trim Sorento is about 29 grand - the cheapest 7 seat Santa Fe is 31 - and given Skoda's attitude to standard spec versus competitors in the same segment you'd imagine a similarly-priced Kodiak would have a few more bells and whistles.

Yes, I shall be in the market in 12 months or so for a 7-seater to replace my QQ+2 and would like to return to the Skoda fold.  Don't want a huge vehicle, though: the 7 seats would be used only occasionally for grandchildren and the new Kia Carens looks very attractive size/equipment/price/warranty wise.