Change key battery

Put the ignition key in last night and on starting the car a message appeared 'change key battery'. checked again when I got home and the same message appeared.

This morning I changed the battery in the key and all is OK again. The thing is that in all the Skoda's I've owned since 2005 I have never replaced the key battery and this one is about 18 months old. Does the Mk3 use up the key battery faster than previous models, or was the battery dodgy? (Panasonic CR2025)

Anyone else had to change the key battery this soon?

Does the Mk3 use up the key battery faster than previous models, or was the battery dodgy? (Panasonic CR2025)

Anyone else had to change the key battery this soon?

Yes if you have KESSY it will drain the battery faster.

Possibly the battery was dodgy, don't know where Skoda get them from at the factory do we? Could have been sat on a shelf for a long time beforehand.

Yes, had to change mine at around 7-8 months old, 7000ish miles.

Hi

I have had the same message on my 2012 Monte which has only done 26,000 miles!! I have 2 Seat Alhambra's which I kept for a number of years and never had the problem. I know they may not have the software to check! The spare key is ok, so it's not checked on duration! So must be usage, or the system does check the voltage?

Steve

I couldn't lock the car not even a flash from the red led on the fob, when I got to work last Saturday night !

Had an anxious 12 hour shift hoping my car would be there in the morning.

April 2015 Black edition Estate, so lasted 8 months too.

Spare key works and new battery on the way. 

Andy

I couldn't lock the car not even a flash from the red led on the fob, when I got to work last Saturday night !

Had an anxious 12 hour shift hoping my car would be there in the morning.

April 2015 Black edition Estate, so lasted 8 months too.

Spare key works and new battery on the way. 

Andy

Why didn't you use the key?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Normal keys here and after 18 months the car tells me to change the battery.

Seems a little to soon as the car has seen only light duty in 18 months from new (6000 miles to date).

What will the car tell me next? Replace all tyres.....

Tested spare key today which is almost unused and this key also needs a battery change so the car advises. One could assume that

1. the key electronics draw more current continually than other makers thus draining battery more frequently

2. Both keys have faults (unlikely)

3. The cars ecu is programmed to report the battery condition after a factory set period. Feasible and could explain how dealers meet their parts sales targets if parts on the vehicles are 'lifed'

• 4 weeks later...

My key is with the dealers, it's using a battery between every 10 to 14 days.  I am using the spare that's over two years old.

What was the response? Looks like I have the same problem - changed battery 10 days ago and now MFA say to change again... Must be something wrong with the key or receiver. I don't have Kessy.

Key with dealer, I have left it a very long time to check to try and make it clear it's the key and not me. Just to add to the problem  I am struggling to find the time to get to the dealers when they are open.  Looking to resolve the issue this week or next.

Ok - thanks. Please give me any updates - when you got news.

I've just called my dealer (car is only 6 months old - so expect to be covered by warranty) - they will have a look at it in 2 weeks... they are busy and its not urgent as key no 2 still works. They need both keys and the car to test what could be the problem.

Dempsek - is your key a normal one or a Kessy?

• 2 weeks later...

Key has been left with dealer for 3 months and I ring up to see what is happening, Oh we have just (?) checked it and the key battery is flat you need to book the car and other key in.

Car and main (spare) key are going into dealer on Friday.

Thanks for the response. My dealer wanted me to try their battery - so im on 3rd battery since Aug15. Its 5 days now ... Will give feedback here if it fails again within the next couple of weeks.

Tip: Insert a CR2032 battery instead of a CR2025. They are slightly thicker but last 50% longer, and they fit just fine. I just had to replace mine.

Did you get any issues with this or does it work 100% fine?

Tip: Insert a CR2032 battery instead of a CR2025. They are slightly thicker but last 50% longer, and they fit just fine. I just had to replace mine.

Did you get any issues with this or does it work 100% fine?

Funnily enough I did this with mine as I had a load of CR2032's spare, and as Orville mentioned, they're slightly thicker (the first two numbers i.e. '20' being the diameter and the latter two numbers being the thickness, so '25' being 2.5mm thick and '32' being 3.2mm thick), but apart from a little more pressure being required to push the contact spring down and close the cover, it's fine and has worked without issue!

Especially good as you can get packs of 10 x CR2032's, which are generally always in the lighting section, for a couple of quid from well known Swedish flat pack furniture store (begins with an 'I' and ends with an 'A' and it's got 'KE' in the middle - just in case advertising is frowned upon by the moderators), which I think I can safely say will no doubt be a lot cheaper than buying from a dealer!

Edited by Nookiebear
  • Like 1