New map updates out?

26DIPP

I got the V13 map updates no problem and I'm happy with them. . . . The icing on the cake was supposed to be an update of Personal POI's for safety cameras - try as I might (six hours worth today with four different sd cards) this just will not load into my 2011 Columbus.

The Personal POI's option on my menus is dark as though it's not in use. My software version is 3984.

As I have found much useful info on this forum, I would like to add a detail in return and also encourage Mickey to keep trying.

I have a Superb of similar vintage and have had some success updating the maps over the years using discs obtained from a range of auction site suppliers. I am on firmware 3984 and this week it accepted the new V13 Western Europe maps without a problem.

I had the same difficulty as Mickey and others in that when trying to load Personal POIs into Columbus via an SD card, the Personal POI line was greyed out. I have probably used the same supplier as Mickey and along with the map disc came a free POI file for speed cameras. I could not make it work - and I have been out to a frozen car several times this week!

I tried Raptor's good advice as I was trying to generate the SD card from a Mac. Even with Blueharvest, I was still seeing Mac file garbage on the card. I finally made it work by using a Windows PC and reformatting the card from scratch. I had to use the slow reformat option in Windows 10 to get a truly clean card. I also had to change the suffix on the camera file to lower case - that is to .db3 from the .DB3 sent by the supplier. It made all the difference in that when the card is loaded into the Columbus, the PersonalPOI option is then available. The camera files load up in under a minute. To test this, I changed the suffix back to capital letters - and it would not load. 

I hope this helps. If the Personal POI line is greyed out, it means that Columbus is not seeing a readable file for some reason. I am surprised it is fussy on the case of the suffix - but it did the trick for me, once I had a truly clean SD card with the correct folder and file.

Encouraged by this, I may have a go at generating my own db3 files next time!  :happy:

Thanks to all the helpful experts here.

Mike

• Like 2

After reading this thread I managed to find version 8348 on an auction site for £8 including the speed camera database. Map arrived on DVD and updated very easy.

• Like 1

After reading this thread I managed to find version 8348 on an auction site for £8 including the speed camera database. Map arrived on DVD and updated very easy.

Good result, well done.

As I have found much useful info on this forum, I would like to add a detail in return and also encourage Mickey to keep trying.

I have a Superb of similar vintage and have had some success updating the maps over the years using discs obtained from a range of auction site suppliers. I am on firmware 3984 and this week it accepted the new V13 Western Europe maps without a problem.

I had the same difficulty as Mickey and others in that when trying to load Personal POIs into Columbus via an SD card, the Personal POI line was greyed out. I have probably used the same supplier as Mickey and along with the map disc came a free POI file for speed cameras. I could not make it work - and I have been out to a frozen car several times this week!

I tried Raptor's good advice as I was trying to generate the SD card from a Mac. Even with Blueharvest, I was still seeing Mac file garbage on the card. I finally made it work by using a Windows PC and reformatting the card from scratch. I had to use the slow reformat option in Windows 10 to get a truly clean card. I also had to change the suffix on the camera file to lower case - that is to .db3 from the .DB3 sent by the supplier. It made all the difference in that when the card is loaded into the Columbus, the PersonalPOI option is then available. The camera files load up in under a minute. To test this, I changed the suffix back to capital letters - and it would not load. 

I hope this helps. If the Personal POI line is greyed out, it means that Columbus is not seeing a readable file for some reason. I am surprised it is fussy on the case of the suffix - but it did the trick for me, once I had a truly clean SD card with the correct folder and file.

Encouraged by this, I may have a go at generating my own db3 files next time!  :happy:

Thanks to all the helpful experts here.

Mike

Interesting Mike,

The Skoda site says these formats are supported:

Choose a file containing a PPOI collection.

supported formats:

.ASC (Tom Tom, Igo, Navigon)

.CSV (ROute66, Garmin, Navman)

.GPX (Garmin)

.KML/KMZ (Google Earth)

Alan

Hi Mike

The problem with a Mac is Apple wants to control evrything. As you have read It took me several attempts to resolve the detritus issue. After using Blueharvest, you then need to manually remove the files into trash. I found it can sometimes take several attempts to get it to work. That maybe my fumbling but it does work. Pleased you found a work a around. You are correct in recognising the need for syntax errors. Tehcnology hey! Cannot live without it but painful at times living with it

I found this link elsewhere on these pages, it seems to work perfectly (although I suspect the mobile site DB may well be out of date, the fixed cameras seem to be correct):

linni, on 26 Apr 2015 - 18:47, said:snapback.png

Just download folder here and copy to SD card.

I found this link elsewhere on these pages, it seems to work perfectly (although I suspect the mobile site DB may well be out of date, the fixed cameras seem to be correct):

linni, on 26 Apr 2015 - 18:47, said:snapback.png

Here is fresher one, from December:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqx67o1sr4x896i/PersonalPOI.rar?dl=0

Edited by linni

Meanwhile I discovered there`s new week 2 January database available:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqx67o1sr4x896i/PersonalPOI.rar?dl=0

Excellent linni,

I notice the DB has been set up in German (no problem, I speak German fairly well), so I rather assume it is a Europe wide coverage?

Very best wishes,

Alan

Excellent linni,

I notice the DB has been set up in German (no problem, I speak German fairly well), so I rather assume it is a Europe wide coverage?

Very best wishes,

Alan

Not only Europe, but the whole world.

If you check the part number and firmware on your unit at the moment you can tell. Best look at the sticker on top of the unit. If you have a firmware starting with anything other than a 6*** then you can't use it. If you have a firmware starting with a 6*** then you don't need it.

Only use it if you already have a 6*** firmware and need to reinstall it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. So I managed to get my car and found that my unit is the following:

3T0035680D

HW: H60

SW: 3984

What is the latest verion of firmware that I can install on my unit? Also can it solve the fact that the menus are kind of laggy?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember the 8*** number (possibly 8495) but it's West Europe V13.  I think I paid £15 on a well-known internet auction site; they're available all over the place for less than £25. You'd have to be a complete moron to pay the scandalous prices that Skoda charge.

I had heard of the odd torrent or two kicking about so maybe not needing to part with £15 - of course this would be a breach of copyright just like the ones on the auction sites

Has anyone ever done a step by step guide to creating your own camera POI ?

As in totally from scratch??? That would be an immense task. Why not just use something like PGPSW then import them into the Columbus?

As in totally from scratch??? That would be an immense task. Why not just use something like PGPSW then import them into the Columbus?

Maybe I should rephrase that - has anyone done some instructions on how to use something like PGPSW then import them into the Columbus? What is PGPSW? Where does the data come from? See what I mean....

OK so I have found PGPSW and created an account. I can download a file from them but need to convert it in some way to use on my Columbus - I did find a post about using some VW site to do this but it looks like that is for later versions of the Columbus and not a 2008 model. So my question is what do I use to convert this into a usable format?

Here's the how to guide.....   ;)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246805-guide-to-vw-poi-collections-loader-site/

Once you have done it a couple of times you know which buttons to press etc.....

Edited by WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey

thanks for that - will it matter that my Columbus is from before Week 22 of 2011 as my car is a 2008 model so can I still use this method?

Thanks

Martin