667 miles in the first week with Yeti 1.4TSI L&K

Austerby

I went through the figures carefully before buying my L&K on PCP and couldn't find anything remotely better as a deal. I'd bought my previous car this way, having the first few years on finance then settling the balance to own outright. With hindsight I should probably have taken a new car then rather than hanging on to it for subsequent years,

Thanks speed sport - yes I understand the mechanics of it just wondered how you know/ when this will become available.

Many thanks.

It's part of the deal that I was given on Monday when I placed the order for my next Yeti. It could be that part of what I've been offered isn't officially available until 15th. The £750 finance deposit is on some dealers websites already, the £1000 loyalty bonus has been going since before Christmas, so it may be that it's the card that's not officially launched until 15th. Maybe I'm putting 2 and 2 together and making 5, but whether the card is on general offer now, or not until after 15th, I'm getting it!  :yes:

Edited by speedsport
  • Like 1

Currently running a Polo diesel on a PCP and have seen that I could get a Yeti SE 2.0 TDI on a similar PCP for only not a great more than I am paying now. I'm getting hammered by the interest rate on my Polo. Admittedly the final payment is higher but only by about grand or so. No definite figures.

Tempting.

Yours is a DSG, mine was a manual.

Understood, but the engine's the same.  The DSG is reading the engine's state and shifting appropriately.  I'm on 23K miles, though - how were  you? 

Edited by Brijo

Octavia is considerably more aerodynamic than a Yeti.

quite :-)  the cabins are so similar that I don't really notice much difference. I loved the Yeti on twisty hilly roads compared with my Octy II but the Octy III is not too shabby on these types of road either

Dangerous.

Guys - do not buy all the 1.4 L&Ks until I have decided what to do by the end of this month - thank you. :p

Don't worry - numbers have come back and the current cost to change doesn't appeal at the moment. Though the dealer did say he has sold 3 X L&K 1.4s in the past couple of months - more than any other flavour of Yeti!

We discussed the absence of 'lesser' 1.4 variants and he was saying how the pre facelift 1.4 didn't sell well, which is probably the main reason for Skoda's reluctance to expand the offering.

As he pointed out though, that car had far higher emissions than the current 1.4 and was uncompetitively priced; too much more expensive than the 1.2 and too close to the TDI at the time. Diesel was also still 'flavour of the month' unlike now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've always found that news of forthcoming supply of a new range or option is never circulated for the obvious (in many circumstances) reason that they want to reduce a possible oversupply of the less attractive version until it suites them.

Supply and demand is their secret business.

I too have spoken to Skoda UK today, to ask if there's any likelihood of the 1.4Tsi becoming available in the UK with DSG gearbox. (I know this has been covered before, but i thought I'd try).

The very helpful chap spoke to "UK Sales" who advised that each market decides what versions will sell and which won't, and then base their product range accordingly. Skoda UK market research (who do they ask?) indicates that there is no demand for a 1.4Tsi DSG so there are no plans to bring it to the UK. Same goes for 1.4Tsi manual in trim levels other than L&K.

They feel that the 1.2 satisfies the UK's market requirement for petrol models at lower trim levels.

He did say that if I was prepared to provide my contact details, my interest would be recorded on their system (and they would not use the info to try to sell me anything). So I did!

Oh well...!

I too have spoken to Skoda UK today, to ask if there's any likelihood of the 1.4Tsi becoming available in the UK with DSG gearbox. Like speedsport I was told there was no demand. I asked on what this assumption was based and was told that only from dealer enquiries!!! I then asked if they looked at online sites like Briskoda and the answer was no!!!! Perhaps it is time for a Briskoda survey that could then be used to persuade Skoda UK to change their minds.  I also pointed out that the Skoda.de site had many more petrol 4x4 dsg options.

• Like 2

?

Who did you speak to at Skoda UK, a call handler at Customer Services, a Manager or someone in Senior Management.?

Alasdair Stewart Brand Director Skoda UK certainly knows all about Briskoda as do Senior Customer Services Managers because they have had to act quickly at various times when Customer / Owners have been lied to or mislead seriously.

Alasdair Stewart has minions act quickly when communications get to him directly.

I spoke to a handler at Customer Services, who in turn spoke to a lady manager in marketing, unfortunately I could not get the name of the marketing manager.  Notwithstanding all this, the bottom line is that Skoda UK, for whatever reason, are not selling what I want namely a 1.4dsg outdoor 4x4 which is available in 3 different engine power ratings in Germany.

Edited by mthestrong

I too have spoken to Skoda UK today, to ask if there's any likelihood of the 1.4Tsi becoming available in the UK with DSG gearbox. Like speedsport I was told there was no demand. I asked on what this assumption was based and was told that only from dealer enquiries!!! I then asked if they looked at online sites like Briskoda and the answer was no!!!! Perhaps it is time for a Briskoda survey that could then be used to persuade Skoda UK to change their minds.  I also pointed out that the Skoda.de site had many more petrol 4x4 dsg options.

Briskoda is gold dust for a supplier and a mine of information and market research - ignore your customers and enthusiasts at your peril - members are more likely to spread the word and sell Skodas than the main dealer sales force. Unpaid sales army here.

• Like 1

Skoda CZ now has a new CEO.  A person that has served his time the VW way.

Hopefully that is a good move for Skoda Buyers.

So luckily Dr Winfried Vahalands departed as Skoda's CEO and then 'resigned' his new job as head of VW USA.

He signed off some real stinkers and has been in charge of Skoda right through the 'Defeat Device' / Emissions Scandal.

Maybe best contact Volkswagen HQ and see what the VWG are going to allow Skoda UK as Imported vehicles in the future,

after all they hold the purse strings.

Petrols will hopefully feature in Skoda's plans and when decisions are made about increasing Skoda sales in the UK there 

will be more choices.

The only thing is VW are planning on reducing models variations that have too many choices and cross over across the VWG Brands.

They have too many choices and make too small profits per vehicle built.

Skoda is Simply Clever.

But there are Dealer Launches etc and people that tell stories, rumours, tales and lots of stuff that comes true or not.

Auto Express will tell you all about it from 'An Insider' who will be part of the Volkswagen / Skoda Media Spin department sometime down the line.

PS

People do send Emails to Alasdair Stewart, i am not one of them.

I do read the replies with interest when i get the chance.

This would be a better person to communicate with.

http://carscoops.com/2015/11/former-porsche-executive-bernhard-maier.html

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

• 2 weeks later...

Can 1.4 owners update on what their average mpg is please?

Still under 500 miles on the clock and all mileage on local roads mostly at school run times and just under 30mpg.

140bhp diesel on same runs was low 40s but no doubt things will improve with more miles on the clock.

• Like 1