Real economy?

Cricster

Hi people, I have seen a lot of posts about people's mpg and what they are getting but I think I must drive with the handbrake on because I can't get any where Near a lot of these figure, I have a 2.0 140 4x4 manual and at 70 on the m way I struggle to get 40?

I have come from a thirsty V8 Range Rover that was gas converted so anything is better on fuel than that but I expected a bit more I think. Or maybe I just heavy footed and still enjoying the torque.

Any info would be good.

Cheers

My 2010 140 has averaged the high 40's over the time I have had the car (5 years/100k miles). Now I've stopped going to work it has dropped slightly, probably because we are doing more shorter trips.

I have found that anything over 60 knocks the consumption down, but luckily I don't have to use roads that allow that speed very often. I have also found that doing a journey at 60 doesn't actually take any longer than doing it more quickly, and is less stressful.

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 3

Like Graham, I actually like to drive at my speed rather than that set by the traffic on motorways.

The less you use your brakes the better the economy.

• Like 4

Hi Cricster, There are a number of factors which determine the fuel economy of a vehicle, as many will tell you and which you may already know. If your Yeti has not travelled many miles, the engine might still be loosening up. Do you maintain recommended tyre pressure or slightly higher for better economy? Travelling at higher speeds, especially above 60 mph will reduce the fuel economy. Driving styles vary and in turn effect the economy.

My Yeti is a 1.8 tsi DSG, which I drove to my daughter's house today; a distance of 14.5 kilometres each way. There are a few traffic lights and a couple of roundabouts no motorway travel and the traffic was light allowing me to drive for best economy. Approximately a third of the travel is 60 kph,70kph and 80 kph. with results of 7.1 litres per 100 kilometres there and 6.7 litres per 100 kilometres (maxidot display figures) for the return journey. 

Having stated this, I know that I could easily add 2 litres per 100 kilometres just to try and save two minutes of time. How do I know this? Because I tried it out once, just out of curiosity. I also know that the Maxidot display understated the economy by approximately 0.5 litres per 100 kilometres. These two examples for the same drive, illustrates the effect of different driving styles.

I do hope this is of some use to you.

Best regards,

Banjobach.

Mine returns mid-to-low 40s doing mostly rural roads, school run etc.p with the wife at the helm. On a long run with me in it it'll push a bit higher. Most we get from a tank (miles covered plus miles-to-empty) is around 600, although is is more often in the mid 500s.

Hi guys thanks for replies, I'll stick it at 60 and try that, my car is a '63 plate and covered 30k.

My round town mileage is down but that's due to 6 to 10 miles I guess.

2 litre DSG - 30-32 around town (which is what I mostly do) and 40-42 on a run. I keep a spreadsheet and since new I have averaged 33.77 mpg. I don't do a lot of mileage (7K in 15 months) so I'm not really concerned about it.

I used to run a Toyota Corolla 2litre diesel and that did just over 40 mpg no matter what. I could get it towards 50 mpg by driving as if I had a sleeping princess in the car. I like my Yeti but it certainly isn't economical when it comes to fuel.

• Like 1

My 2.0 170 4x4 averages around 48mpg (long term) with me driving it (less with SWMBO behind the wheel).

I rarely do over 65 on the motorways, as I know the economy drops off rapidly above this, and can get the economy up to almost 60mpg on a pure motorway run (again average, as I have seen higher figures but only occasionally).

My indicated display is within 1-2 mph of the long term average as I have checked it over a year now and adjusted it with VCDS.

KBPhoto - I do not understand your quoted 48 MPG figure above as you Fuelly average is only 41.1 MPG??

That's the weird thing about Fuelly - it displays differently to other people, dependant on what browser/settings you have. KBPhoto's link shows 49.3 to me. Are you running an adblocker, noscript or similar?

Long term average in mine is 41.7mpg over 45K. Down to under 40 on the last couple of fill-ups, as I'm only doing short runs and most of those have been in the rain :(  I can get upper 40's on a long motorway run at 63 (enough to get me past trucks), but just pushing that to 68/9 drops mpg to 40.

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply. Yes I do run adblocker, but got the same number without it. BUT I did see it was for some reason in USA units - changed to UK and get the 49 MPG. :D Apologies for that Addict. :sweat:

BUT I should also say I get about 41 MPG, same as you Martin, in my 2.0 170 BHP Yeti, that is why I was surprised that someone managed as much as 49 MPG. He must obviously drive a lot slower than myself, who enjoys the power especially on long up-hills where I used to struggle a bit in my Roomster 1.6 petrol.

Richard (BossFox on here) has a 170 (amongst others) and also gets upper 40's. There are a few others that do get book figures for mpg. It seems to depend on use - longer commutes at steady speeds of 60 or less gets some good figures. Mine is remapped and I do like to use the extra power every now & then, and the trip mpg takes a hammering when that happens!

Hi Cricster,  just over 41000 miles with overall average 41mpg, in 23 months of ownership.

As said above, top end speed does drop the mpg.

Where safe, I do 70mph here and 80mph (130kph) in France.

After numerous Land Rovers & R/R the Yeti gives me double and more some times, after what I used to get. 

I sometimes look at fuel and see that it is only showing me the figures for the last 10 fill ups. This fluctuates quite a lot depending upon whether I am doing more motorway driving or school runs!

The average has been 48.8 for quite a while as I stopped adding records to fuelling about 3 months ago due to increased commitments to actually doing some work! When people refer to me as 'addict' on here I start to realise that perhaps I spend too much time on this forum as well!!!

Edited by KBPhoto

From experience, you can't get an Excel spreadsheet onto here, other than saving a screenshot and putting that on Photobucket.

You are correct Graham. I did try to make it a photo but it came out 'grainy' so retreated to that famous corner and started doing something else!

For the record....140 tdi 4x4 DSG, 20,000 miles over just over 3 years averaging 39.8 mpg.

My mileage has dropped considerably since I retired from 25k to 5k.

I drive to the speed limits....always have

I like the torque of a diesel and I will put up with any low mileage diesel issues

• Like 2

My 140 2012, 12500 miles = summer 35 to 38 mpg Local max 3 miles. stay in 4th.  Long trips 38 to 48 mpg.     Winter 33 to 35 mpg Local. Long trips about the same. (Long Trips MW and A roads)

I have recorded mpg from the day I bought the Yeti. 

Staying in 4th gear on short trips helps the DPF as the engine warms up to working temp after a good 3 miles.

You are correct Graham. I did try to make it a photo but it came out 'grainy' so retreated to that famous corner and started doing something else!

For the record....140 tdi 4x4 DSG, 20,000 miles over just over 3 years averaging 39.8 mpg.

My mileage has dropped considerably since I retired from 25k to 5k.

I drive to the speed limits....always have

I like the torque of a diesel and I will put up with any low mileage diesel issues

Use the "screen shot" button on your computer; normally F11 and the Function key. That will save to (probably) your Pictures folder. Then put the image on Photobucket and show that on here.

I find that my Maxidot consumption figure is 5% higher than my spreadsheet. Other have found their's higher.