Run out of car wash what to get next?

Chriswright03

When I joined here I read up on and was advised about how to clean (sorry detail) the car.  I was advised to buy the Meguiars Gold which I duly did which came in a  kit with the wax.  I have run out of the Gold and now need to replace it with more of the same or something else.  So that is my question really the same or something else?

I am happy with it but if there is something out there that is as good or better then could you please let me know?  I have found the bigger 1.9 litre bottle for £16.49 on fleabay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-Gold-Class-Shampoo-1-9-Litre-1-9L-G7164-Car-Gloss-Finish-Wash-Cleaning-/351157818694?hash=item51c2a31546:g:lkIAAOSwRLZT~0Hz

This comes with free postage or I can just nip round to my local Halfords and get it for a quid more.  I am actually inclined to do that not because I have any loyalty towards Halfords but just that I believe buying locally helps keep someone in a job and a quid is neither here nor there in the whole scheme of things.  They do not seem to have an offer on cleaning products at the moment other than Auto Glymn.

So any ideas?

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Me personally I like trying other products so do a lot of online shopping for bits I need and like. On the other hand Meguires Gold Class shampoo is excellent in my eyes.

Although not the cheapest out there but as for cleaning power & dilution ratios go it's very good. So it's kind of a "if it's not broken don't fix it" sort of thing. If you enjoy it & it works for you then stick with it.

Some other shampoos I have used and been very happy with are.

Defintiive wax shampoo

Krystal Kleen Details Cherry wash

Britemax Shampoo

Adams polishes shampoo

Dodo juice sour apple

Those above have to be bought online unless you a have a reseller near you. Hope this helps mate.

Karl.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Get what you like and is it often

If you like the auto gylm stick with it

My dad like the megs stuff

I had a stage of using the zymol stuff a while ago

I am back with AG now

Even without been on offer I find it very good value :)

• Like 4

Just been into town to the Motor Factors and they have Meguiars but not the Gold so a trip to Halfords I think later.

Thanks everyone for the advice as ever most helpful. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I keep going back to Gold Class and have been using it for as long as I can remember, tried various other shampoo’s (including Meg’s NXT) but prefer the Gold.

Usually buy several bottles of it when on offer in Halfords 

• Like 4

Well having just seen another thread on here about a discount on offer at Euro Car arts and knowing that is who was selling it on fleabay I have just ordered it for £14.02 including free delivery!  Double result then.

Edited by Chriswright03
  • Like 3

Meguiars Gold Class for me

Nothing comes close in terms of value and ability

That's quite a big claim Chris. Not one other shampoo in the world comes close to Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo??? Really??? You cannot have tried many mate.

Wolfs Chemicals White Satin for me, but you've got a bargain with the offer at ECP Chris. Like Karl said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is certainly nothing wrong with Gold Class, but there are better out there for me.

• Like 3

That's quite a big claim Chris. Not one other shampoo in the world comes close to Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo??? Really??? You cannot have tried many mate.

Wolfs Chemicals White Satin for me, but you've got a bargain with the offer at ECP Chris. Like Karl said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is certainly nothing wrong with Gold Class, but there are better out there for me.

I think the bit I have highlighted made my mind up really.  I know what it does and am satisfied with it so go with what you know usually works.  I am not averse to trying other stuff hence my question but for now I will stick with what I have been using.  All I have to do now is sort out my foam dilution to get it to work and find a couple of dry warm days to renovate the soft top and I will be sorted.  Not for a while me thinks!

• Like 1

I think the bit I have highlighted made my mind up really.  I know what it does and am satisfied with it so go with what you know usually works.  I am not averse to trying other stuff hence my question but for now I will stick with what I have been using.  All I have to do now is sort out my foam dilution to get it to work and find a couple of dry warm days to renovate the soft top and I will be sorted.  Not for a while me thinks!

I read your posts on the Snow Foam buddy. Shame, but what works for one doesn't for another. I used Valetpro PH neutral snow foam and thought it was useless so bought bilt ahmbers autofoam which is excellent. Not heard much on the Advanced one that you have. Best of luck with getting it sorted, but filling the bottle up to a third with the Snow Foam formula is a heck of a lot of product to use.

The hood is definitely a spring job buddy. But it has been pretty mild so far this winter, so you never know!!

Bit late on this, but catching up - sounds like you have had some good advice;

plus you managed to get the Meg's Gold Class in the ECP Xmas sale!  ;)

Likewise - they had some of the Meguiars Detailer range in 3.78L tubs going very cheap and free delivery!

Some of my favourite products for example.... Last Touch, APC, Shampoo Plus to name a few!!! 

Top 5 shampoo options i would happily recommend (they are all on the shelf in the garage too!):-

Britemax Cleanmax

Meguiars Gold Class

AG Car shampoo

Definitive Wax Car Shampoo

OPT - Optimum Car Wash Concentrate

Enjoy your new detailing purchase(s)  :thumbup:

• Like 3

I read your posts on the Snow Foam buddy. Shame, but what works for one doesn't for another. I used Valetpro PH neutral snow foam and thought it was useless so bought bilt ahmbers autofoam which is excellent. Not heard much on the Advanced one that you have. Best of luck with getting it sorted, but filling the bottle up to a third with the Snow Foam formula is a heck of a lot of product to use.

The hood is definitely a spring job buddy. But it has been pretty mild so far this winter, so you never know!!

I think the snow foam is just down to me diluting it too much.  I hadn't really noticed before but this time the car was really filthy and the muck was still on it when washed off.  Yes it is a lot of product to use but by my reckoning it is a quarter of a bottle if it is  3 - 1 ratio.  Having said that my maths is rubbish.  What it did do was clean the roof really well.  I have steered clear of foaming the roof because the handbook says don#t use a pressure washer.  Chris suggested if I was careful it would be OK and it was.  No leaks, no damage and came up really clean.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of using a PW on a fabric roof personally. I never did it with mine as it forces water deep into the mohair and will eventually cause it to become porous, so I would never recommend that. It's a bit like a sledgehammer to crack a nut and the manufacturers will have put that in the handbook for a reason. Just a purpose made fabric cleaner and a stiff upholstery brush did mine a treat. Although I did use some anti bacterial stuff to clean a patch of mildew. It needs killing as cleaning will allow it to return.

Normally an inch will suffice in the bottom of the bottle WRT Snowfoam, but some require higher concentration. Keep us posted, Chris.

• Like 2

I know what you mean about the roof but I can't see it is much different to using a hose pipe 'providing' you are not daft with it.  I mean folk put them through car washes!  I certainly do not intend to do it often and perhaps just the once is enough to clean it until I manage to renovate it with the stuff I have.   I have had soft top cars on and off over the years and the roofs never come really clean with a normal wash.

To be fair I am not that big a fan of using pressure washers anyway as if you are not careful all you are doing is forcing the grit and muck into your paintwork under pressure.  Obviously it depends how close you are to the bodywork and how long you sustain the spray in any given area.  Same applies with the roof really and I would suggest that the warning in the handbook is to stop the people using a pressure washer on the roof as they are probably the same people that have to have 'may contain hot liquid' on their coffee cups!

• Like 3

Just another car shampoo to throw into the mix for next time I really rate Car Chem 1:1900 and I use Apple flavour but there are a number of other smells to choose from.

Really slick on the paint work, cleans well and great sudds.

• Like 2

I know what you mean about the roof but I can't see it is much different to using a hose pipe 'providing' you are not daft with it.  I mean folk put them through car washes!  I certainly do not intend to do it often and perhaps just the once is enough to clean it until I manage to renovate it with the stuff I have.   I have had soft top cars on and off over the years and the roofs never come really clean with a normal wash.

To be fair I am not that big a fan of using pressure washers anyway as if you are not careful all you are doing is forcing the grit and muck into your paintwork under pressure.  Obviously it depends how close you are to the bodywork and how long you sustain the spray in any given area.  Same applies with the roof really and I would suggest that the warning in the handbook is to stop the people using a pressure washer on the roof as they are probably the same people that have to have 'may contain hot liquid' on their coffee cups!

I can imagine part of that is true, Chris. There is always someone that goes a little daft, but I certainly wouldn't use it on the hood every time, as 110 bar could cause plenty of damage.

With the paintwork, it's all about the angle of attack to take the grit away from the paint and not fire it straight into it.

• Like 2

Well just to update the thread.  DHL delivered the Meguiar's yesterday so rapid service by ECP.  Just a pity is is going to be raining continually up until Friday!  Still if that is my only problem while folk all over the place are suffering floods I don't think I have it bad.

• Like 4