NOISE IN REAR SUSPENSION

On 4/26/2018 at 21:36, JackySi said:

As I wrote in another topic. Got the car back. Other issues I had were fixed (thank god - which I don't believe in). The rear knocking sound dealer couldn't find the cause. And because they're not exactly "large" dealership, they can't just go and change parts to try out what could it be. So i'm left with the car that still has the issue. This dealership is faar superior to other 2 I had before by the way. Have to emphasize that!!!

I asked to pay absorbers my self so they told me they would do free swap of shock absorbers if that's not the issue. If it is, they can claim warranty from Skoda so I would not have to pay, if I understood properly of course. Sounds like awesome deal. Zero warranty that's the issue however. Also I feel sound is coming from left side of the car only and it has been like that since I took it home So could be something else like exhaust or something. I don't honestly know anymore. Its not a cheap swap if I decide to do so (800€) and if its not the issue I'm left with nothing.

Sorry for another post, can't edit the previous post anymore. On the German forums I was looking https://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/problem-kombi-superb-3-klopfgeraeusche-bei-bodenwellen.103764/ people have issue with "Hydro Bearings".  I didn't notice anyone talking about that on this forum?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, this is weird. After a couple of weeks with no noise it came back today with a vengeance!! Any kind of suspension movement, over any bumps or uneven road surface. Sounds like something is really loose  and rattling around in the rear suspension, but I can't feel anything wrong.

However one thing is consistent - the hot weather! It happens when my car is left in the sun on a hot sunny day for a while. When the car cools down after being parked in the shade the noise goes away! Very odd. Is something expanding in the heat and becoming loose? Or is there some grease or hydraulic fluid or oil or something that is losing its viscosity with the heat? 

(BTW, I have DCC and run it in 'Sport' suspension mode in the Individual setting all the time and never change it.)

Unfortunately this is something I fear will not be easily replicated at a dealer for them to acknowledge unless under these certain hot conditions.

Anyone else noticing similar? It's bugging the hell out of me!

Haven't read that German forum yet, has anyone else that can sum up what they say? Is there a fix? Has anyone got a Skoda dealer to acknowledge the problem and fixed it? Warranty job? Thanks in advance...

My car has a rattle somewhere in front suspension and dealer is now investigating that. The possible front rattle problem could be caused by faulty front shock absorbers. 2 years ago when my car had the rattle in rear suspension the fault parts were both side hydraulic bushes - No3 in the image

TPI_2 Skaidrojums.jpg

Edited by Deerjohn

Just left dealership and I can confirm the noise in rear is gone. The only noise left are front wishbone bushes. In rear the hydraulic bushings were replaced under warranty and noise is gone. That dealer didnt have on stock so one more week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have this kind of rattle in your Superb which is coming from the front part of the car? Experts are saying that rattle sound is coming from gearbox... Does anybody have solution for this? 

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just bought a 65 plate mkiii with DCC and immediately noticed the knocking sound from the rear of the car at low speeds on uneven ground.

I'd assumed an anti roll bar linkage but sounds like the wishbone bush will be the real culprit. I have manufacturers warranty remaining on the car so 'maybe' I can get this sorted by the dealer. Can anyone in the UK advise if they managed this and how they pointed the dealer at the TSB?

Thanks,

ip 

This was a known issue with early models especially those with DCC. All the inof is in this thread. There was a Tech Service Bulletin issued in about Apr/May 2016 but as I have since sold that vehicle I cnat tell you the number. Copied below is info that posted from Sweden when this was all over the forum. My guess is your car was never modified as it was a service call and not a safety recall.

Good luck and hth

The rattling noise in the rear depends on a faulty casting of the wishbone bushings.

In a certain period of manufacturing, there were bubbles of air in the rubber mixture, which can give a rattling noise in the rear.

The fault only affect cars with adjustable DCC chassis, and only during a certain period of manufacturing.

Skoda has now developed a new type of bushing to solve the issue. The new bushings have a green, yellow or blue marking on them.

You take away the wishbones in the back, pressing out the faulty bushings and replace them with new ones. After this, the car's wheel angles are adjusted.

It's part number 3 in the picture below that is replaced.

You loosen the bolts 4, 5 and 6 to have the wishbone free. Screws number 4 is adjustable to be able to change the rears toe-in. Therefor, a wheel angle adjustment is needed.

image.png.e5f5df531c6ab4d35f305cfbe1582518.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Took it in yesterday and went out with one of the dealer’s techs to demonstrate the noise. I’d failed to take into account that the noise mainly occurs when the car is cold and after the 30 minute journey to the dealers it hardly made a sound on the test run, leaving me looking like an idiot.

I’ve now booked it in for Monday evening to leave it with them so they can take it out cold on Tuesday morning.

I took the car in yesterday evening so they could take it out cold this morning. The dealer has just called me to say their tech still couldn’t hear anything, which is a bit annoying as I know it was still doing it yesterday.

He then said they took it into the workshop and got it up to check all the rear suspension out and found and removed two (this is where I wondered if he was going to say transit blocks) ... stones caught in the rear nearside spring.

I’m sure the noise was coming from the offside and I doubt a couple of stones would make it, but we’ll see when I collect it later. Final kick in the teeth was that stone removal does not appear to be covered by the warranty, so I’ve got a £50 bill waiting for me. He has kept the stones though, so I’ve got something to show for my money.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello, sorry to resurrect this thread, I read through all the posts and just wanted to check something.

I have a December 2017 L&K with DCC.

I have two videos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Ve2jeCHfVVpykGK8

with comments on when I can hear a noise. It's more of "clunk" than a rattle.

I think it's coming from the front, but it could be the rear.

Is this the same noise that  people are reporting here or could it be another problem or is it "just normal"?

Thanks.

That sounds exactly like the noise I was left with after I had the rear suspension fix. The rear noise (for me) was more like a constant clunckety, clunkety  sound that very clearly came from the rear of the car. It was not typically affected by speed bumps, more just any slightly uneven road service.

After I had that fixed (nice work Skoda, not complaints), I have been left with exactly the same noise I hear in your videos. I also 'think' it comes from the front of the car and it varies day to day. It's definitely annoying and sometimes is severe enough that I almost feel it as a vibration through the floor.

I think it is pretty widely discussed elsewhere:

There seems to be some consensus that it is the ARB bushes.

I'm yet to find the time to investigate myself but it seems possible. I had the same problem on my mki octavia VRS.

Cheers iperry

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

Hello, sorry to resurrect this thread, I read through all the posts and just wanted to check something.

Is this the same noise that  people are reporting here or could it be another problem or is it "just normal"?

Thanks.

For Skoda car owners it is "normal" to visit dealer's or several dealers' service/s at least once per month... So my advice visit dealer to solve this!

Edited by Deerjohn
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

Thanks.

Check this out

TPI_1 DCC Garensviras bukses.jpg

TPI_2.jpg

TPI_2 Skaidrojums.jpg

2 hours ago, Deerjohn said:

For Skoda car owners it is "normal" to visit dealer's or several dealers' service/s at least once per month... So my advice visit dealer to solve this!

If you changed that to some Skoda car owners I think it would be more accurate

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, facet edge said:

If you changed that to some Skoda car owners I think it would be more accurate

I would definetly changed "some" to "all" as far as this is unfortunatelly Skoda factory attitude to ALL Skoda car buyers by producing defective products! This is my strong opinion from my and other owners' very, very bad experience being the owners and drivers of the car from this brand and I will not agree to any other view!(exclamation mark)

Hate Skoda (3).png

Edited by Deerjohn

1 hour ago, Deerjohn said:

I would definetly changed "some" to "all" as far as this is unfortunatelly Skoda factory attitude to ALL Skoda car buyers by producing defective products! This is my strong opinion from my and other owners' very, very bad experience being the owners and drivers of the car from this brand and I will not agree to any other view!(exclamation mark)

Hate Skoda (3).png

Well I will go on record to say that I'm a satisfied customer. You may not agree but that doesn't make you right.

• Like 1

Ta Deerjohn for the useful pic and technical bulletin details.

This is exactly the work I had done on our car. We had the trailing arm bush (item 3 in the pic) replaced and this made a huge difference. Previously we'd had a fairly constant clunking from the rear of the car. Now, we're just left with a noise similar to the one in ChaybobbTidbit's videos. Only really occurs when we hit a large speedbump  type thing and seems to come from the front.

For what it's worth, couple of niggles with the car but still the best we've had.

Cheers,

iperry

On 11/01/2019 at 12:11, iperry said:

That sounds exactly like the noise I was left with after I had the rear suspension fix. The rear noise (for me) was more like a constant clunckety, clunkety  sound that very clearly came from the rear of the car. It was not typically affected by speed bumps, more just any slightly uneven road service.

After I had that fixed (nice work Skoda, not complaints), I have been left with exactly the same noise I hear in your videos. I also 'think' it comes from the front of the car and it varies day to day. It's definitely annoying and sometimes is severe enough that I almost feel it as a vibration through the floor.

I think it is pretty widely discussed elsewhere:

There seems to be some consensus that it is the ARB bushes.

I'm yet to find the time to investigate myself but it seems possible. I had the same problem on my mki octavia VRS.

Cheers iperry

How the time flies ! I nearly took that video down the other day..... My car does not have DCC. I’ve had ‘The Fix’ done twice now. It seems to last almost exactly a year and around 8k miles before it returns.

Fully expect a third trip in the summer when I’ll update the thread and push for a more permanent fix. My cars 39 months old and I have a 5 year warranty.