New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

Good luck with the car search Keith. The Jag would be just too big for me and the misses, they do luck nice just the whole residuals issues with bigger cars I would struggle with.

Are modern Jags showing a bit more resilience?

How do the 3 year figures stack compared to the R?

Ben,

Just a look see ,very early days yet. Justify and convince first. It will take some doing I can assure you. But I do like it.

Cautious Engineers approach.

Might be an initial look see and test in one of these in the coming weeks.

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/xe/xe-models/xe-s.html

Checkout it out to see if I can justify it above the R.

Then do the numbers and options game.

Niiiice! XE-S is definitely the one to get. 6-pot and RWD? Should be fun. Are you looking at a cash purchase or PCP this time around?

Price still seems a little high though to me but assuming you can get a few K off? It's in RS3 territory and when specced up probably knocking on the door of M3 money so will need to be good....

You'd be surprised just how 'snug' they are inside then! Not a lot of backseat space if the front passengers are even moderately tall.

Very true, I can't sit behind myself in an XE, & I can in SWMBO's Octy mk 2.

As for the boot............

I think that the current Golf has more useable room inside than the XE.

DC

• Like 1

You'd be surprised just how 'snug' they are inside then! Not a lot of backseat space if the front passengers are even moderately tall.

John,

Have you signed up for the gym and weigh****cher with your annual New Year Premium!lol

Good to hear you have an active backseat. Those were the days.lol

Golf Dynaudio is better than the MK3 Octavia canton etc...........also their sub is a small box in the side of the boot & blows under the boot floor, not very effective compared to having the sub in the spare in the well..........

I'm glad you said that as the canton is poor compared to A3 so hopefully the VW system will be as good

So acquired mine in August 2014,now 17000miles of reasonably brisk motoring, so other than the  10000 mile service, I have just replaced my first components.

Conti 2 fronts at legal / illegal limit on front 17 k ,rears still 2mm above level, so not unhappy with that, considering the performance and use. Replaced with the same today.

Any updates that can be shared here from the VW, Audi & Seat Forums.?

Were there many 2.0 l 300ps Mk7 Golf R, Audi S3 or Seat Cupra 280 turbos that went pop and what did VW do as far as Upgrades 

or was it just a Intenet myth about a few poorly manufactured early turbos?

?

Is it something more than just the usual concerns that someone looking at a used hot hatch buyer needs to consider, 

and was it Turbos from a certain build date that you might need to avoid or be sure you have a Manufacturers Warranty 

and a Manufacturers Extended Warranty to have some piece of mind with?

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Any updates that can be shared here from the VW, Audi & Seat Forums.?

Were there many 2.0 l 300ps Mk7 Golf R, Audi S3 or Seat Cupra 280 turbos that went pop and what did VW do as far as Upgrades 

or was it just a Intenet myth about a few poorly manufactured early turbos?

?

Is it something more than just the usual concerns that someone looking at a used hot hatch buyer needs to consider, 

and was it Turbos from a certain build date that you might need to avoid or be sure you have a Manufacturers Warranty 

and a Manufacturers Extended Warranty to have some piece of mind with?

Not to my knowledge George. Perhaps you could check for any updates - only recall one mention by stever750

http://golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10127&page=2

Cheers, 

i will go on much more of a Forum / Google search on them but i think i have the answer.

It is a Seat Leon Cupra i want and a Estate Really but it will need to be a Dealer Warranty and then a Seat / VW extended one as it is a minefield finding Seat's that were not Remapped or Seat Media cars that they call Management and have already been treated like it will get by me.

Just need to wait and see next month how desperate Seat Dealers (Seat UK) are to shift old or not so old stock.

http://golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10127&page=2

Cheers, 

i will go on much more of a Forum / Google search on them but i think i have the answer.

It is a Seat Leon Cupra i want and a Estate Really but it will need to be a Dealer Warranty and then a Seat / VW extended one as it is a minefield finding Seat's that were not Remapped or Seat Media cars that they call Management and have already been treated like it will get by me.

Just need to wait and see next month how desperate Seat Dealers (Seat UK) are to shift old or not so old stock.

Best of luck with your purchase George. See you are playing around with Fabia MK2 Monte enjoy. Hope the Fabia vRS continues to run well, as we haven't corresponded for sometime, since your hacking incident 2015.

All the best.

• Like 1

Sorry OT but then they are shared components.

I found the original Mk7 R, S3, Leon Cupra Turbo Failure thread that was on here when looking & this.

http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=416068

The attached seems to be "old fish and chip news" George relating a specific batch of Turbos me thinks

Plus nutters taking their Rs to various stages of tune with the standard turbo?

" We've found reports spread across SEAT, Volkswagen and Audi forums which show the brand new Golf R, Leon Cupra and S3 have developed this. Most reports we've been able to find are about the Audi S3, which is probably because the S3 has more variants and went on sale earlier than the Golf R.

All three models come with a 2-liter TSI/TFSI making either 280 PS or 300 PS (engine code CJXB, CJXC). The part at fault has the code "06K 145 702 N" and from what we gather is made by IHI Turbo (formerly known as Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries).

All three cars are based on the same platform, the MQB, which means the mounting points for their engines are the same and so is the distance between the firewall and front axle. However, there are some differences in the powertrain. Both the Golf R (Type 5G), and the S3 (8V) have all-whee drive, while the Leon has front-wheel drive and 20 PS less.

According to one of our sources, the problem lies with a small batch of turbochargers that were built some time this spring (April and May), but a few owners have been reporting breakdown on the 2013 S3. The problem is repeatedly being traced back to the manifold sealing surface. This could be why Audi is rumored to fit a brand new turbo design on 2015 model year S3 and pushed back the launch of the TTS compared to the normal TT coupe.

❐ Check out the 2014 Audi S3, Golf R and Leon Cupra Developing Turbo Problems photo gallery

share:

 share

 share

 tweet

 pin

 tumblr

UP NEXT: First BMW F16 X6 Rolls Off the Assembly Lines in South Carolina

filed under: Audi S3 Volkswagen Golf R SEAT Leon CUPRA Hot Hatch

2014 Audi S3, Golf R and Leon Cupra Developing Turbo Problems - photo gallery

2014 Audi S3

2014 Audi S3, Golf R and Leon Cupra Developing Turbo Problems

2014 SEAT Leon Cupra

2015 Golf R

Audi S3 engine

SEAT Leon Cupra 280 Engine

2014 Golf R engine

⌙ tell us what you think

Voice your opinion...

post comment 

25,472 hits

comments written so far

On 5 August 2014 at 03:19 UTC, paul said:

what your sources? i want a link to believe you

On 21 August 2014 at 18:57 UTC, BDU.112 said:

This is not at all surprising Volkswagen are gone down hill very badly lately hearing nothing but endless faults with the current mk7 golf so much for German build quality.

On 29 August 2014 at 10:17 UTC, Carmag said:

turbo problems with older volkswagens is all to common even in this day and age they still cant get things right i would never buy one.

On 29 August 2014 at 10:19 UTC, Andy said:

Typical VAG

On 4 October 2014 at 18:02 UTC, dean said:

VW = complete and utter rubbish

On 15 October 2014 at 19:28 UTC, vag user said:

I have been a bag consumer since 1998 and turbo engines since 2003 and never had any problem, where´s the oficial recall?? and if someone think vag is rubbish, its because u can't afford, sorry.

On 16 October 2014 at 21:26 UTC, ALWAYS VW... said:

I don't know where you guys got those informations from. There is nothing on the internet, or anywhere else, indicating any problems with MK7 Golf R. Show me the sources that indicate problems with turbo engines or any recall.

On 17 October 2014 at 03:22 UTC, Mihnea Radu said:

I don't understand why you can't just take our word for it and ask your dealership if there's a problem with your car. But since we understand your concern about the very expensive car you've just bough, here are a couple of forums that say the same thing we did. One of them quotes us as the original story and many owners talk about their problems:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-turbo-issues-reported.224078/

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=406147&page=2

On 11 November 2014 at 19:24 UTC, siu_loong_bao said:

My 2014 7R died yesterday on the freeway. Loss of power/clinging noise/white plumes of smoke - all within 15 seconds. Awaiting what the VW Dealer will do about it. I am in Australia with a Build Date Jan 2014 and Compliance Date Apr 2014. It is unmodified, DSG, and has done 6,000kms since new purchase in July 2014.

On 29 November 2014 at 04:43 UTC, Darryl said:

Quality and reliable machines are the product of pleasing the engineers, not the consumers. If car manufacturers want longevity and not just immediate profits, they have to think hard about their philosophy.

On 26 December 2014 at 09:30 UTC, Pete said:

Driving home form the airport today in my 7000km, two year old Scrorcco R and all of a sudden, screeching noise, total loss of power, no warning lights or smoke, and it's all over. Tow truck called, waiting with baited breath. This car is driven once or twice a month, stock standard and serviced by the book. Any thoughts on what this might be?

On 9 January 2015 at 15:46 UTC, Ronco said:

My S3 2014 (4.000 Kms) died last dec 29th. Suddenly it lost all power, and didn´t pass 4K RPM, some strange noice and uneven runing when I stoped by a traffic light so I decided to go straigh to Audi Service and there it never started again. Las monday they reported to me the Turbo axis was broken and probably some metal pieces went to the motor so the engine has to be replaced by a new one by warranty. The strange thing is that when i asked for a written report they informed it was a failure of the HPFP that caused the fuel mixed with the oil loosing lubrication and coolant properties which damaged the engine. I am really mad because I bought the car last June and asked for a replacement of the car for a new one and today they declined. Now I will have to sue them because a don´t want a US$53K car with a new engine, I want a new car which is the correct thing to do by Audi in cases like this. Tha car is brand new (7 months)

On 27 April 2015 at 22:11 UTC, Grant said:

My 2014 Golf R just blew its turbo while cruising using ACC - 6000 km on the dial. Still in the shop. VW gave me an old Nissan Tiida as replacement...Not happy.

more on this topic

AUDI car reviews

2014 Audi S3, Golf R and Leon Cupra Developing Turbo Problems "

Owners Reporting Volkswagen Passat TDI Turbo Failures and Problems

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Well, it finally happened.

Sleeping off my night shift, about 1pm I was woken with loud banging. Didn't think much of it as the neighbours are having a garage built. 

Get's up to go to the toilet and looked out the window, no workmen in sight. Next thing, my bedroom door opened, I shouted and the ****ers ran into a spare bedroom, chased em but couldn't get in as one of them was holding the handle up. 

Once I realised there was more than one scumbag I scarpered back to my room and called the police. 

All done in a bit of a hurry and a total shock. 

Anyway, they jumped out of an upstairs window onto a hard surface so I have no idea how they didn't break a leg.

House had been turned upside down, every drawer gone through looking for keys and worst of all, mud on the new carpets!

The CSI team have not long left and the glazier has just turned up so once he's gone I can do a proper check to see what else is missing.

Luckily/unluckily I always keep the keys within my reach and the spare isn't even on site. 

Might just leave the keys where they can take them and go next time. 

Entrance

IMG_0842.jpg

Exit

IMG_0852.jpg

Sleeping off my night shift, about 1pm I was woken with loud banging. Didn't think much of it as the neighbours are having a garage built.

Get's up to go to the toilet and looked out the window, no workmen in sight. Next thing, my bedroom door opened, I shouted and the ****ers ran into a spare bedroom, chased em but couldn't get in as one of them was holding the handle up.

Once I realised there was more than one scumbag I scarpered back to my room and called the police.

All done in a bit of a hurry and a total shock.

Anyway, they jumped out of an upstairs window onto a hard surface so I have no idea how they didn't break a leg.

House had been turned upside down, every drawer gone through looking for keys and worst of all, mud on the new carpets!

The CSI team have not long left and the glazier has just turned up so once he's gone I can do a proper check to see what else is missing.

Luckily/unluckily I always keep the keys within my reach and the spare isn't even on site.

Entrance

IMG_0842.jpg

Exit

IMG_0852.jpg

Really bad news cav,thank goodness you are okay.

Christ all mighty!..........I think use the garage to keep the car in...............how many people state on the insurance that their car is garaged when it is parked on the driveway in full view for potential thieves to view....I bet the insurance lot will start to refuse to pay out in these cases...............as not kept as per the insurance..............

Just playing devils advocate............... :devil:

On a plus side if they did that to me...................I have way too many dangerous items of equipment from my sports to hand..............baseball bats, ice axes........all in various wardrobes...........acupuncture anyone?...............

Christ all mighty!..........I think use the garage to keep the car in...............how many people state on the insurance that their car is garaged when it is parked on the driveway in full view for potential thieves to view....I bet the insurance lot will start to refuse to pay out in these cases...............as not kept as per the insurance..............

Just playing devils advocate............... :devil:

On a plus side if they did that to me...................I have way too many dangerous items of equipment from my sports to hand..............baseball bats, ice axes........all in various wardrobes...........acupuncture anyone?...............

i dare say they'd only be interested in the R anyway tbh. 

Regarding parking on the drive and stating its in a garage, if they read the small print it might have a clause in it about parking the vehicle within a certain distance of the house when not in the garage. Theres something mentioned on my bike insurance, cant remember the exact term though. Something that loses me money if its nicked anyway. 

Cav, sorry to hear about your experience. Sometimes leaving the keys near the door is the best bet, especially if theirs family in the house. Unless you're feeling brave and fancy a fight that is.. 

• Like 1

i dare say they'd only be interested in the R anyway tbh. 

I do know that mine is NOT an "R" & therefore thankfully LESS nickable..................... :D

However as I was considering buying an "R" estate before I got mine (knew they were going to make it due to MQB platform & seen test mules) I am glad in some respects that I did not get one (mainly because only DSG, I want manual, & not made in Tungsten silver either)................ :nerd:

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear that!! I had similar happen to me few months back. Tried to smash in front door for keys to S3. Horrible event and one that still has me on edge. 3 guys used slab.

Door held and they gave up.

Thoughts with you not a nice time

Ps I leave my car keys downstairs. Not visible from doors or windows but in sight should they break in

Edited by kenny

I also think in my case I have the car in the garage all the time unless washing it, & the driveway has manual big gates.............so even IF I had a fancy car & IF they knew some how then not exactly a quick getaway.........

Won't be long before the GTD/GTI/R are seen as the old cossie in the eyes of the insurance industry.............

Bloody shame as it's a flipping good car.................

Edited by fabdavrav