New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

13 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

That wa 13+ minutes of my life wasted.

Rich boys & their toys...........

DC

David,

Appreciate your underlying sentiment.

That being said ,  it was good to hear and see that a spoilt boy was not just  enthusiastic about the Supercar "owners" fraternity, normally the flag wavers on YouTube ( a lot based in London UK)but his undoubted feelings towards a car more affordable to the "lesser high flying classes" around the world.

So what's this all about - Extreme.

Great news ,been waiting for the R400 for 2 years. Could have been before the Focus RS mk3 but Diesel gate balls that up.

Now get it into production NOW ! 

http://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/21153/volkswagen-r-to-diversify-and-push-next-gen-models-to-the-extreme

VW Golf R Estate v Mercedes  C63 AMG Estate

Edited by vrskeith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like mine but with a few tweaks.

Worth considering or do I wait for the R400 MK8?

Edited by vrskeith

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, vrskeith said:

Good on you Queen B

I don't usually mind her but immediately gave up when she mentioned the 'R-Line body kit' and the 18" alloys. A double faux pas.

Was there any more blunders after 1:45?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In some respects current Rmk7.5 to Rmk7, ten step forward ten steps backwards - emission control WLTP changes.

VW now rationalising new orders for Rmk7.5 to 5Dr & DSG only . 

Hurry up VW with the R400 mk8 ,hopefully with manual option. 

vw_8895_golf-r-11.jpg?itok=XXIiDfgx

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/volkswagen-golf-r-power-drops-296bhp-amid-wltp-changes

Edited by vrskeith

My mate who swapped his M135i (5yrs ownership) for an R estate (1yrs ownership) is now swapping it for the new M40 (X3 with the 3lt petrol).....didn't like the ride in the "R" said it was too hard on the rough roads where he lives, & yes no shipping pucks & standard 18" alloys...I did suggest 17" & different tyres....but I knew he was looking for any excuses to ditch it to get a BMW again..he only tried the R to say he tried it & to reject it....IMHO.....& funny enough the M135i with big alloys had no problems with ride quality where he lives??...yeah right?...

Some people have to have the badge......& all cars on the never never...as that's a jump from £32k to £51K...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

My mate who swapped his M135i (5yrs ownership) for an R estate (1yrs ownership) is now swapping it for the new M40 (X3 with the 3lt petrol).....didn't like the ride in the "R" said it was too hard on the rough roads where he lives, & yes no shipping pucks & standard 18" alloys...I did suggest 17" & different tyres....but I knew he was looking for any excuses to ditch it to get a BMW again..he only tried the R to say he tried it & to reject it....IMHO.....& funny enough the M135i with big alloys had no problems with ride quality where he lives??...yeah right?...

Some people have to have the badge......& all cars on the never never...as that's a jump from £32k to £51K...

Odd. Usually bmw’s with low profile tyres are rough :D 

1 hour ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Odd. Usually bmw’s with low profile tyres are rough :D 

Exactly..mind you his first "complaint" about the "R" when he bought it was the sound as "its not a 3lt straight six"....

No **** Sherlock....but its just as fast & cheaper on the insurance, not in the top 10 for stolen UK cars (that's BMW) & you get better MPG.......mind you the new M40 will eat tyres & the fronts & rears are different sizes/widths....& the rears are huge on 20" rims (standard).....mind you I'll just keep winding him up with my car & the MPG I can get..& he knows how I drive (heavy right foot).....:D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Exactly..mind you his first "complaint" about the "R" when he bought it was the sound as "its not a 3lt straight six"....

No **** Sherlock....but its just as fast & cheaper on the insurance, not in the top 10 for stolen UK cars (that's BMW) & you get better MPG.......mind you the new M40 will eat tyres & the fronts & rears are different sizes/widths....& the rears are huge on 20" rims (standard).....mind you I'll just keep winding him up with my car & the MPG I can get..& he knows how I drive (heavy right foot).....:D

he does have a point. a 2.0 IL4 is not a 3lt straight six. But surely he knew that before he bought it aswel. 

Yeah but isnt yours 140hp? gonna be better on fuel isnt it aha. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

26 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

he does have a point. a 2.0 IL4 is not a 3lt straight six. But surely he knew that before he bought it aswel. 

Yeah but isnt yours 140hp? gonna be better on fuel isnt it aha. 

140PS...was...167PS & 267 NM....& a bit more....& outright power ain't all on the twisty back roads...the fastest vehicle down here are the delivery drivers & those vans aren't that high power....its all about driver skill....what's the point in loads of power which is only useful on a dead straight...far better to have a light weight nose, 50/50 weight distribution & good handling....& my car has about the best weight distribution of all MK7 Golf versions....as hatch is more nose heavy.....R estate handles better than the R hatch anyway...

I recon if he could he'd take the 3lt engine to bed.......I'd far rather have a good old AM V8 stretched to 7.2lts.....if your going to drink fuel might as well do it properly..like a dipsomaniac...

1 minute ago, fabdavrav said:

140PS...was...167PS & 267 NM....& a bit more....& outright power ain't all on the twisty back roads...the fastest vehicle down here are the delivery drivers & those vans aren't that high power....its all about driver skill....what's the point in loads of power which is only useful on a dead straight...far better to have a light weight nose, 50/50 weight distribution & good handling....& my car has about the best weight distribution of all MK7 Golf versions....as hatch is more nose heavy.....R estate handles better than the R hatch anyway...

I recon if he could he'd take the 3lt engine to bed.......I'd far rather have a good old AM V8 stretched to 7.2lts.....if your going to drink fuel might as well do it properly..like a dipsomaniac...

however you justify if it, its not really the point. A 140bhp 1.4 isnt going to use as much fuel as a 3l IL6.. nore is it as fast. He obv likes em, to keep buying em. 

Light nose cars are good cos they do change direction well but you do miss the meatiness of a proper size engine. Best mates got a 550bhp 3.8 n its like a hurricane howling past everything at full chat, look behind n theres just a cloud of dust.  It's big, but its well worth the trade off. Turbo'd engines are the way to go, for weight and power. 

13 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

however you justify if it, its not really the point. A 140bhp 1.4 isnt going to use as much fuel as a 3l IL6.. nore is it as fast. He obv likes em, to keep buying em. 

Light nose cars are good cos they do change direction well but you do miss the meatiness of a proper size engine. Best mates got a 550bhp 3.8 n its like a hurricane howling past everything at full chat, look behind n theres just a cloud of dust.  It's big, but its well worth the trade off. Turbo'd engines are the way to go, for weight and power. 

Its obvious that given the same driver a more powerful car is faster end to end......up to a point...& then traction on all 4 wheels is critical & so is weight distribution.....unfortunately I see a lot of drivers with big fancy powerful cars with no idea how to control anything more complex than a sponge....driver skill in getting the most from the car & road is far better than a big motor & no skill.......

Funny that the new M40 is AWD with RWD bias....& I bet the weight swing through the corners will be way worse than the "R" due to heavier car & high roll centre...

In Fact I still think the best car he had for point to point on the back roads was a tuned Scooby P1.....& that has way less power than the BMW's....& rubbish build quality....but true road going rally car...

10 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Its obvious that given the same driver a more powerful car is faster end to end......up to a point...& then traction on all 4 wheels is critical & so is weight distribution.....unfortunately I see a lot of drivers with big fancy powerful cars with no idea how to control anything more complex than a sponge....driver skill in getting the most from the car & road is far better than a big motor & no skill.......

Funny that the new M40 is AWD with RWD bias....& I bet the weight swing through the corners will be way worse than the "R" due to heavier car & high roll centre...

In Fact I still think the best car he had for point to point on the back roads was a tuned Scooby P1.....& that has way less power than the BMW's....& rubbish build quality....but true road going rally car...

It's been the same with bikes for years mate. People buying R1's will have rings run around them by a 250 on a bendy road. It is mainly about skill. 

RWD bias 4WD is always more fun. Heldex is abit **** imo and takes some provoking into getting sideways like it should in some cars and not just lighting up the front. RWD bias is fun from the start. 

Should see how much the GTR uses the front wheels. Literally just when the backs sideways, it will use the fronts to pull it through. Proper interesting to watch on the display, but quite difficult at 100+ sideways. :D:D 

Just now, fabiamk2SE said:

It's been the same with bikes for years mate. People buying R1's will have rings run around them by a 250 on a bendy road. It is mainly about skill. 

RWD bias 4WD is always more fun. Heldex is abit **** imo and takes some provoking into getting sideways like it should in some cars and not just lighting up the front. RWD bias is fun from the start. 

Should see how much the GTR uses the front wheels. Literally just when the backs sideways, it will use the fronts to pull it through. Proper interesting to watch on the display, but quite difficult at 100+ sideways. :D:D 

Mordern haldex is fine......I have driven a MK4 R32 down a twisty section of my local back road (A939 the best drivers road in UK).......this was another mates car & he couldn't figure out why the haldex wasn't kicking in.....then I showed him....lower gear & drive at the corner faster than you think...then the haldex activates & lock up.....laggy as hell those where......just the speeds thought the corners was interesting.....defo above the 60mph limit....in 3rd gear & that V6 sound....

12 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

outright power ain't all on the twisty back roads...t

That's so true.

On a twisty road in Norfolk (on the way to where I used to work) I could outpace a well known sports car in my (slightly tuned) Renault 5 GT Turbo - which upset quite a few people...

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

That's so true.

On a twisty road in Norfolk (on the way to where I used to work) I could outpace a well known sports car in my (slightly tuned) Renault 5 GT Turbo - which upset quite a few people...

You should have seen the number of people I regularly upset in my 14yr old MK1 Fabia.(1.4lt 100bhp..cough..125ish ).....especially when they were following me & saw my approach & no brakes through a corner & them trying to follow my lead....usually they ended up on the opposite side of the road & full lock....haha...

Like I been saying for many years driver skill...& good weight balance...My Golf estate is the best weight balance of all (& I've driven a few MK7).....nice light nose, multilink rear, the extra weight of the estate to keep the rear down (compared to hatch)...no rear swing...infact it almost rear steers...& its very chuckable turn to turn with hardly any over roll....& 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears are fantastic...maxing out in 3rd is way over the sped limits anyway so why need more power?...most the power low down in powerfull engines is limited as the tyres can't cope so what's the point??...

That's why I was annoyed VW didn't do the estate in Manual gearbox (hatch only)...as the "R" estate is better balanced than the Hatch IMHO & its as fast a car that you need for these road..infact anything more powerful is a waste as you can't get anywhere near the performance envelope edge unless on a racetrack......maybe on the occasional straight section....but the twistyies & the more powerful cars are a waste as the extra nose weight hampers things...& you are fighting the control systems to get the max  power down...absolute waste IMHO...

One of my mates I had when I was learning to drive 24yrs ago was a rally test driver for various companies ..basically he would fly down every weekend to their test tracks & drive the rally cars to help develop the suspension etc...before they handed the cars for the final set ups to the main drivers...worked for Mitsubishi, Peugeot, ford etc...He taught me shed loads about driving, etc...infact he had a "A" plate Nova GSI? white with those three spoke alloys..looked slightly lower than standard...yeah right...fully balanced, blueprinted, ported, gasflowed engine...full group N spec brakes & suspension plus other stuff....Drove me down south Deeside road, very twisty...& kept to his side of road...80mph plus & cornering was unreal...almost as if it was a straight ...loads of gearchanges etc...full rally style...& did a full running commently on what the car was doing etc all the time as per advanced police drivers in their test.......right gear for that section or road & speed....& thats how I drive....full power/control & usually one or two gears lower than most other people......as my other friends usually comment....but then the way they drive it always feels as if the car is "floating/drifting" out of control around the corners as too high a gear & the car is not being driven around...& that's why short shift full metal gearlinkage on my MK7 (swapped from plastic)..way better feel..& that's also why 2kg (each) lighter alloy wheels than factory spec...better handling...

PS I don't do stupid over the limit as not worth it..max 10% indicated...just I do the twistys way faster than most people can cope with.& stick to my side of road..(I don't cut corners)..& all in low powered 1.4lt....I think I have more fun in my lower powered car than quite a few people in their higher powered cars as I can get nearer the performance edge & really drive the car....."R" still the max you need over on these roads & would still get if VAG did manual gearbox on estate...

• Like 1