New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

On 17/08/2019 at 10:21, shyVRS245 said:

She summed it up nicely the GTi is better than the Golf R. Take a Golf GTi PP model give it an extra 94bhp and in -gear acceleration is astounding, even Caterham owners are surprised.:D

Exactly.:blush

But I like boring...... (sorry, we both like boring, etc.) we don't want excitement anymore, just nippy reliable cars without surprises. 

Too much traffic & cameras to have fun, plus we're no longer in a hurry, except when trying to get a ferry on a Friday afternoon in Northern France...... 

• Like 2

People live on some parallel universe in the UK where somehow they think going 20 or 30 miles quicker than the NSL around a corner is exiting when if they get around at 80-90 mph others can as well with a bog standard car.

If they do it on their own side of the road then good and well.

As to the acceleration if it is there to overtake and you have 150ps, then 200 or 300ps is hardly more exciting, other than if you lose it or misjudge the vehicle coming the other way drivers need for excitement.

Probably Caterham drivers think Rodney Plonker.  Or Juliet Jester. 

She needs to travel more to where there are lots of blondes or any hair colour ladies or laddies in nippy motors.

Edited by Roottootemoot

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/09/2019 at 10:05, vrskeith said:

Stealth Standard look or tarted up , which is your preference

Keep it bog standard, looks-wise, any performance changes should be invisible. IMVHO, of course.

Sleeper cars are much more fun than show boats...... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Buyers of those with Full Main Dealer Service History or just Full Service History need to be checking what that FMDSH actually means has been done,

Has the dealers Recommendations on the scheduled oil & filter changes been followed, DSG, Haldex, Front Diff, Brake Fluid change, Spark Plugs etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or are people being unrealistic with second/third fourth hand values?

Bog standard (no leather etc) 14/64 plate mk7’s asking anywhere between £15-19k....are these cars selling at those crazy prices? 

I bought a 65 plate 4 door with full leather keyless etc manual from a main VW dealer with 21k miles back in March 2018 for £19,995 1 owner from new etc.  That was when there was on average 650 mk 7’s on Autotrader; now there over 1k mk7’s on there.

Has demand gone up creating these high resale values?

7 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

Bog standard (no leather etc) 14/64 plate mk7’s asking anywhere between £15-19k....are these cars selling at those crazy prices? 

I bought a 65 plate 4 door with full leather keyless etc manual from a main VW dealer with 21k miles back in March 2018 for £19,995 1 owner from new etc.  That was when there was on average 650 mk 7’s on Autotrader; now there over 1k mk7’s on there.

Demand has shot up on 2nd hand values.   

No 3 doors being made, and won't be going forward, prices have gone up on new ones and nobody really wants the post WLTP model

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jrw said:

Demand has shot up on 2nd hand values.   

No 3 doors being made, and won't be going forward, prices have gone up on new ones and nobody really wants the post WLTP model

New cars not being bought currently,hence good used car fetching higher prices. That being said plenty of opportunities to haggle a good deal on new and used. I am just getting a cracking used low mileage one owner R. mk 7.5 310 5dr great spec at less than £25k. Last of the manuals,only 12 used manuals on the VW used website currently.

6 hours ago, Defenderben said:

Ben,

Have you now sold it on,if so did you get good money for it.

23 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

New cars not being bought currently,hence good used car fetching higher prices. That being said plenty of opportunities to haggle a good deal on new and used. I am just getting a cracking used low mileage one owner R. mk 7.5 310 5dr great spec at less than £25k. Last of the manuals,only 12 used manuals on the VW used website currently.

Manuals aren't that popular due to the clutch being a major weak point on these models. 310 is the pre wltp model 👍

I reckon I could get £23-25k for my 16 reg 3dr oryx white with just 7k on clock. Fully specced apart from roof and leather. 

9 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Ben,

Have you now sold it on,if so did you get good money for it.

Yeah, I sold it earlier this year and got £18k which I thought was fair. They struggled to sell it and when it went the last price tag was around £19k.

looking at Autotrader they seem to have gone up a bit.

11 minutes ago, jrw said:

Manuals aren't that popular due to the clutch being a major weak point on these models. 310 is the pre wltp model 👍

I reckon I could get £23-25k for my 16 reg 3dr oryx white with just 7k on clock. Fully specced apart from roof and leather. 

I heard so much about weak clutches...I thrashed mine many times and never had any clutch issues.

• Like 1