£60 remap

brute

On Facebook, Dark slide automotive in Hartlepool are advertising remaps for £60, just wondered if anyone's ever used them before. Good or bad? And if there's anything I need to look out for.

And for just a basic map, is a pd160 intake needed

I would suggest that at that price you will get a generic map which will suit an unaltered car - comparable to the sort of thing you can buy from blacksmoke.co.uk for £45, provided you are happy to upload it to the ecu yourself of course. At a higher price you would expect  dyno runs before/after and a map optimised for your car and your preferences.

From experience you can't judge a remap by the price. But then I would say that

Only thing I would say is try it but also get VCDS lite and log group 11 afterwards to make sure your boost is controlled. In fact it best to log check group 11 before hand to make sure you don't have a boost issue.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

“Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but a blacksmoke.co.uk map would be 100x better than the crap that dark slide/monkey mapz puts on cars."

Are the blacksmoke maps any good? Thinking about one for my stock PD100 as Fabooka has stopped doing them

Edited by Gizmo68

Where are you based FollowingGhosts?

I can highly recommend Kris at Diesel Powered in the Leeds area. He does remote remapping as well as 'on the road' there and then remapping.

JRJG

It's not 2006, proper custom maps from reputable places only cost £150-£200 these days not like back in the day when you'd be looking at £350+

Unfortunately, where I am means there's a single remap place and they charge £250. If I had a VRS, that might be worth it, but it's a cheap estate that sits unused for half the year.

“Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but a blacksmoke.co.uk map would be 100x better than the crap that dark slide/monkey mapz puts on cars."

Are the blacksmoke maps any good? Thinking about one for my stock PD100 as Fabooka has stopped doing them

If you google blacksmoke, there are may good reviews out there but they will probably all be based on "seat of the pants" drives. You will have to add £15 for a lead to use as you upload the maps yourself. If you load the map into EDC15P (freeware) you can run a power curve, but unsure how true the output is - has anyone with a rolling road remap tried this to compare true vs calculated outputs??.

Edited by KeithCheetham

My colleague got himself a blackmoke on his mkIV golf. He applied the 180bhp to his ASZ (130).

Said that it was very progressive and pulled a bit better at the higher end instead of a sudden power boost.

He's offered to lend me his cable so I can put one on mine and I may well take him up on the offer.

Edited by bspman

My colleague got himself a blackmoke on his mkIV golf. He applied the 180bhp to his ASZ (130).

Said that it was very progressive and pulled a bit better at the higher end instead of a sudden power boost.

He's offered to lend me his cable so I can put one on mine and I may well take him up on the offer.

The imobiliser may be coded into you map, so car may not start if you tried to just load his map onto your car - someone may be able to clarify.

The imobiliser may be coded into you map, so car may not start if you tried to just load his map onto your car - someone may be able to clarify.

There are differences in immobilisers between the ECU versions (there are different ones for sale on the blacksmoke site) so, IIRC, pretty sure his wouldn't work as I think he has a different ECU to me anyway.

Buy hey.. the idea was to buy my own remap and just use his cable as I'd get some support if something went wrong anyway :)

There are differences in immobilisers between the ECU versions (there are different ones for sale on the blacksmoke site) so, IIRC, pretty sure his wouldn't work as I think he has a different ECU to me anyway.

Buy hey.. the idea was to buy my own remap and just use his cable as I'd get some support if something went wrong anyway :)

You mean you could blame your mates cable if it bricked your ECU.

You mean you could blame your mates cable if it bricked your ECU.

If your "mates" blame you for things that go wrong when they use your tools, maybe you should get some new friends?

If someone is helping me out, I don't blame them if things go wrong.

If your "mates" blame you for things that go wrong when they use your tools, maybe you should get some new friends?

If someone is helping me out, I don't blame them if things go wrong.

Why so serious?  :sun:

I dynod the blacksmoke remap back in the day when John (Fabooka) was starting out he used to have the graph up on his website, in all honesty it was a pretty good map apart from the slightly too much torque for stock clutch (310lb ft) which you might get away with. Power etc was fine, the only they did was decalibrate the injectors.

• Like 1

I dynod the blacksmoke remap back in the day when John (Fabooka) was starting out he used to have the graph up on his website, in all honesty it was a pretty good map apart from the slightly too much torque for stock clutch (310lb ft) which you might get away with. Power etc was fine, the only they did was decalibrate the injectors.

That's actually useful to know something more quantified about the maps and now makes me have 2nd thoughts about getting the blacksmoke remap. :thumbup: 

Edited by bspman