Headlights

Fbarry

SWMBO picked up her new Fabia III last week (1.2tsi 90 BHP Style) . Headlights are very weak. My dims on my Superb II Elegance are brighter than her full beam

Checked the level of the lights but have them set as good as I can.

any suggestions?

Manuf:s tends to mount standard longlife bulbs as OEM. Try a pair of high output bulbs like Philips X-treme vision (rated as the best).

Itsa shame Fabias cannot be delivered with HIDs!

I replaced the standard fitment dipped beams with these: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/lighting-accessories/upgrade-headlamp-bulbs/?48177022F&0&cc5_847^cc5_1053^ and the results are a noticeable improvement in performance and a whiter light that works better with the LED DRL's.

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier Phillips 130% bulbs are a fairly cheap upgrade though you need the hands of a midget to get access and fit! The wheel arch covers are designed to be hooked out with the tool you use to remove wheel nut covers (the manual advises this).

I always use the Powerbulbs website in the UK for a lot of my bulbs; always excellent service and invariably a 20% extra discount code floating around.

Regards Bob

• Like 1

Yeah I know about this metal hook. Was trying to do this with it, no success though... and I was pulling really hard.

Use a pair of snipe nosed pliers or mole grips. They did need quite a bit of force to remove.

It's worth having a close look at the bulb and the way it fits into the headlamp unit before attempting to re-fit, as fitting is done via feel and not sight!

The drivers side is slightly easier than the passenger side (at least on the TSi's) as the the battery restricts access on the passenger side.

Thankfully the cuts and bruises have now healed  :whew:

• Like 2

The drivers side is slightly easier than the passenger side (at least on the TSi's) as the the battery restricts access on the passenger side.

Aah, uhm, well.

I really dunno...

post-126620-0-42434400-1452773756_thumb.jpg

For the passenger side I lifted the battery out of the way and used a small block of wood to prop it up while still connected and it gave me a lot more room to fit the bulb.

Still involved a lot of swearing and scraped knuckles though.

Fitted some Phillips extreme vision bulbs here and there's a lot more light given.

For the passenger side I lifted the battery out of the way and used a small block of wood to prop it up while still connected and it gave me a lot more room to fit the bulb.

Still involved a lot of swearing and scraped knuckles though.

Fitted some Phillips extreme vision bulbs here and there's a lot more light given.

Projector or standard halogen lamps?

I fixed some 35W 5000K HIDs in summer last year and boy was is a long, tough process (but so very worth it!)

Instead of taking the bumper off (which is the only way to take the grill off and then get the light housings out fully), I just had to play a crazy amount of hand gymnastics to reach into the gaps. Battery should always come out IMO when doing these upgrades, which did help passenger side. But driver's side was an absolute ball ache!

I fixed some 35W 5000K HIDs in summer last year and boy was is a long, tough process (but so very worth it!)

Instead of taking the bumper off (which is the only way to take the grill off and then get the light housings out fully), I just had to play a crazy amount of hand gymnastics to reach into the gaps. Battery should always come out IMO when doing these upgrades, which did help passenger side. But driver's side was an absolute ball ache!

Will MOT accept the hids?

As hids are not included in any CoO or E-label for the Fab a fussy and accurate inspector could remark. I know it has been an issue here.

Dealer came back to me and said that they are "unable to advise deviation from Manufacturer recommended specification levels as the car is under Skoda Warranty"

Is this true - changing bulbs to brighter type has potential to void the manufacturer warranty?

Is there a minimum LUX value that is legal in Ireland as they are extremely dim and what I consider unsafe

Dealer came back to me and said that they are "unable to advise deviation from Manufacturer recommended specification levels as the car is under Skoda Warranty"

Is this true - changing bulbs to brighter type has potential to void the manufacturer warranty?

Is there a minimum LUX value that is legal in Ireland as they are extremely dim and what I consider unsafe

Depends what you mean by deviation............I can't imagine another H7 bulb e.g. Phillips Extreme being such, it's still an H7. Your bulb could blow at any time and you'd have to replace it with an H7 be that a Phillips, Osram or any other make. However if you are talking about retro fitting HID's or using an LED H7 well that's a different matter...........

Even so they could ony extricate themselves from a warranty claim if it was directly related to non-Skoda parts that had been fitted.

Regards Bob

• Like 1

Put some decent bulbs in yourself.

Then if anything does go wrong (which it wont, and if it does it wont be related to the bulbs) put the originals back in before you take it to the dealers for warranty work.

I bought a brand new car 3 levels above base and it does not habe adequate lightining, Sorry but i have no intention of fixing a dangerous car myself. I have dug out the Statute on headlamps and intend on contacting delaer tomorrow and if no joy going to Skoda Ireland and giving them a chance to sort out before I contact relevant authorities to have the car checked.

I am sure Skoda do not want the threat of recall forced upon them if it is proven that the headlamps are not legal.

• Like 1

I bought a brand new car 3 levels above base and it does not habe adequate lightining, Sorry but i have no intention of fixing a dangerous car myself. I have dug out the Statute on headlamps and intend on contacting delaer tomorrow and if no joy going to Skoda Ireland and giving them a chance to sort out before I contact relevant authorities to have the car checked.

I am sure Skoda do not want the threat of recall forced upon them if it is proven that the headlamps are not legal.

Seems like you've made up your mind then :D.

I'd think that you Skoda importer will be able to take the heat of this issue if it gets to government level - a bit of corporate entertainment anyone?

• 2 months later...

Update -

So I started off with contacting the Road Safety Authority of Ireland to complain how bad the lights were and that it was a road safety issue - They didn't want to now and told me to contact the National Standards Authority Ireland (NSAI) who type approve cars for Irish roads. the NSAI said that the type rating on the Fabia was a European type and they don't test them to adhere specifically to Irish road legislation.

Next stop was An Garda Siochana (Irish Police) as I was there getting a passport renewed for my son and had taken a video while SWMBO was driving one dark night. I showed the video to the Gardaí and they were flabbergasted as to how poor the lighting was and said it was a civil matter but took details in case of an accident when it would become a criminal matter.

So I decided to do some research and contacted a motoring journalist who reviewed the particular model of car I purchased, who then contacted Skoda to see if he could shed some light on it.

a few days later I got a phone call from Skoda Customer Service and they arranged with the dealership for the car to be brought to the garage where a Skoda Technician took a look. He found that the light beam was pointing up and out as opposed to down and centre so they made adjustments and the dealer principal drove it over the weekend to make sure all as right.

They dropped it to me yesterday and I can confirm that the lights now are as they should be - So good result in the end without voiding warranty !!

• Like 1