Superb II Detachable Tow Bar recommendations

I did have to change some coding with VCDS to get the Columbus to show when the tow bar wiring is connected and to turn off the rear parking sensors. Also the ESP is changed to know a trailer is fitted when plugged in.

If you fit a universal kit, non of these changes will be enhanced.

Just a few ticks req.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3T51704x4 said:

I did have to change some coding with VCDS to get the Columbus to show when the tow bar wiring is connected and to turn off the rear parking sensors. Also the ESP is changed to know a trailer is fitted when plugged in.

If you fit a universal kit, non of these changes will be enhanced.

Just a few ticks req.

Ok, I will order that one. What cable or software is required ? something which I can get easy from ebay ? I have got basic BT dongle and some android app but I recon that it need something more advance ?

14 minutes ago, mushroomnr said:

Thanks for that. Will that kit required any software coding or just plug and play (and cut few wires etc )  ?

One other thing to check before you order is whether or not your car has factory towbar wiring prep. The option code for it will be printed on the options label inside the cover of the service manual (there's also a copy of the label in the spare wheel well). Go to http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx and enter the codes printed on the label to see if you have towbar prep or not. If you do, you need a different wiring kit.

• Like 1

Good shout Chimaera, can you remember the PR code for with and without?

Also could you see if you can see the other kit from Westfalia, may save mushroomnr some time.

If not, I will check ETKA later, they had something on there for with and without prep.

Was a few years ago I did mine.

Edited by 3T51704x4

PR codes are 1D0 for no factory prep and 1D1 for factory prep. I'm struggling to dig up much information on the wiring kits from ETKA, but it looks like the OE part number for the wiring kit for cars with factory prep is EEA800002EL. Westfalia's UK website doesn't show an option for this from what I can see.

34 minutes ago, chimaera said:

One other thing to check before you order is whether or not your car has factory towbar wiring prep. The option code for it will be printed on the options label inside the cover of the service manual (there's also a copy of the label in the spare wheel well). Go to http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx and enter the codes printed on the label to see if you have towbar prep or not. If you do, you need a different wiring kit.

It comes back with below: 

1D0 = Without trailer hitch

so I understand that I can go with basic wiring kit  ? Or should I get dedicated one and them reprogram it ?

4 minutes ago, mushroomnr said:

It comes back with below: 

1D0 = Without trailer hitch

so I understand that I can go with basic wiring kit  ? Or should I get dedicated one and them reprogram it ?

Factory towing prep means that a certain amount of the cabling for towing electrics would be preinstalled at the factory, so you would have less work to do to install the electrics (and you would use a different kit). Either option is still best with dedicated/OEM wiring as it integrates better into the vehicle's other systems and it is a cleaner install. The Westfalia kit linked a few posts back is a good option if you don't want to get the Skoda version.

1 hour ago, chimaera said:

Factory towing prep means that a certain amount of the cabling for towing electrics would be preinstalled at the factory, so you would have less work to do to install the electrics (and you would use a different kit). Either option is still best with dedicated/OEM wiring as it integrates better into the vehicle's other systems and it is a cleaner install. The Westfalia kit linked a few posts back is a good option if you don't want to get the Skoda version.

Will that octavia kit will be good for my car ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Octavia-13-Pin-Tow-Bar-Wiring-Kit-5E0055316A-Genuine-New-Skoda-Parts/174520062456?epid=22018961217&hash=item28a234d1f8:g:wJYAAOSwNkRfnGgP

4 hours ago, mushroomnr said:

I have found dedicated unit with connection to can bus.

https://www.rameder.eu/westfalia-towbar-complete-set-134732-07588-1.html

It's still required VCDS integration but that shouldn't be a problem. 

Is that continental version or UK? Apparently they are diffrent.

8 hours ago, mushroomnr said:

Won't fit, but I've seen somewhere that loom from earlier Octavia model will fit and from Yeti.

14 hours ago, chimaera said:

I suspect there was a lot of hacking involved, and I get the impression that @mushroomnris not interested in a non-standard install. Care to post details/pictures of how you did it?

I don't mind to extend cable, but I think I will stick to dedicated one which I have found on german website, I just need to confirm that this will fit UK version. 

All plugs, terminals etc. are the same in Polo and Skoda loom. you just need to extend 2x2.5mm power cables. One to fuse board and one drom trailer plug to the module box.

Like I said - I paid 10quid for brand new loom with module, so it would be rude not to try it :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuPuS said:

All plugs, terminals etc. are the same in Polo and Skoda loom. you just need to extend 2x2.5mm power cables. One to fuse board and one drom trailer plug to the module box.

Like I said - I paid 10quid for brand new loom with module, so it would be rude not to try it :)

What about the CAN Bus & brake line connections at the BCM?