Some information regarding start/stop system.

Just passing this on in case any of you guys have the same problem/symptoms I had yesterday. The cars not been used much over the past few weeks, and when it was used, short journeys.

Anyway, I noticed that the start stop wasn't kicking in once the car was warmed up, so I checked the state of charge (SOC) in the maxidot, and sure enough it was 60% So I put the battery on charge over-night, and the SOC reading was still at 60% this morning.

Long story short, I used a charger that said it would work with AGM batteries, but I noticed the cut off voltage of the charger was 13.9 Volts. Turns out that the latest generation of AGM batteries need to be taken up to 14.6 Volts to get them to 100% charge.

So I bought a Ring Battery charger, set it to AGM mode and auto charge, 6 hours later SOC reading 100% and start/stop working.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info. I expect my wife's Mini with stop-start also needs this.

I have an over 10 yr old Halfords charger so that probably is no good.

Can we have a link to the one you bought please?

Thanks for the info. I expect my wife's Mini with stop-start also needs this.

I have an over 10 yr old Halfords charger so that probably is no good.

Can we have a link to the one you bought please?

Sure thing mate

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/car-battery-chargers/ring-12a-smartcharger-charge-and-diagnose

Not cheap, but it does testing, alternator, starter crank test, memory save, capacity test. 5 charging modes, Auto, Winter, maintenance, and I forget the rest  :D

BTW It was also a Halfords 10 year old charger I used initially, says it does AGM, but obviously not the newer AGM batteries.

To get the SOC display. Ignition off and bonnet must be shut. Press and hold the trip reset button, the maxidot will then show TIME, keep the button held, then it will show BATTERY. Release the button and that's it, the SOC % will be displayed.

• Like 2

I still have a lot of scepticism about start stop systems.

If I am planning on leaving the car unused for more than a week I will turn the start-stop off well beforehand so the battery can reach full charge.

Ive been doing a lot of short trips lately, and for the past two weeks its been below -10 degrees C. And S/S havent given me any problems at all. Although it doesnt stop the engine much when it is this cold.

• Like 2

Ive been doing a lot of short trips lately, and for the past two weeks its been below -10 degrees C. And S/S havent given me any problems at all. Although it doesnt stop the engine much when it is this cold.

Exactly, no need to worry about it.

• Like 1

Handy to know. I have a MINI too and the stop start hasn't worked for ages. The car is also coming up with excessive battery discharge errors as I think the dash cam is worked wrongly so might need to invest in one of these chargers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To get the SOC display. Ignition off and bonnet must be shut. Press and hold the trip reset button, the maxidot will then show TIME, keep the button held, then it will show BATTERY. Release the button and that's it, the SOC % will be displayed.

Cheers ;) well handy to know

• 2 weeks later...

Sure thing mate

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/car-battery-chargers/ring-12a-smartcharger-charge-and-diagnose

Not cheap, but it does testing, alternator, starter crank test, memory save, capacity test. 5 charging modes, Auto, Winter, maintenance, and I forget the rest  :D

BTW It was also a Halfords 10 year old charger I used initially, says it does AGM, but obviously not the newer AGM batteries.

Just to say thanks. I bought the slightly lower capacity (8amps I think) one as I am getting a 1.4 TSI and wife's Mini is 1.6 petrol.

Not tried it yet, hopefully connect the Mini up over the weekend.

How long do you have to hold the trip reset button? I've tried it before but never got past the TIME section... (I guess I didn't hold it long enough, or is it perhaps not available in Fabia III?)

How long do you have to hold the trip reset button? I've tried it before but never got past the TIME section... (I guess I didn't hold it long enough, or is it perhaps not available in Fabia III?)

EDIT: OK, I managed to get it display the battery charge this morning. Got SOC 80%. I suppose this is alright for a bit more than a year-old battery?