Still worth buying the mk1 vrs in 2016?

BBiZ

How can a car that's a different colour with leather seats be nicer all around? :D

Perhaps your other mk1's were just a bit rough with higher mileages etc than your current SE?

That's the only explanation for your SE to be nicer all around

No my other vrs cars went that much more really both in good condition, what I mean is its nicer to look at, that race blue when clean looks alot better then the other colours imo, but each to the own, and it's better inside to look at with the leather blue piping and the number in the seats just a better looking then the cloth.

No my other vrs cars went that much more really both in good condition, what I mean is its nicer to look at, that race blue when clean looks alot better then the other colours imo, but each to the own, and it's better inside to look at with the leather blue piping and the number in the seats just a better looking then the cloth.

I second that.. Although the black Fabias are gorgeous when looked after properly - they just get dirty so quick.

The SE is a nice place to be! :-)

I second that.. Although the black Fabias are gorgeous when looked after properly - they just get dirty so quick.

The SE is a nice place to be! :-)

Cheers mate both my other ones were black and I looked after both them very well.

Without sparking the city runner vs motorway miles debate.. How many miles on the clock would be considered too many? Even after good maintenance etc on the mk1 vrs model

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Without sparking the city runner vs motorway miles debate.. How many miles on the clock would be considered too many? Even after good maintenance etc on the mk1 vrs model

The basic engine can do over 300k miles if regularly maintained with the correct oil. Some ancillaries may become unreliable before this stage - drive shafts go and some feel the turbo will need changing before this. My local taxi firm ran tdi passats with a very similar engine and used to sell them after about 300k "before they get unreliable".

• Like 1

All Fabias had colour coded door handles from 2006 onwards and the SE had a space saver from new to save a few kg and pass an emissions test like all other Mk I's.

The only things you could only get on an SE were privacy glass and Race Blue paint.

And if you want a car with genuine xenons, ESP, Sat Nav, heated seats or a sunroof, you can't have any of those on an SE because it's a take-it-or-leave-it parts bin special.

As someone has said, they command the prices they do because people will pay those prices. If you ask yourself HONESTLY "is it worth the premium over a standard car for blue paint and privacy glass" then you have to come to the conclusion that those options are not worth double the money over a similarly or better specced red, black or silver car. And there are some VERY high spec '06, 56 and 07 reg cars out there, some of them very well looked after indeed.

If you have £5000 then £3000 for a really nice black, red or silver Fabia leaves you a LOT of budget to rectify minor faults on a well looked after car or blow it all tuning the car to stupid levels and post on here about how it no longer works properly lol :)

As you say some VRS'S way out spec the SE'S.

Take Lofty's sprint yellow '07 plate,ESP,heated seats with side airbags,xenons,electric sunroof.

Interesting about you not being able to spec up a SE,didn't know that:)

Yes the SE's were a take it or leave it model. Cynically just a marketing ploy to shift the last of the soon to be outdated Mk1 models, as to a price premium over a standard vRS, it's a case of you pays your money you make your choice.

Interestingly enough, you'll probably find that once the Mk1 Fabia numbers have diminished to a point where the chavs move onto newer models, that prices may strengthen on all models, and originality will become more important than limited edition status, and essentially standard cars will become more desirable as people remember what the core strengths of these little unique cars was.

• Like 1

Yes the SE's were a take it or leave it model. Cynically just a marketing ploy to shift the last of the soon to be outdated Mk1 models, as to a price premium over a standard vRS, it's a case of you pays your money you make your choice.

Interestingly enough, you'll probably find that once the Mk1 Fabia numbers have diminished to a point where the chavs move onto newer models, that prices may strengthen on all models, and originality will become more important than limited edition status, and essentially standard cars will become more desirable as people remember what the core strengths of these little unique cars was.

Nice prediction that is, my gut feeling is that the Fabia vRS is significant in history as the first major diesel hot hatch and they're due a place in history as a result.

I'm just hoping my ****ter will double in price in the next few years like the current BMW 6 cylinder E36 market

After some thought and pondering the pro's and con's, I'd say to you BBiZ - buy a low-mid mileage example, try and find one that has a good service history and hasn't been driven like it was stolen. There aren't many other cars available, that for a similar price, pack the same kind of punch.

JUST DON'T BUY A LEMON!!

JRJG

They are good little cars that can be had for not much money.

I would however be wary of buying an older 'dirty' diesel because some cities are going to introduce clean air zones with accompanying charges before long.....

They are good little cars that can be had for not much money.

I would however be wary of buying an older 'dirty' diesel because some cities are going to introduce clean air zones with accompanying charges before long.....

If you mean EU6 then very few cars made before 2012 comply with EU6 and VW were still selling EU5 cars to clear stocks after September last year, under a derogation from the DOT.

After some thought and pondering the pro's and con's, I'd say to you BBiZ - buy a low-mid mileage example, try and find one that has a good service history and hasn't been driven like it was stolen. There aren't many other cars available, that for a similar price, pack the same kind of punch.

JUST DON'T BUY A LEMON!!

JRJG

Lol 'don't buy a lemon' if only there were a certified lemon checker. LEMON CLEAR.

Lol 'don't buy a lemon' if only there were a certified lemon checker. LEMON CLEAR.

If you have any prototypes for a lemon scanner I will definitely be interested. And prepared to invest. [emoji16]

JRJG

• Like 1

Few weeks ago I bought 06 fabia vrs in very good condition for 2800. Ok, it has 140k on clock but only had two owners, new cambelt for third time and full service history. Love the car! Seen plenty nice examples for 3000 mark.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Prices do seem to vary a bit I payed £2600 for my 04 with 110,000 miles on the clock, factory xenons and wietec coil overs and I couldn't help but think I probably overpaid for it.

I've put 30,000 on it since I've had it and it's never missed a beat other than a wheel bearing, expansion tank and the alternator pulley and belt, oh and a recent cam belt, water pump kit which ended up costing me £45.

I have done a few mods here and there to "improve" the car to my liking and to be honest I don't really intend to much more, unless the turbo goes pop or whatever, I'll probably run the car until it no longer make sense to do so.

Its similar cars like the MK4 Golf that has the same engine that are also good value for money.

I see loads around 2003 GTTDI or just TDI etc... for a few hundred quid. same pd130 engine in alot of them so still run quite well.

Not sure about reliability on other things but if your want a cheaper car it might be somthing to look at.

The golfs are a good shout but a bit bland also common as muck hence the cheapness.

Like you say great value for money though if that's what your after but after all it is what it is, possibly the worst version of a golf ever made.

I recently bought a Black MK1 Fabia Vrs with 1 owner from new, FSH, factory leathers, newly replaced cambelt and water pump, bodywork in mint condition with 82,000 miles for £3000. Previous owner was an oldish fella too so everything was standard.

Definitely worth waiting around until you drop on the one you want. Had mine about a month now and I love it.

• Like 2

I recently bought a Black MK1 Fabia Vrs with 1 owner from new, FSH, factory leathers, newly replaced cambelt and water pump, bodywork in mint condition with 82,000 miles for £3000. Previous owner was an oldish fella too so everything was standard.

Definitely worth waiting around until you drop on the one you want. Had mine about a month now and I love it.

Really? Sounds like you done pretty well there mate.

I prefered to buy the best of a bad bunch :P

1.7k on car with 127k miles, meant i had 2k of my budget to have fun tinkering :) 

I think mileage on these doesn't mean to much, really whats the difference from a 90k to a 130k?? Its all a gamble, just hope you get one thats had regular servicing, tlc oil changes etc.

• Like 1

I prefered to buy the best of a bad bunch[emoji14]

1.7k on car with 127k miles, meant i had 2k of my budget to have fun tinkering :)

I think mileage on these doesn't mean to much, really whats the difference from a 90k to a 130k?? Its all a gamble, just hope you get one thats had regular servicing, tlc oil changes etc.

I guess it could also be argued under 100k milage on a 10 year old car is just as concerning lol

• Like 1

I guess it could also be argued under 100k milage on a 10 year old car is just as concerning lol

You're dead right there, low mileage is something I've become very wary of since my mk1 Octy which I bought on 70k a couple of years ago. It became apparent through ownership that it just hadn't had the exercise and parts were failing and perishing that you wouldn't expect on that mileage (driveshaft, actuator, pipework, gearbox started going south etc). It had fsh and was very tidy, but beneath the surface...You want something that has the 'right' mileage I reckon. My 2008 Ibiza was on 93k which is spot on, you know it's been used and endured but it hasn't been to the moon and back. Edited by YellowCar
  • Like 2