protecting alloy wheels - wax them?

hutchysrs50

Basically...

had my wheels power coated and they reacted to some wheel cleaner i used.

ive had them redone again so are new, i want them protecting but not sure what to use, Ive got Autoglym HD wax but not sure if thats pointless on alloys witht hem getting warm and upsetting the wax.

Also a slight worry at the back of my mind thinking it could react with the powder coat also.

• Like 1

I don't get on with the Poorboys wheel sealant, but that might just be me! The F1000P is far easier and thinner to apply.

For wheels, putting a sealant then the wax on just gives you that extra level of protection. Then you can always top up the wax now and again, knowing there's still sealant protection underneath.

• Like 1

One thing maybe to watch out for when using powder coated wheels in winter, this is from my personal experience:- I bought a set of 2009 Audi A4 18" alloys for winter use on my 2011 Audi S4, so far so good, I then got them fitted with Michelin Alpins at Costco, they are now on the car for its third winter since I bought it, but when checking the tyre pressures this time, I found one was very low. A few weeks later, while checking all over the wheels again, this wheel was again low and the only leak was at the valve - where it passes through the wheel - I got Costco to replace the valve and that sorted that one out. As I had to take this wheel off to get the valve changed, I took both wheels on that side of the car off and cleaned them up properly. A week later, I removed the wheels on the other side of the car and cleaned them properly and when I was refitting them, I found that one was "hissing" - again at the valve, so I checked the other one from that side and it was "hissing slightly" from the valve area, so both of them also got new valves! On examining both these two wheels prior to the repair I noticed that there was coating "lifting" around the valve holes, so as three of the wheels on the car are used powder coated and the fourth is new but powder coated to mate the others, is this a case of the original corrosion becoming active again 2.5 years later?  I've applied red rubber grease to the areas around the valves to slow down any more corrosion due to the coating lifting by keeping the water/salt away.  I was not expecting that! I'm assuming here that everything was okay until I disturbed the valves and that moved the coating that had been lifting at that area.

Other issue might be that powder coating reduces the valve holes too much and tyre places roughly open them out so cause damage to the coating. I do know that powder coating is thicker than the original paint as the centre trims are hard to fit as were the wheels on the hubs.

Edited by rum4mo

I have just bought new wheels for my se just waiting on some better weather to out them on, but as others have mentioned here already I.e poorboys are all good options only thing I found with poorboys wheel sealant is it don't last very long, another option is what I have just bought is carbon collective platinum wheels, supposed to be very good, friends have used this product alot and rate highly. Whatever you choose let us know how you get on.

http://carboncollective.com/product/platinum-wheels-coating-v2-packaging/

• Like 1

I found Poorboys durability, well, poor!

In a similar dilemma soon when the new Superb arrives so I was thinking of either Gtechniq C5 or Carbon Collective. Seeing as the rest of the car will have Gtechniq I'll probably go with C5.

No experience of it but if its like the rest of their products should be good.

• Like 2

Common theme then....Poorboys Wheel Sealant has to be one of the most disappointing products in the range.

No argument on the ceramic coatings mentioned above.

My preference over the years has been FK1000P; for alloys, chrome, exhausts etc.

Recently i got a sample of Angelwax Bilberry wheels and i really like that on the alloys :thumbup:

To the OP though - did you have the option of a final lacquer coat on the wheels or did that not match the finish you wanted?

Common themre then....Poorboys Wheel Sealant has to be one of the most disappointing products in the range.

OT which is odd as the other products I've tried have been good, interior dressing for a start.

• Like 1

OT which is odd as the other products I've tried have been good, interior dressing for a start.

Yes - agreed; the rest of the PB range i have used is superb and great value.

Natty's Paste wax, their QD+ plus some others - absolutely superb. :thumbup:

Be aware that you can get the FK1000P in a sample pot size, so you don't have to fork out for a big pot at nearly 20 quid. There is enough in that pot to do my car twice (Octavia) so should enough for your wheels with some to spare.

Available here: http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,107,toView_1096.html

and here: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sample-sizes/finishkare-1000p-high-temp-paste-wax-sample/prod_666.html

• Like 3