New planet (possibly) found (maybe)

Aspman

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/12111353/Evidence-of-huge-ninth-planet-found-in-solar-system.html

Scientists have found evidence of a ninth planet in the solar system which is travelling on a bizarre elongated orbit.

The body, which has been dubbed ‘Planet Nine’ is 10 times the mass of Earth and takes between 10,000 and 20,000 years to orbit the Sun. It is so big that researchers have branded it ‘the most planety planet of the solar system.’

Very cool if true.

However... if this is found to be true and we have found another large rocky body in the solar system we MUST reinstate pluto to planet status immediately.

How else can we call the new planet...Planet X

• Like 1

Planet Nibiru surely?

Seriously though how the hell can you only just have discovered a planet 10 times bigger than the earth? Pluto was discovered in 1930 without the use of a rocket or a big, massive, gigantic, space telescope.

Don't seem right surely.

Edited by theezenutz

If the orbit is that elongated and off centre (relatively) it may well have been so far ourt to not be noticed as having a local orbit.

Typo

Edited by mac11irl

Planet Nibiru surely?

Seriously though how the hell can you only just have discovered a planet 10 times bigger than the earth? Pluto was discovered in 1930 without the use of a rocket or a big, massive, gigantic, space telescope.

Don't seem right surely.

I believe it has an orbit of about 10000 years, so isn't particularly local for most of the time.

Don't seem right surely.

Agreed.

I'd prefer not to mention the word conspiracy it's a trigger word.

Read the link properly because if true it sort of makes a mockery of it.

The story talks about something 10 times the mass of earth. For comparison the sun is roughly 330,000 times the mass of the earth. Also this extra planet emits no light and if we assume a similar albedo to the earth or Pluto of 0.3 (I.e. 30% is reflected), from Pluto the sun looks like a bright star, now imagine something with 33,000 less mass (a lot lot lot smaller) which reflects a tiny fraction of effectively star light - it's not going to be very obvious.

Also there is a whole lot of stuff between us and where this planet is likely to be (the kuiper belt) which make it harder to directly observe.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

They are running out of money and they need their next big hand out. They have to come up with something.

We supposedly have a rocket / probe out nearing the outer heliosphere, recently I believe.

It is a very fascinating subject though, if you are interested in astronomy.

Quite difficult to believe that some of the starlight that we are seeing now has been travelling since the big bang, or at least for millions (or is it supposed to be billions) of years.

They are running out of money and they need their next big hand out. They have to come up with something.

We supposedly have a rocket / probe out nearing the outer heliosphere, recently I believe.

It is a very fascinating subject though, if you are interested in astronomy.

Quite difficult to believe that some of the starlight that we are seeing now has been travelling since the big bang, or at least for millions (or is it supposed to be billions) of years.

The probe that whizzed past Pluto is nowhere near this planet, they have already lined up to visit a lump in the keiper belt, but I'm not sure if they have money to keep monitoring the data the probe sends back.

So you don't believe in the speed of light?

Guess that's aimed at me.

I did not say that I do not believe, I said "quite difficult to believe", there is a difference.

Of course I believe in the speed of light. It is fact.

Perhaps I should have used the word 'understand' instead of 'believe'.

What I find quite difficult to believe are the distances this light has travelled considering the speed that light travels at, and that nothing had diminished this light on its travels through space and time.

Edited by Tilt

Guess that's aimed at me.

I did not say that I do not believe, I said "quite difficult to believe", there is a difference.

Of course I believe in the speed of light. It is fact.

Perhaps I should have used the word 'understand' instead of 'believe'.

What I find quite difficult to believe are the distances this light has travelled considering the speed that light travels at, and that nothing had diminished this light on its travels through space and time.

i think the word your really looking for "comprehend" as the numbers are so big, its very difficult get your head aroumd them as theres nothing in day to day life to factor it against. Lengths of football pitches for example dont even work as the numbers are still too big.

Along with the whole, we are leanging about happened billions of yrs ago because the light from that event is juust reaching us now.. the stars we are looking at now are probably already burned out or moved from where we are seeing them...

On topic of the the "10th" planet (pluto still has status in my book) if it is that far out, any previous spottings may have written it off as an asteroid, until now and its got a bit closer to track its movement and determine its trajectory. If theyve been aware if it and teacking for say 10yrs its comoleted 1/1000 of its orbit in that time.. 0.3degrees give or take... thats not much

Edited by mac11irl

Tom Robbins reader by any chance?

No I've not come across that book before its just something I've heard many people make reference too on my travels through the World Wide Web, it interests me to a certain extent. I do however have the book The Sirius Mystery by Robert Temple as well as an interesting one called The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot, neither of which I have got around to reading yet but they are there sat on my bookshelf awaiting a rainy day.

• Like 1

Just reading through that article and I mus admit it's quite interesting probably more interesting up there than down here but I still can't help but to feel skeptical, naturally.

The comments section is rather quite funny especially the jokes about Mouthpiece Trump, some of the comments made me think about the film Another Earth which in itself is a interesting concept.

If it is there it's a loooooong way off. About 200AU they think. And Voyager is only at about 133AU.

Plus this isn't a star so it's not radiating a great deal of light or other radiation so it's really quite hard to see.

Other things that keep it that way are a very exccentric orbit which means it could be at it's closes approach and still be a looong way off, it's also in an inclined orbit so not where they would normally look for another part oft eh solar system.

But apparently if they can narrow down where to look we have some telescopes that are strong enough to see it, although it's likely to just a be a pixel or two.

some of the newer propulsion techs might mean it will be reachable in a not too silly period of time. I saw it written that a VASIMR drive could get there in 4yr.

Just watching a vid on it and it's left me quite confused.

So scientist's at cal tech have found a new planet in the solar system so this scientist knew something was up because the orbits of the other planets were lined up? So nothing else worked but a planet does, Ok very scientific! Yet they haven't actually seen it but they do know it's 10 times the size of Earth

Now I know I'm not a physicist but surely as "scientist" they should have a little more evidence to show to the public. This almost comes across similarly like the manned mission to Mars which I read somewhere the other day was revealed as a hoax.

Interesting but I'm yet to be convinced.

Edited by theezenutz

It's based on the perturbations of Kuiper belt object away from their expected orbits. Enough of them have been affected in a similar way to suggest that a planet has done it.

From the movements they can take a guess at the mass of the object that caused the movements.

It's all statistical right now but that's how Pluto was found.

Just watching a vid on it and it's left me quite confused.

So scientist's at cal tech have found a new planet in the solar system so this scientist knew something was up because the orbits of the other planets were lined up? So nothing else worked but a planet does, Ok very scientific! Yet they haven't actually seen it but they do know it's 10 times the size of Earth

Now I know I'm not a physicist but surely as "scientist" they should have a little more evidence to show to the public. This almost comes across similarly like the manned mission to Mars which I read somewhere the other day was revealed as a hoax.

Interesting but I'm yet to be convinced.

The answer is that they haven't found a planet, no one has observed it.

What has happened is that people have been watching the movements of the planets and other bodies and what is observed does not match with what is predicted. We can predict very well what is going to happen to objects in space, the ISS is a good example of this, think about the soyuz capsule meeting up with the ISS.

So they have thought there must be something else involved, so they have put together models and run them again and again and again with different parameters. Presumably the output from all of this is that the only way to get the model to match the observations is when you have an extra planet on a different orbit to everything else. This extra planet also needs to be 10 times the size of the earth. So now they have a hypothesis that can be tested. Their model can be used to predict where this new planet should be and we can look to try and observe it.

Once it has been spotted then the hypothesis will be validated, or if not disproved - in which case, back to the drawing board. That is how science works.

Another issue is whether we have the physical ability to test the hypothesis. One of the outer planets (Pluto?) was predicted to exist many years before it was observed as the technology was simply not good enough at the time. So we may not be able to test this new hypothesis next week or next year, it could take 5, 10 or 50 years before we have the technological ability to do that.

Unfortunately this has been translated by the media as there is definitely absolutely 100% an extra planet, which is not the case.

That video you linked to is a touch over 2 minutes long yet obviously made far far more footage than that and reflects how the story is made more "exciting" by the media.

Edited by trundlenut
  • Like 3

It's based on the perturbations of Kuiper belt object away from their expected orbits. Enough of them have been affected in a similar way to suggest that a planet has done it.

From the movements they can take a guess at the mass of the object that caused the movements.

It's all statistical right now but that's how Pluto was found.

I've actually watched a little bit more on it now and it does start to make sense I think that vid I posted does a very poor job at trying to explain it.

This one goes into a little more detail including some interesting facts not included in the mainstream watered down snip its. Especially when they talk about zecharia stichin who was talking about this topic 20 odd years ago.

People have predicted extra planets for hundreds of years.

This prediction is from a fairly level headed university. It's the media that is blowing it up.

It's not really all that unlikely that there could be other planets even further out even quite big ones.

• Like 1