Insurance - why is it so hard?!

PastyBoy

Why must we go around the same merry go round every 12 months

Mrs Pasty's renewal advice arrived this morning and was almost £700?!

32 year old woman with no accidents, no claims, no points, no convictions and 6 years no claims

ok the A3 is a fancy one but seriously what the actual f---?

Especially when comparing meerkats results in more like £250.

grrrr so begin a week of putting the same data into hundreds of websites and arguing over prices

Edited by PastyBoy

Yep it's the same with all insurance, not just cars. My pet insurance renewal arrived recently.

Direct line, currently £18/month.

Renewal: £31/month.

No claims or changes etc.

Direct line website, exactly the same details and cover: £21/month.

Tesco: same details, higher level of cover: £17/month + quidco + clubcard points.

"Are you sure you don't want to renew with Direct Line Sir?" "Er....No thanks"

I'm just a boring old f@rt in a bog standard Roomster;  

No accidents, no claims, no points, no convictions, 44 years no claims - and I ride the same merry-go-round every year.

Over the last ten years, I have insured with six major providers.  All have given a competitive quote for first year insurance, only to ramp up the premium by 25% to 35% for the second year.  Two of these providers reduced the second year premium by a substantial amount after I phoned them just to complain.

It seems I will need to insure with a seventh provider next year, just to secure a competitive premium.

Loyalty counts for nothing.

Something strange happened with my renewal this year -

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/383019-insurance-renewal-wtf/?fromsearch=1

First time it's happened, so hope a new trend has started :)

I saw this thread at the end of last year and got a quote from AXA.  

AXA quoted £90 more than Direct Line for broadly similar cover.

Sometimes it seems insurance companies just make up the numbers and quote whatever they think they can get away with.

I've just finished the same merry go round. Insured with one of the site sponsors last year as they were the best by a good way.

This year their renewal quote was rubbish, so onto comparing meerkats. Could save a reasonable amount. Also rang another sponsor who have just beaten all quotes straight off the bat, no wanting to know my other quotes!

It seems the only way of getting a good price for insurance is to jump companies every year!

I got bored of seriously looking at stuff

so i'm now a 17 year old who wants an Impreza WR1

that'll be £7655.98 please

hmm well i like 4 wheel drive but jap just isn't exotic enough

Murcielago?  much better

that'll be £44,320.96

Edited by PastyBoy
  • Like 3

We've just renewed with Aviva. Renewal letter came through at £613 which is roughly the same as last year. Went online and did a like for like as a new customer and got £589. If I do it through QuidCo I could get another £60 back. I rang up; gave them the quote number and the other bit about quidco. They said they couldn't do anything about the cashback but see whether they could match the £589. 

Guy comes back about 5 minutes later and says that he can do it for £540! We'll have that thank you very much! I've also had 2 no fault claims in that time frame. 

Both protected NCB (7 for me and 9 for the other half) and 15/10k on the cars with SCP and light business for me.

Had a quote from Chris Knott insurance today having seen their info on here.

Cheaper than any previous quote I had and includes pretty much all the extras that are usually charged for.

Got a discount for being a Briskoda member as well!

• Like 1

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan 

Unfortunately it's an Adrian Flux renewal price (that has prompted my anguish in the first place

While I appreciated your service when my car was modified (although even then the annual 50% renewal reduction dance wore thin) your standard car prices always seem way off the mark.

Had a quote from Chris Knott insurance today having seen their info on here.

Cheaper than any previous quote I had and includes pretty much all the extras that are usually charged for.

Got a discount for being a Briskoda member as well!

Took the policy out with them today.

Including the %charge for monthly payment, £292.

Happy with that!

• Sponsor

Hi Dan 

Unfortunately it's an Adrian Flux renewal price (that has prompted my anguish in the first place

While I appreciated your service when my car was modified (although even then the annual 50% renewal reduction dance wore thin) your standard car prices always seem way off the mark.

Oh right. Sorry to hear about that. I would appreciate it if you could PM me your details anyway so I can take a look as to why we are so far out.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan

I may have spoken slightly out of turn.

It would appear that the renewal figure is so high as there is an open claim against the wife's policy...........which no one from your end had told us about.

I'll move my annoyance away from your renewals department and on to your claims team!

Edited by PastyBoy

I hate renewing insurance, it really makes me want to sell my cars and use the bus, or just walk. I might feel fitter too.

No more folk cadging lifts, I can drink beer when out, dam it I can cadge the lifts too. Also turn the garage into a room and rent it out.

A good deal to think about between now and November, I'll most likely cough up for the increased premium or hit the compare sites again though.

Unfortunately its now a way of life,every year when the renewals are due its always a good idea to shop around.

Not just for car insurance,every insurance and all utility renewals,i have seen a very decent gas & electric dual fuel fixed price for my place,if only I could buy petrol at a yearly fixed price.

Join the churn team.

I renewed mine today.

Was with Tesco for three years and they wanted £1000 for the VRS. Managed to get to £843. No way.

Tried Chris Knott. Wouldn't insure me as not had the car a year.

Compared the market. Found admiral at £607. Clicked to buy and it dropped by £11 (??) £596 for a 27 year old. 3 years no claims. Purchased that. Wasn't getting any better quotes near to that.

Tried direct line. £918

Adrian Flux took too long to answer the phone.

I've read somewhere that they up your renewal in a hope to move you, as the longer you are with them the more chance you will have an accident with them?

Seems understandable?

I've read somewhere that they up your renewal in a hope to move you, as the longer you are with them the more chance you will have an accident with them?

My understanding is, they up your renewal in the hope you won't notice - or else in the hope you CBA to do the annual insurance merry-go-round.

Last year, I discovered my sister was a CBA.  She had insured with the same company for more than ten years.

I did the merry-go-round for her and reduced her premium from over £800 to under £300.

As said in a previous post - loyalty counts for nothing.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding is, they up your renewal in the hope you won't notice - or else in the hope you CBA to do the annual insurance merry-go-round.

Nah. Insurance co's make a loss on most personal lines policies as everyone wants it cheap and New Bus is so competitive. Renewals are intentionally higher as they're the only thing that makes money - they'd rather take a 10% premium bump and a 5% retention rate than try to compete for business they don't really want.