'Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Ootohere

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• the UK should REMAIN in the EU
    • the UK should LEAVE the EU

This is an interesting article, especially for Scots the apparent option to remain in both the UK and Europe https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/adam-ramsay/eight-reasons-scotland-is-more-remain-and-what-will-happen-if-its-dragged-out

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

?

Who is this 'they' and what have 'they' to do with the Referendum result announced next Friday?

I've only ever heard Boris say this.

Has someone brought this up today?

Was on the radio news and daily politics yesterday, from the remain camp.

The EU is a fantastic thing...........if your name is Kinnock.

Funny isn't it how that man can have failed to get into UK top job so many times, so instead gets an unellected post in the EU making up EU laws and deciding what can be proposed.

It does stink and not just him, but most of them.

That, sir is complete and utter *******s.

I have a German partner of fifteen years, know many Germans and NONE of them are proud of that part of Germany's history.

It's my experience that the only country in the world that continues to drag up The Great War and WWII is the UK, (actually, England).

The rest of Europe and indeed the world has moved on.

Pi$$es me right off that the UK hasn't.

I suggest you read a bit more history. Charismatic charming leader telling people what they want to hear, making promises. Hitler or Boris Johnson??

The French and other former occupied/ annexed countries don't drag up that **** so why the UK??

I work for a German company and I have to say, very few of them bring it up and those that do are usually commenting on an ugly city and asking why we didn't bomb it properly for them.

As for the other countries not bringing it up... erm plenty of the populous do, even if the political elite don't.

Funny isn't it how that man can have failed to get into UK top job so many times, so instead gets an unellected post in the EU making up EU laws and deciding what can be proposed.

It does stink...

Yes, EU commissioners are "unelected". They are, however, suggested/recommended by their member states' governments, and governments hold their mandate from elected parliaments. Commissioner candidates also undergo questioning by the EP (whose members are elected), and more than once this questioning has led to candidates being forced to back down.

If there's a stench around this procedure, the very same stench must be felt all over Whitehall as well, and Brexit will hardly change this. If anything, the appointment of UK ministers is less democratic since they (at least formally) are appointed by the queen, whose power comes from hereditary rights.

There are plenty of people who see sense who remember that Germany started two world wars and brought much misery. That same Germany is still trying to rule but with different tactics. 

No, it's not "that same Germany". The first article of the German constitution states that "Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority." That article had no counterpart in the German empire 1914 or in Nazi Germany 1939. And above all: it's not the same Germans.

Being a historian I strongly advice against bestowing collective blame and guilt on people for wrongdoings of the past. Not only is it a dangerous case of stereotyping, it can also backfire. Undoubtedly it was Germans (not "Germany" or "the Germans") who perfected the concentration camp system, but the system was in fact invented (more or less) by Britons (not by "Britain" or "the Brits". See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War#Concentration_camps_.281900.E2.80.931902.29

Edited by swedishskoda
  • Like 1

No, it's not "that same Germany". The first article of the German constitution states that "Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority." That article had no counterpart in the German empire 1914 or in Nazi Germany 1939. And above all: it's not the same Germans.

Being a historian I strongly advice against bestowing collective blame and guilt on people for wrongdoings of the past. Not only is it a dangerous case of stereotyping, it can also backfire. Undoubetdly it was Germans (not "Germany" or "the Germans") who perfected the concentration camp system, but the system was in fact invented (more or less) by Britons (not by "Britain" or "the Brits". See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War#Concentration_camps_.281900.E2.80.931902.29

I'm sure if you trace most things back far enough we will be culpable seeing as we invented almost everything and that includes things that furthered humanity and things that caused humanity to take a step back. Yet apparently this same nation is unable to stand alone and forge its own path (we are told).

I agree with your point that these are not the same Germans. Your right they are much more calculating and its a passive but manipulative grip over Europe they seek not a hostile take over. At least before their ambitions were not so thinly veiled.

We must trace things back to how there became the 'British Empire', The Slave Trade etc.

Such a small group of islands and population make up the United Kingdom and yet it thought its self a superpower.

Stole and took so many lands around the world, and seemingly next Friday it all ends and pensioners lose their Free Bus Passes 

and overseas pensioners will not get Cold Weather Payments.

...we invented almost everything...

At least the Norwegians can take credit for inventing the cheese plane, the French for the guillotine and we Swedes for the artificial pacemaker and the modern Ombudsman institution. Not to mention gravadlax (although we may share the honour with our Norwegian neighbours).

...these are not the same Germans... they are much more calculating... At least before their ambitions were not so thinly veiled.

I do hope you wrote this tounge in cheek? (Hard to tell when it comes to Brexit/Bremain arguments).

Edited by swedishskoda
  • Like 2

I do hope you wrote this tounge in cheek? (Hard to tell when it comes to Brexit/Bremain arguments).

A little, pointing out that their aims were more clearly implemented does not aim to excuse there actions during this dark period in history.

However if we forget the circumstances that fostered that movement to grow and go unchecked and eventually result in Far Right Nazi's almost bringing about Armageddon then we miss an opportunity to prevent history repeating itself. If you ask me the EU has only caused an increase in Far Rights influence and I think we are heading towards conflict rather than being safer from our membership.

I Know everyone is probably watching the football but a MP leave campaigner has been shot, critical

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-leeds-36543180

I hope this is condemned by both sides because people need to understand that in a democracy people will have

differing views that they may not like but we are all human beings and they should be respected. Hope she recovers

shes clearly very brave going against party whip.

Terrible news indeed. While hoping that Ms. Cox will recover we should, however, keep calm and wait for more information before making connections to the referendum. There might be a lot of reasons behind a constituent's grudge towards the local MP which, in extreme cases, may lead to undefendable assaults.