Faulty steering wheel controls for Maxi dot

Had my new VRS since November 15, delighted with the car....but....developed a fault with the right hand scrolling wheel on the multi function steering wheel control.

Can't now scroll between functions within the on board computer.

Anyone else out there had a similar problem?

What a coincidence, just logged after a long time away from the forum to see if anyone has had such a fault and you have asked the same. Had exactly the same issue start on my Scout today. Was registered in September. Hoping for a simple fix.

The right hand "back" button on my 2014 63 plate Elegance has always suffered stickiness since it was new in colder weather....all the while the temp remains above 5 degrees or so its fine, below that it tends to get stuck in preventing you using the trip computer properly....once it warms up normal service resumes.

Its something thats difficult to replicate so Ive never bothered trying for a warranty claim. I expect replacement of the right hand button set would probably resolve the issue but it happens so few times also I cant really be bothered.

Think this is actually quite a common issue and others have complained of it too.

I think this is a different problem to the OP's, but I thought the left roller on my MFSW might be faulty, because I struggle to cancel RDS traffic announcements. When I've paid more attention though it seems to be because when I try to press the roller it usually registers a change in volume, so it ignores the press.

• 3 months later...
Guest danbt79

Should be covered under warranty?

I'm picking up a 6 month old Octavia on Tuesday from my local Škoda dealership. I went to collect it last Saturday, but discovered the right hand jog wheel worked very intermittently when looking over the car.

Dealer agreed it wasn't working right, and it would be corrected under warranty. They're fixing it (together with a couple of deep stone chips) and I'll pick it up on Tuesday.

Refusing to actually buy the car until it was made good may have helped my case here though!

A few people on the forum have reported problems with MFSW buttons/controls sticking or not registering. e.g. the Maxidot display rotating at random.

Drop into your dealer & I'm sure they will replace it for you under warrenty.

Had my new VRS since November 15, delighted with the car....but....developed a fault with the right hand scrolling wheel on the multi function steering wheel control.

Can't now scroll between functions within the on board computer.

Anyone else out there had a similar problem?

Had exactly the same problem, dealer replaced the buttons and now everything is working again.

Dealer sorted my right hand control....plugged in to change my service interval & cleared the fault at the same time.

Disappointingly the left wheel whilst still functioning has sheared a slither of plastic off in use! I don't think I'm heavy handed & this is a build quality issue for me. I will be asking for it to be replaced under warranty when I next take the car in.

Anyone else had this issue of a disintegration of the plastic wheel itself?

Had my car in at the dealer about this today. It works slowly/intermittently/not at all at some point on pretty much every journey I do in the car. I parked at the dealers and it wasn't working so I took a video of it as evidence. Dropped the car off and got the call to say my car was ready (couple other things getting looked at too) but they couldn't replicate the fault with the scroll wheel so there was nothing they could do. Got in my car to drive home and of course, it wasn't working, so I went back into the dealer and the service guy got one of the mechanics to have a look and he was pretty surprised when he saw it not working correctly. Cue some head scratching and then it was agreed that they would take my car for a couple of days and try to replicate the fault and/or try replacing the parts from a 'donor' car to see if that helped. 

Seems like there might be a faulty batch of scroll wheels out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like there might be a faulty batch of scroll wheels out there.

I would say so.

There are quite a few people on here who have reported a problem with the scroll wheels  & you have to concder that this forum is quite a small sample of Octys out there.

• 1 year later...

Now I have same problem with my 1 year old Octavia. Exactly right side wheel is not working. I using more left side (volume) wheel, but it working perfect till now. Probably manufacturing problem?!

• 4 years later...

I had the same problem on my Octavia from 2016. Bought a "new" set of buttons from a crashed car, replaced it and after 2 days got the same problem. Only right side scroll wheel. Insane.

From time to time it works as it should, sometimes it just is missing some steps, and from today it is totally dead. Push button still works.

Because I am an electronics engineer, I was thinking about the problem. I opened it and hooked it to the oscilloscope. Everything is working as it should. I am getting expected waveforms. Reflowed all components on that PCB just in case, still getting expected waveforms. Returned it to the car, it worked for some time, and then again, problems started.

Because those transmissive  sensors (LINK to datasheet) are the same for left and right scroll wheel, and we have problems only on the right side, I doubt that the problem is in the sensor itself. Chances that only the sensors mounted on the right side are defective are close to 0%.

My guess is that right side scroll is connected to MCU (LINK to datasheet) in different way compared to the left side scroll. Left side scroll seams to be connected to interrupt inputs, but right side scroll seams to be connected to MCU inputs that do not have interrupt capability. So, it means that right side scroll has to be checked by polling (not in an interrupt service routine), which leads me to conclusion that the firmware in MCU has some kind of bug and it skips part of the code that is used to poll the right side scroll. I checked the connections on PCBs in hurry, so I might be wrong, but what I saw in a few minutes right side scroll is connected to input pins without interrupt capability.

There are two ways to eliminate the problem and get on the right way of solving this issue.

1. Replace transmissive sensor on the right side with one from the left side and see what will happen.

2. Disconnect the battery for few minutes to force the MCU in steering wheel to reset and then check what is going on.

Hmmm. Irritating problem.

Will come back with results.

Edited by Milentije

Reseting MCU didn't help.

Because I have 2 sets of buttons, I desolrdered IR trasmissive sensor from second button set from left side, and soldered it in place of sensor from first set on right side.

At the moment it works. We will see for how long.

Interesting thing is that everybody have the same problem only on the right side...

• 9 months later...

Hi Milentije,

Did you managed to find the reason for the faulty scroll wheel on the right side for the Maxo Dot? As I now have the same fault! Now the car is not new anymore, so pretty sure Skoda will not accept it as a warranty case. But prefer to find an easy fix, so probably have to order a complete set of Steering wheel buttons: 5E0 919 719 A  

Hi folks. I am new here and would appreciate any help available.

I have had my Skoda Yeti 2015 for about 2 years and love it.  But both left and right side MFSW controls suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason a few days ago. The airbag warning light is also staying on on the dashboard. I have checked the 15 amp nr 8 fuse under the bonnet as that seems to be the one for these controls but no joy. Any ideas ? Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Kgn said:

FYI: I managed to find the fault! It was the optocoupler which needed some cleaning

EVAAAgHCveA-1920.jpg

Well done on the update.

Same issue plagues the superb's too. Intermittent right hand wheel doesnt work properly.

Weird how the left side doesnt suffer though

• 8 months later...

Did someone here manage to fix this issue without replacing the whole button? I find it kind of expensive for what it is…

This morning I tried to clean the sensor like @Kgn did, but unfortunately without result…

I called Skoda Netherlands this afternoon because it looks like an common problem, but they didn’t recognize that.

Hope anyone has the solution!

Hi again 5k0d4,

I actually found a used steering wheel at a car wrecker; I replaced the PCB´s and it worked perfectly. Then I found the cleaning instructions of the sensor, and that worked as well. So, I returned the Steering wheel and my old PCB worked almost ½ year. 

If you do a search on: 5E0 919 719 F WHS - either on Google, Ebay or similar, you will find a replacement kit. 

Currently my scroll button works sometimes.

Good hunting.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! No, you can’t. But removing the horn is really the easiest part of the job. Removing the buttons itself was a lot harder… There are some pretty clear instruction videos on YouTube that will show you how it’s done. Good luck, I hope cleaning it will do the job for you!

Hello, just managed to repair righthand roller with can of airduster and straw. With ignition off, press down righthand roller, spray airduster with straw attached through the gap inbetween roller and its housing pointing straw to the left, couple of squirts and jobs a good en. Worked for me..

• Like 1