Need help finding a dash cam

Maddo03

Hey everyone,

Having difficulty finding a dash cam for my new car.

Looking for good quality that is not powered by the cigarette lighter.

Price is no object. What would you guys recommend?

Posted in here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/369704-the-briskoda-drive-recorder-video-footage-thread-part-2/page-40 and asked if anyone wants to help :) I use a Koonlung front and rear dashcam, this is probably the best starter cam you can get, mine lasted a year  -   http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IPDDAME?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Edited by Hyphons

99.9999999999% come set up to be powered by the 12v socket. Many like myself do not like this as wires hanging about the car causes OCD anxiety. Any camera can be fitted more discretely in any car though.

My own favourite cameras still for qualiy, reliability vs price are the Mobius Action cams. £45 delivered and then say £12 for a good fast 32GB memory card. (price fluctuates with exchange rate I paid £37 and £42 for mine) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649  There are many many others as you will have seen with various gadgety features, I have spent thousands on dash cams over the years but happy with these as no nonsense just records good consistent footage, always works (3 years old now :o  recorded approx 120K miles worth in that time). If you want GPS data logging and speed display on footage and or a built in screen etc, the likes of the mini 080X (1/2/3/5/6) are worth researching on youtube primarily for reviews. There is a new model to that series now the mini 0826 which looks to be a good step up and around £100 don't think release in UK officially yet but Australia have loads of them and its a good climate test to see how they go for them. 

For installation avoiding using factory 12v socket I did it this way and have done essentially the same thing to the last 4 or 5 cars ish. Starts and records from key on to key off when it shuts down after a time limit I set (could leave it permanatly powered equally so you can choose to leave it on or off by the cameras buttons). http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/265343-dash-cam-12v-multi-adaptor-hidden-install-driver-storage-compartment

Example footage all from Mobius Action Cams

Edited by FUBAR

I have a Transcend Drivepro 200. It's installed with a Nextbase Hardwire kit directly into the fuse box, which is very simple. There is an install guide to do this on this site.

The DP200 is very good. Great quality footage, HD quality. At night it still provides very good watchable useful footage. It does have an emergency button which you can use to capture 'protected' files. It does have a g sensor but I have turned it off to prevent it activating every time I hit a pothole!!

The part I really like about it is the wi-fi connection. There is a Drivepro app you can use to access your camera. You can watch livetime, download files directly to the app via wifi and view the files on the cameras SD card. It also comes with an SD card.

It's a good piece of kit.

i have blackvue 550dual and transcend drivepro 200

both are hard wired directly to the fuse box,no loose and visible wires. also used power magic pro,device that shuts off the camera once battery voltage falls below 11.8v to protect the battery.

I have a NextCam 512G and would recommend it.

I did buy a hard wire kit that I bought separately from Amazon so it is wired into the fuse board.

I found a terminal that was only “Live” when the ignition was on

One point to be aware of is that due to the patterning behind the mirror a suction cup which most dash cams have will not work.

So I mounted my one much lower down

Hey, guys, what do you think about rear-mirror dash cams? I really dislike the need for taking the dash cam off, but leaving it in the car with on-street parking seems reckless, so I am considering one of these (http://dashboardcamreviews.co.uk/best-rear-view-mirror-cameras/). Does anyone use one of those and have any feedback?

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed a Mini0806 (ust Google it - Its actually called this) :-) - Cheap, HD, large SDXC card support.