1700 miles (Alps) in Brand New L&K 4x4 1.4tsi thoughts ....

rone

Whilst waiting for my 1.2 DSG SEL Yeti - the girlfriends' 1.4 L&K turns up. So this was the car we were going to drive to Morzine in - for our Skiing holiday. 

We have driven a few times in our trusty Fabia MCs - no real issues with them even four up. Good MPG 45+, the only downside being the bumpy ride and the lack of freshness you feel in a car that's a bit low.

Both Yetis have been matched on the PCH deal that we saw offered by Simpsons. All the dealers we approached haven't been that great (more of that in the dealer thread) very very poor experiences. The last straw being the L&K turned up with no mats without explanation. They did however match the Simpson deal of £135+2090 down for the L&K. We both returned our Fabias to take these deals as they were nearly at the end of their terms. The Yetis were actually cheaper by quite a bit.

My thoughts good and bad.

The good:

• Very comfortable over long distance. We pretty much did the return journey in one hit.
  • Great composure on the last climb into the mountains - wasn't much snow on the road but I really enjoyed how it drove the hair-pins.
  • Good place to be in terms of driving position and ergonomics.
  • Seats are great and supportive.
  • I like the flexibility of the seats even if the boot space is quite a bit down on the Fabia Estate.
  • Climatronic system is good - maybe a few too many options.
  • Firm suspension but nowhere near as bad as the Montes!
  • Like the parking/reversing detectors - well implemented.
  • Nothing rattled or creaked like on the Fabia.

The bad:

• 37 MPG - seems a bit low. Didn't know what to expect - but I thought early 40s may have been possible. Given the Fabia was so great - could see 50+.  Early days
  • Cheap glossy plastics. What is it with Skoda and the extremely scratch-able glossy black plastic. Scratches as soon as you wipe it - you have to use a fine 'wet' Micro-fibre or your doomed. This glossy plastic is on the interior of the L&K and the exterior pillars. Basically touching them will produce fine scratches. It was the same on my Fabia MCs. Awful and unpractical. The dashboard speedo fasicas are the same too. One wipe and a micro scratch.
  • A bit of lack of urgency low down. It's a big car I suppose.
  • I thought the gear-box was a bit awkward - particularly going from 6th back to 5th / 1st to 2nd. A bit "notchy". It's new I will get used to it.
  • Rear wipe doesn't work properly - it stops half way across its wipe sometimes.
  • Sat Nav took a bit of getting used too - I didn't know you had to have the split window on to see imminent turns or 'maneuvers' as the manual explains.  
  • Brakes are okay but nothing special - again probably need to bed in.
  • Space is geared towards the drivers which is great but i reckon we may have struggled four up with luggage. But I think the spare wheel is the killer - which we didn't have in the Fabia.

Anyway looking forward to my auto 1.2 DSG SEL which will solve a couple of these issues! 

These are just general thoughts on a great car - covering a big distance in the second week of purchasing/leasing!

(You have to get permission from Skoda Finance to take the car to Europe - but it lasts a year.)

Edited by rone
  • Like 4

(You have to get permission from Skoda Finance to take the car to Europe - but it lasts a year.)

Where in the small print is this please as my Yeti is on a pcp and I was unaware of such a clause.

Colin

I have just found this in the terms and conditions of the pcp agreement.

3.1 - Care and use of vehicle:-

"While we own the vehicle you must - not allow the Vehicle to be taken outside of the United Kingdom without our permission except that you may take it to any country within the European Union for up to 60 days in any calendar year"

Edited by eribaMotters
  • Like 1

rone- regarding the low down urgency and the brakes, I too was initially underwhelmed. Mine took a long time,at least 4k miles for the engine to really get into it's stride and pull well low down, and the brakes about 2k miles to really bed in and bite.

The Alps are one hell of a test for any car 'right out of the box'! I think you will be pleased with these two aspects given a lot more miles. MPG will also improve. 

Perhaps there is something wrong with the gearbox, mine is the best I have ever come across.

Also my Sat Nav does not require the split-screen mode to show instructions on the maxidot.

Hope this helps - good skiing.     

So no need to ask permission to go on holiday in the EU.

Brasso will remove the micro scratches on the black plastic and instruments (but a pain I agree).

Our1.4 L&K arrives in April - replacing a 110 TDI so clearly aware of many of the pros and cons you mention. I too hope to crack 40mpg so I may be disappointed. That said, did you use 98Ron fuel? Some suggest it yields another 3+ MPG in a 1.4 TSI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

98 is more expensive, but in some cars (and apparently the 1.4 TSI is one of them) the extra cost is more than compensated by the better economy - but as we don't have ours yet have still to prove it. Certainly the case in our BMW M135i though.

You are correct, Brasso is a very mild abrasive. We had a bad scratch on our BMW speedo Perspex, on recommendation,I tried it and it worked brilliantly. That said I would possibly think twice about using it on a touch screen.

The only cloths I have are all microfibre.

I've always found 1st > 2nd, with a cold 'box' particularly, the most difficult to get just right.

I got into the habit of just getting rolling and quickly snatching 2nd, otherwise you had to be very precise in getting the revs 'just right' and the movement across the gate also.......I hated the graunch when cold........always dreamed of a garage heater outlet under the box........I seem to recall Ferraris had a lot of oil in their manual box and were a b....r cold.

As always, motorway speeds and Yeti economy are not synonymous without a tail wind ........it's the price you pay for 'King-of-the-road' vehicles.

You are correct, Brasso is a very mild abrasive. We had a bad scratch on our BMW speedo Perspex, on recommendation,I tried it and it worked brilliantly. That said I would possibly think twice about using it on a touch screen.

We used to use Johnsons floor wax on our aircraft windscreens which magicall 'nourished' and eliminated all the minor imperfections making them all like new......similar should do the same, I'd think.

I too hope to crack 40mpg so I may be disappointed. That said, did you use 98Ron fuel? Some suggest it yields another 3+ MPG in a 1.4 TSI.

I am at present struggling to crack 30mpg with mine on local roads at busy times. 

Only 1000 miles done at present and current tank showing 31/32 on maxidot.

First two fill ups on mine have yielded 35.3, then 37.0mpg, calculated from brim to brim fills, not maxidot. That's from a good mix of A and B roads and motorway use as well, with a few short journeys thrown in for good measure. The current fill up has largely been used on a long run (Fosse Way, A46, M69, M1, A50, M18) and maxidot is showing 41.2 (reset at fill up) so it wil be interesting to see if the real figure is anywhere near that.

Generally, I think anything over 35mpg for a petrol engined 4x4 should be considered a bonus.

I have to agree with a lot of the OP's comments, though I'm surprised by the 'bumpy ride' remark. Both my daughter and my wife both said it felt "very smooth" the first time I took them out (separately) in it. Engine-wise, I get an annoying dip in low-rev pick up in the change from first to second. It could almost be mistaken for turbo lag.

Though I haven't had a single baulked gearchange in the first 1,300 miles, the shift doesn't feel particularly slick. The engine still feels tight, especially above 4k rpm and certainly doesn't want to send the rev counter needle flying around the dial. Hopefully it will loosen up with a few more miles. 4th gear is most fun and makes the car almost feel light on its feet.

I'll post a more detailed review once I get to 2,000 miles.

Edited by Citigopher

Just re-read the original post and realised that the 'bumpy ride' comment was levelled at their old Fabia. My face and egg are in alignment. I'll just go and wipe it off with a slice of humble pie, then make a trip to Specsavers......