Octavia 3 Navigation upgrade - options / ideas / thoughts

I bought a new Fabia last year,it came with a Bolero system,no sat nav and mirorlink did not work with my phones. Having said that Skoda eventually supplied and fitted the Kenwood/Garmin upgrade. This navigation upgrade is excellent and I would recommend it without reservation.  Only hope that the navigation on the Octavia I have ordered  will be (almost) as good.  

For future reference, this is upcoming and will have a estimated cost of ~€1200 with ETA end of September 2016:

http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/navgateevo

Also, Alpine is rumoured to be coming out with a similar system, although more expensive. Either of them should be a better options than the stock system or those plug-and-play

Alpine X901D-OC3: http://www.alpine-europe.com/index.php?id=1339&L=24&href=navigation-system-for-skoda-octavia-3/x901d-oc3&level_num=product

Edited by milanj

• 5 months later...
On 9/7/2016 at 10:09, wlange said:

Either way, in case of my configuration (Canton) the integration is rather questionable, as the amp is connected by fiber-optic wire. It requires special hardware and potentially extra config to make the amp and head unit "talk" as they should.

I ended up now with Dynavin unit hooked up between the glove-box module and interface panel. Has some quirks, but works well in general.

Hi, I have the exact same setup in my Octavia 3, Bolero+Canton. And is wondering to buy the Dynavin solution. 

But maybe you can tell me "pro's and con's"??

Thanks

9 hours ago, mullewap said:

Hi, I have the exact same setup in my Octavia 3, Bolero+Canton. And is wondering to buy the Dynavin solution. 

But maybe you can tell me "pro's and con's"??

Thanks

I'll just say what I said to one other forum member recently:

It has some quirks, but overall I'm not disappointed. I got it from a Russian supplier at eBay; not much help from those fellas :/ and I had to solve few puzzles on my own.

The resolution is being set with jumper wire. [...]

Below you can find some pictures. My case was a complicated one, as I have canton and there is no way to hook it up to speakers (there is an external amp/dsp hanging on optical wire). For that reason I have installed additional speaker (like from old hands-free units) behind the head unit/display. Does the job ok.

Note1: there is a vertical shift by few pixels (marked with arrows). It's visible when using iGO 8 as shown. If you use iGO Primo problem is not visible.

Note2: when using a different navi system than supplied (I got iGO8 which is a bit rubbish atm), make sure the navigation software is directly in the root folder of the sd card (not in an additional sub-folder). Not obvious and a thing if you ask me; I found by doing persistent trial-errors. In other words it did take me quite a few tries before i got my iGO up and running.

Note3: In my case, sometimes when map was switching day/night mode, I was getting error (attahced) and had to reset. I disabled night mode as auto dimming works well in bolero and problem is gone. Btw, resetting is done by long press of the right-lower hardware button of bolero.

Note4: on rare occasions the system gets sluggish. Wait, it'll go to normal after 20s or so.

Altogether I'm quite happy, resolution is not an issue for me (I do not need to pixel-peep) ;)

One last thing to address is the clicking noise from the unit, that I'm hearing sometimes before command is spoken, probably a relay or something.

[...]

Clipboard01.jpgClipboard02.jpg

• 1 year later...

just wondering if you have had any long term issues with this set up as I too have the Bolero (no nav) - canton set up and am sick of using my phone for sat nav. 

Also how did you connect your nav speaker and where/to what have you mounted it to?