Scratched Dials

rriggs

Hi all

On my old Yeti (which I bought 2nd hand) there were loads of scratches and swirls on the rev counter and speedo faces. My new two month old Yeti also has a load of scratches on the faces so I'm guessing that these scratch up pretty easily.

My questions are - can the scratches be removed? I guess it will be difficult if the plastic is that soft. Can the clear plastic faces be replaced or are they part of the binnacle and can't be changed? I have found a seller online selling protectors for dials (basically phone screen protector film cut to dial shape/size) for a resonable price. They're for a Golf but the photo looks like the same so should fit or just need a little trim. I'm hoping that these will hide scratches and stop any new ones.

Anyone else had trouble with these scratching so easy?

Anyone else had trouble with these scratching so easy?

The only way they'll get scratched is with a gritty or rough cleaning cloth.

I've never seen scratches on mine especially with a filtered air-con system that will stop the grit from getting onto the dashboard in the first place.

If you are only after people with scratched instrument faces it's going to be 100% scratched result.

Yes - a shame. We've had three fabias - all scratched the same. We've got two new yetis and I've been very careful but but got slight scratches.

You need a the finest microfibre clothes (for keeping tablet/phone screens clean) and something like autoglym fast glass to keep clean.

Go near them with your finger or a rough microfibre and you will put scratches straight on to them. Most people will not even know or care - I'm precious about this sort of stuff and quickly realised how easy it is to scratch them.

As for taking the scratches out there is a plastic polishing kit I got that works to a degree. I will get the name.

Quite frankly it's crap. Cheap materials. But not exclusive to Skoda.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Edited by rone

I noticed the same on my Yeti within weeks of getting it. Only really noticeable in some lights but b****y annoying on what was then a brand new car. As best I can recall it must have been lightly dusting them with a microfibre cloth - you only find out these things the hard way.

We had similar happen on our BMW - on advice, Brasso did the trick perfectly - initially I was very wary of the idea because it's clearly mildly abrasive, but it worked a treat. That said, I wouldn't be brave enough to use it on the touch screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for taking the scratches out there is a plastic polishing kit I got that works to a degree. I will get the name.

Meguiars PlastRX ?

I used that (after progressively finer grades of wet'n'dry) to restore the cloudy/pitted plastic headlamp lenses on my old Passat.

I expect the problem with polishing up plastic dial faces is that they'll be quite awkward to reach.

Thanks guys.  At least it's not just me then.  I don't know why they make them from such soft plastic?

I am hoping the screen protectors will hide the scratches that are already there and stop any more...  I'll see when they arrive as I don't fancy trying anything on them for fear of making them worse!

Have they de-specd or something?

We are in a dusty environment and I've never noticed anything unusual and Armorall did the trick .....not in sun exposed places though.