Briski Bikers Come Forward! - Part II 'General Banter'

FUBAR

I normally use the Alpinestar M1 gloves which are a short glove. Had them for years, colour clash with everything I wear and ride but they really are a great fit.

I did get some Spada waterproof gloves. Only problem they weren't waterproof and absorbed water like a sponge making them heavy, bulky and pretty much useless. After that I got the Knox ones which came top in a group test, by some miracle they fitted me just slightly on the tight side but have broken in nicely. They have a bonded waterproof membrane too like goretex so they don't absorb water either. I've got Scotland this month and not sure which gloves to take, sensible head says at some point it will **** it down so should take the Knox ones. 

I'm a bit of a glove Pikey :) I use my Aerostitch Elkskin ropers, no armour but they've been down the road at 30+mph and are not marked, super comfy and no linings. I brought a couple of pairs back from the US with me so I have a spare. My mate's hate them, but I don't care, best gloves I've ever used. 

420_4a.jpg

For winter I use a pair of Klim Powerxross, Goretex lined, warm enough and have goregrip so no flappy saggy lining. 

http://www.klim.com/Powerxross-Glove-3438-005?color=9

All very subjective, and can be another money pit.

I think what they are now calling Goregrip is what used to X-trafit basically the bonding of the layers on outer, membrane, insulation and liner to stop rucking and produce better feel. 

This was the test I bought the Knox on the back of http://www.visordown.com/features/products/tested-sub-£120-waterproof-motorcycle-gloves

• Like 1

@fluffmeister I've become a bit of a Klim fan boy but like many makes of gloves I couldn't get them to fit which was a shame as I liked the Adventure Long glove but it wasn't wide enough. I also tried on the Induction summer glove but the fingers were way too long, go figure

• Like 1

On 17/08/2017 at 18:25, fabiamk2SE said:

Bought some Rukka Apollo gloves today. Easily the most expensive gloves ive ever bought.. but they promise big things..

gore-tex... gore grip.. comfy as feck n apparently good for all year round.

We'll see.. 

After the disaster with the Bering battery heated gloves, I bought a pair of Rukka Mars gloves. £160 IIRC

Feck, they're warm and are not too thick on the palm so plenty of feel, unlike the HG winter gloves they replace.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Cant see why your mates dislike those :D  as long as they fit the bill though, who cares! 

Goregrip is apparently the way to go isnt it. Cant even tell its there tbh

A lot of my mates are still going through the Power Ranger phase, I'm going through my "Don't care if I look like a hybrid cowboy hobo, I'm comfy and having fun" phase :)

Just back from the 2nd Euro trip, 2,400 miles of it in those Elkskin ropers, they've got about 35000 miles on them now.

• Like 2

On 18/08/2017 at 11:24, CWARD said:

I think what they are now calling Goregrip is what used to X-trafit basically the bonding of the layers on outer, membrane, insulation and liner to stop rucking and produce better feel. 

This was the test I bought the Knox on the back of http://www.visordown.com/features/products/tested-sub-£120-waterproof-motorcycle-gloves

Alot of the stuff seems to have both xtrafit and goregrip in the title. I thought it was the same thing too! Nout worse than layers that come out though, they never go back in properly do they. 

They look really good! Nice one! 

20 hours ago, fluffmeister said:

A lot of my mates are still going through the Power Ranger phase, I'm going through my "Don't care if I look like a hybrid cowboy hobo, I'm comfy and having fun" phase :)

Just back from the 2nd Euro trip, 2,400 miles of it in those Elkskin ropers, they've got about 35000 miles on them now.

Good effort. 

Loads more fun to be had not giving a toss but actually having something good for what you do. 

The whole power ranger thing is just a fashion anyway. Not many of em are any faster than another bike well ridden.. imo. 

Had to test the new gloves yesterday so off up to Cumbria i went. Kirkstone Pass and 'the struggle' ticked off the list. Stunning scenery, brill roads and the gloves were spot on. Abit stiff at first but they soon loosened up. 

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4240.JPG

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got back from Scotland last night, having had a great time. The routes were all done from the Sat Nav set to curvy roads and no motorways. It didn't disappoint! The roads were virtually empty as everyone else seemed to stick the dull main routes. Even fully loaded the bike ate up the roads, blasting out of each bend to the next, always composed and without drama even with the odd bit of peg scraping.  The weather wasn't ideal with it raining on Saturday on the way up to Moffat and then Wednesday it bounced it down from Aberdeen to Stirling, so much that we had to take the main roads as I could barely see ahead. 

The roads were great fun to ride if I had to pick a favourite it would be Blair Atholl to Aviemore, A889, A86, B970, B9152 then A95. Quite a few bikers were starting to make their way to Thunder in the Glens at Aviemore, some of the braver HD riders were on these B roads rather than sticking to the A roads. Most of the B roads were very tight barely wide enough for two cars, still damp with gravel/stone in the middle from previous rain falls.  There were quite a few of us that got held up by a caravan, as the riders at the front failed to take advantage of areas and seemed happy to sit behind. I made sure the road was clear through a series of bends and from far back committed to over take. 5-6 other riders came with me from the back to do the long overtake, around the bends to get in front of the caravan. Once clear we able to take full advantage of the bends with a bit more speed but still having to watch out for the gravel the wheels would just wash out on it. It was great fun and one of the HD riders, no idea what bike, could really handle such a big bike with lots of grinding out on the bends as well as sliding the back wheel out.  On the A95 we left the other behind and stopped in Aviemore for coffee and cake, only for the others to spot us and join us too. They were HD riders were from Germany and the others from Italy who had all rode up from the Hull ferry that morning. Unfortunately it was just a pitstop for us as we were going meet friends in Aberdeen and we headed off on the Malt Whisky Trail, beautiful again but not as twisty. No stopping for any samples though but added to my bucket list to do with someone else driving as there were so many distilleries to visit.

Second best would have been Stirling to home but at 272 miles winding through through Falkirk, Edinburgh, Galashiels over the border through the Northumberland National Park before cutting across to Kendal then across again through the Yorkshire Dales. It took nearly 9 hours of riding with minimal stops, which gives an indication of just how tight the roads were and I was absolutely knackered by the time I got home.

The bike is absolutely filthy and I'm not looking forward to cleaning it, might need to give Chubbs a bell. I'm already itching to get back on the bike and do some more riding but will need to look at a new back tyre first.       

Sounds proper that mate. Nice one! 

Stunning up there isnt it. I was gobsmacked to find the biggest A roads getting towards the top were just single track with passing places. 

Tbf 90% of people were very good when i was there. Letting us past in safe places.. cars letting us go etc. The odd buffoon.. one in a Range Rover drove past 2 passing places before trying to drive us off the road on a narrow bit. The kind you wouldn't mind a word with but never get the chance. 

Have you got any pictures then? 

@Chubbs is good and not far from you at all is he! He's a nice guy, defo worth a bell. Get it done ;). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWARD said:

Got back from Scotland last night, having had a great time. The routes were all done from the Sat Nav set to curvy roads and no motorways. It didn't disappoint! The roads were virtually empty as everyone else seemed to stick the dull main routes. Even fully loaded the bike ate up the roads, blasting out of each bend to the next, always composed and without drama even with the odd bit of peg scraping.  The weather wasn't ideal with it raining on Saturday on the way up to Moffat and then Wednesday it bounced it down from Aberdeen to Stirling, so much that we had to take the main roads as I could barely see ahead. 

The roads were great fun to ride if I had to pick a favourite it would be Blair Atholl to Aviemore, A889, A86, B970, B9152 then A95. Quite a few bikers were starting to make their way to Thunder in the Glens at Aviemore, some of the braver HD riders were on these B roads rather than sticking to the A roads. Most of the B roads were very tight barely wide enough for two cars, still damp with gravel/stone in the middle from previous rain falls.  There were quite a few of us that got held up by a caravan, as the riders at the front failed to take advantage of areas and seemed happy to sit behind. I made sure the road was clear through a series of bends and from far back committed to over take. 5-6 other riders came with me from the back to do the long overtake, around the bends to get in front of the caravan. Once clear we able to take full advantage of the bends with a bit more speed but still having to watch out for the gravel the wheels would just wash out on it. It was great fun and one of the HD riders, no idea what bike, could really handle such a big bike with lots of grinding out on the bends as well as sliding the back wheel out.  On the A95 we left the other behind and stopped in Aviemore for coffee and cake, only for the others to spot us and join us too. They were HD riders were from Germany and the others from Italy who had all rode up from the Hull ferry that morning. Unfortunately it was just a pitstop for us as we were going meet friends in Aberdeen and we headed off on the Malt Whisky Trail, beautiful again but not as twisty. No stopping for any samples though but added to my bucket list to do with someone else driving as there were so many distilleries to visit.

Second best would have been Stirling to home but at 272 miles winding through through Falkirk, Edinburgh, Galashiels over the border through the Northumberland National Park before cutting across to Kendal then across again through the Yorkshire Dales. It took nearly 9 hours of riding with minimal stops, which gives an indication of just how tight the roads were and I was absolutely knackered by the time I got home.

The bike is absolutely filthy and I'm not looking forward to cleaning it, might need to give Chubbs a bell. I'm already itching to get back on the bike and do some more riding but will need to look at a new back tyre first.       

New back tyre, lots of miles and lots of fun by thd sounds of it! Takes me back to the good old days! 

Drop me a message if you need the bike doing!! 

Best wishes

David

59 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Stunning up there isnt it. I was gobsmacked to find the biggest A roads getting towards the top were just single track with passing places. 

Tbf 90% of people were very good when i was there. Letting us past in safe places.. cars letting us go etc. The odd buffoon.. one in a Range Rover drove past 2 passing places before trying to drive us off the road on a narrow bit. The kind you wouldn't mind a word with but never get the chance. 

@Chubbs is good and not far from you at all is he! He's a nice guy, defo worth a bell. Get it done ;). 

Many thanks for your recommendation pal! 

• Like 1

We got back a couple of weeks ago from the trip to, dwindled down to two bikes and 3 people due to some personal drama's on behalf of the usual crew that come along (House Moves, etc etc).

Had a great time, Hull to Rotterdam on the Ferry, then....

Holland and the Overloon War Museum, on to MGB and overnight there, a ghost town now all the military have gone, JHQ is pretty much derelict.

MGB down to Saarbrucken, taking in area's from the battle of Huertgenwald, overnighting in Saarbrucken

Followed the Maginot line in places, criss crossing through France and then cutting east to Munich and a couple of nights in Munich, were we visited Dachau concentration camp, and went to the Allianz Arena to watch the Audi cup football tournament.

On then to Trafoi in Italy, via Austria and a Hotel half way up the Trafoi side of Stelvio

Following morning, Stelvio, Umbrail Pass, Garvia Pass and Tonale dropping into Lake Garda, overnight in Garda

Out of Garda, Strada Della Forra, cross country to the Swiss border and then via the San Bernadino, cutting past St Moritz to our overnight in Switzerland

Next morning, the RiDE magazine 5 pass loop of Furkha, Grimsel, St Gotthard, Susten, Neufenen, then through Lichtenstein to overnight in Austria near Konstanz

Konstanz a cross country run, back on the B500 and Black Forest to overnight in Pirmasens

Then back to the ferry, and home for tea and medals.

Outside Overloon Museum, found a new friend

IMG_0081-M.jpg

Amphibious "truck" capable of carrying 60 tons

IMG_0123-M.jpg

Good Bike Collection at Overloon

IMG_0115-M.jpg

T34 Commander meets rambling idiots

IMG_0122-M.jpg

Dragons Teeth just outside Huertgenwald

IMG_0160-M.jpg

My boy pondering our next move, lines of Dragons teeth in the background

20626960_10154504926712396_5470991705912

A nice pair of ......

IMG_0139-M.jpg

Tickling the tip of the Zugspitze

IMG_0328-M.jpg

A bit overrated, but here's the Stelvio from the Trafoi Hotel car park

IMG_0390-M.jpg

Bormio side near the Waterfall

IMG_0462-M.jpg

And from the top, the hotel is the dot on the bottom right corner

IMG_0435-M.jpg

Umbrail Pass

IMG_0454-M.jpg

Garvia Pass, memorial to Italian Mountain troops who died when their truck came off the road. The Garvia is deadly, no barriers on much of it, very narrow and deep ravines.

IMG_0470-M.jpg

IMG_0477-M.jpg

San Bernadino

20604258_10154495841562396_1916870725204

Albula Pass

IMG_0576-M.jpg

IMG_0594-M.jpg

Took hundreds of pictures, but I will spare you now :biggrin:

Edited by fluffmeister
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fluffmeister said:

We got back a couple of weeks ago from the trip to, dwindled down to two bikes and 3 people due to some personal drama's on behalf of the usual crew that come along (House Moves, etc etc).

Had a great time, Hull to Rotterdam on the Ferry, then....

Holland and the Overloon War Museum, on to MGB and overnight there, a ghost town now all the military have gone, JHQ is pretty much derelict.

MGB down to Saarbrucken, taking in area's from the battle of Huertgenwald, overnighting in Saarbrucken

Followed the Maginot line in places, criss crossing through France and then cutting east to Munich and a couple of nights in Munich, were we visited Dachau concentration camp, and went to the Allianz Arena to watch the Audi cup football tournament.

On then to Trafoi in Italy, via Austria and a Hotel half way up the Trafoi side of Stelvio

Following morning, Stelvio, Umbrail Pass, Garvia Pass and Tonale dropping into Lake Garda, overnight in Garda

Out of Garda, Strada Della Forra, cross country to the Swiss border and then via the San Bernadino, cutting past St Moritz to our overnight in Switzerland

Next morning, the RiDE magazine 5 pass loop of Furkha, Grimsel, St Gotthard, Susten, Neufenen, then through Lichtenstein to overnight in Austria near Konstanz

Konstanz a cross country run, back on the B500 and Black Forest to overnight in Pirmasens

Then back to the ferry, and home for tea and medals.

Outside Overloon Museum, found a new friend

IMG_0081-M.jpg

Amphibious "truck" capable of carrying 60 tons

IMG_0123-M.jpg

Good Bike Collection at Overloon

IMG_0115-M.jpg

T34 Commander meets rambling idiots

IMG_0122-M.jpg

Dragons Teeth just outside Huertgenwald

IMG_0160-M.jpg

My boy pondering our next move, lines of Dragons teeth in the background

20626960_10154504926712396_5470991705912

A nice pair of ......

IMG_0139-M.jpg

Tickling the tip of the Zugspitze

IMG_0328-M.jpg

A bit overrated, but here's the Stelvio from the Trafoi Hotel car park

IMG_0390-M.jpg

Bormio side near the Waterfall

IMG_0462-M.jpg

And from the top, the hotel is the dot on the bottom right corner

IMG_0435-M.jpg

Umbrail Pass

IMG_0454-M.jpg

Garvia Pass, memorial to Italian Mountain troops who died when their truck came off the road. The Garvia is deadly, no barriers on much of it, very narrow and deep ravines.

IMG_0470-M.jpg

IMG_0477-M.jpg

San Bernadino

20604258_10154495841562396_1916870725204

Albula Pass

IMG_0576-M.jpg

IMG_0594-M.jpg

Took hundreds of pictures, but I will spare you now :biggrin:

Haa thats brilliant. Nice write up! Looks like you enjoyed it! I did laugh at Titz! 

Stelvio somewhat over rated i think yeah. My dads done it and said he didnt really know what the fuss was about. Far nicer roads about. 

Top write up and glad you enjoyed it. Ace! Nice one! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Haa thats brilliant. Nice write up! Looks like you enjoyed it! I did laugh at Titz! 

Stelvio somewhat over rated i think yeah. My dads done it and said he didnt really know what the fuss was about. Far nicer roads about. 

Top write up and glad you enjoyed it. Ace! Nice one! 

Well, it wasn't much of a write up :blush: I was going to do a proper trip report though.

We got up early and Stelvio was empty, I mean we were the only bikes there, and that's the way to do it, then it is worth all the fuss. We hit it at just after 7am from the hotel car park, rolled down the other side, then rode the Umbrail down and back again, before completing Stelvio. WHen we got back to Stelvio at around 10am, it was Manic, Bikes, Cars, Vans, Bicycles, Buses, you name it, it was there and mostly in the way, apart from the cyclists...........those boys were pushing it so fair play to them.

Most embarrassing moment of the trip, being overtaken by a bicycle on the Garvia Pass. That cyclist was a complete **** though, we were heading down Garvia, a van was coming up the other side, there is no guard rail, and about 200ft sheer drop to my left. I go as far right as I'm willing to, van is embedded to the right as I start to move forward to go past the van, matey boy on the push bike flash's between us, Van driver on the horn, but he was gone, 30 metres or so down the road, hairpin left hander, (right before my eyes) he clips an Italian Fazer 1000 on the Apex of the left hander, the Fazer runs wide and just saves it before the abyss.......cycle boy somehow survived that. He'd not have survived if we'd all caught him at the bottom. Me and my lad along with my mate helped the Fazer guy and his pillion out of the mire and saved the bike. 

This gives an idea of the width of the road, a loaded GSA, two up with panniers, and a Transit van heading towards you :biggrin: It was this spot, the left hander is just after the right hander. 

DSC_0044.jpg  

2 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Took very few pics, too busy enjoying the roads and the views. I could have kicked myself for not taking the Garmin VIRB to record some of it but gives me an excuse to go back and capture it. 

Everyone did seem fine letting you pass but caravans and the camper vans were everywhere. It wasn't them holding people up but the ones behind who couldn't overtake them. 

Only idiot drivers we came across on the way back. One in a an old Bmw estate who wanted to make a point pulling out as I went to overtake him so just gave him a wide berth only to see him later overtake a Volvo that was already overtaking. 

Then a couple of boy racers, one at Hartside the other dropping down to Kendle. Expected to see them both off the road but luckily didn't. 

1 hour ago, Chubbs said:

New back tyre, lots of miles and lots of fun by thd sounds of it! Takes me back to the good old days! 

Drop me a message if you need the bike doing!! 

Best wishes

David

I might drop you a line tomorrow depending on what time I have spare. 

9 minutes ago, fluffmeister said:

Well, it wasn't much of a write up :blush: I was going to do a proper trip report though.

We got up early and Stelvio was empty, I mean we were the only bikes there, and that's the way to do it, then it is worth all the fuss. We hit it at just after 7am from the hotel car park, rolled down the other side, then rode the Umbrail down and back again, before completing Stelvio. WHen we got back to Stelvio at around 10am, it was Manic, Bikes, Cars, Vans, Bicycles, Buses, you name it, it was there and mostly in the way, apart from the cyclists...........those boys were pushing it so fair play to them.

Most embarrassing moment of the trip, being overtaken by a bicycle on the Garvia Pass. That cyclist was a complete **** though, we were heading down Garvia, a van was coming up the other side, there is no guard rail, and about 200ft sheer drop to my left. I go as far right as I'm willing to, van is embedded to the right as I start to move forward to go past the van, matey boy on the push bike flash's between us, Van driver on the horn, but he was gone, 30 metres or so down the road, hairpin left hander, (right before my eyes) he clips an Italian Fazer 1000 on the Apex of the left hander, the Fazer runs wide and just saves it before the abyss.......cycle boy somehow survived that. He'd not have survived if we'd all caught him at the bottom. Me and my lad along with my mate helped the Fazer guy and his pillion out of the mire and saved the bike. 

This gives an idea of the width of the road, a loaded GSA, two up with panniers, and a Transit van heading towards you :biggrin: It was this spot, the left hander is just after the right hander. 

DSC_0044.jpg  

Feckin hell. Suicide cyclist. Sounds proper bonkers. That fella wont last long whether you managed to speak to him or not! Knob. 

Sounds an exciting ride though. 

Over populated somewhat then on the stelvio? i guess its been given the write ups in the mags and now everybody wants to go.