Octavia 3 184hp 4x4 dsg diesel consumption

Hey guys, starting one month ago I became the proud owner of the car in the title.. all well and very happy, but... In 1000km the urban consumption (traffic, cold, and normal driving) has been 11-12l/100km (24mpg).. but the since refuel and long term average show 10.5l/100km.. I have been to the dealer but they say after a service check that everything is ok. Dunno what to do.. a full tank in urban gets me aprox. 450km.. Should I be worried ? (I once got 7l/100km urban and a freeway of 6.2l/100km minimum.. but never reproduced again)... And I see that people here with similar cars have way less fuel consumption.. i find it waaay big for a diesel

Edited by aobretin

Hello and welcome

I am in a similar position to you with the vRS/DSG. Mine is averaging 45mpg over mixed motorway/urban use. Thats roughly 10 miles/litre or 16 km/lt or 6.25 lt/100km

Maybe use lighter right foot in town?

• Like 1

Hey TDlum and thanks :) well my foot makes the car change in urban condition at around 2500rpm.. thats not pushing it.. but the urban consumption 12l per 100km seems pretty big.. don t you think so ? I mean comon.. they say the car has no problem.. but i dunno seems way to big..

Edited by aobretin

• Administrators

If it helps ( possibly not )

The 2 4x4 haldex cars I've owned before did about 20% less than FWD versions. The superb CR 170 ( remapped ) 4x4 manual was the furthest of expectations ;) But I sort of knew it would be heavier on fuel, weight, drag etc then remap it for a bit more ;).

45 sounds about right, I was getting less on B>A>Motorway 50mile commute. But most of that went on the B & A road bits :)

It will also have to free up a bit. The cold urban will be it's weakest card... but at least you can get out of junctions quickly   ;)

The VW diesels are notoriously bad until they're properly run in. My FWD 150 DSG was struggling to get into the mid 40's even on a run when it was new, but now have 10k miles on it and it's much better. I have fitted a DTUK tuning box very recently and that's helped even more, but I was still getting low to mid 50s on a run after more miles were on it. Nothing to worry about in my opinion :thumbup:

I've seen as low as 30MPG (9.4 l/km) in very slow and stop start traffic over a 7 mile journey in my Manual vRS TDI (non 4X4), and this with the engine oil at running temp. When the roads freed up a bit the MPG since journey start rose considerably.

The DSG diesel is not as economical as the manual (there is another post on here somewhere about that) then you have the 4X4 drive system on top, I don't think you are far off. You are probably having a few regens, again these don't help fuel consumption.

Overall I am hitting approx. 40 MPG on a tank of fuel (calculated and Maxi Dot) with mixed Urban/Motorway driving ( 25% stop start) after 600 miles. But I am running in a bit gently but not driving like a nun.

Edited by davitc
  • Like 1

So I guess 12l cons. on a cold day with urban traffic is kinda ok..Well then I guess thats the car.. tnx guys you have been most helpfull :)

Edited by aobretin

Not directly related, but my first tank in my new manual Scout (150, 4x4) gave 40.8 mpg which I thought was a bit poor, but the engine is exceptionally tight and I do run with the climate on at all times. It will be interesting to see how it improves as the miles go on! I'm less fussed than I might be because it's just so nice to drive!

I picked up my vrs 4x4 a week ago. I guess you shouldn't be worried by the consumption in diesel engines on short distance drives. My brand new Octy on 700km journey swallowed 7.5l/100km. However, i did not rev the engine higher than 3000rpm means: no kick downs and no exceeding 160kph on highways. 

Short trips are starting arnd 13-14 l/100 but after couple of kilometres it goes down to 10.5l and less. Still, as I said, diesel engines take longer to get to the working temperature thus consume more fuel. Since you have a new car - wait till you hit couple thousand kilometres and you'll see the consumption go down (however on short drives it will never be as low as Skoda declares). 

Aobretin, I think your consumption is very poor, but you keep asking about 'urban trips' but you have to tell us what your urban environment is like and the length of trips.

My car is a 1.4 tsi so the following is for illustration purposed only

For instance in my city I can do the same 13 kilometre trip and my fuel consumption will vary from 4.2L/100 to over 8L/100 depending on the time of day or night and consequent traffic density.

For simplicity I categorise traffic as follows:

Light traffic - always get across traffic lights on the first cycle.

Medium traffic - mostly requires two cycles to get through traffic lights.

Heavy traffic - always 3 or cycles to get through and lots of stop/start traffic.

Distance is especially important particularly if it is cold weather:

In my case the first kilometre will average over 10L/100, dropping to 7.5L/100 by two kilometres, and so on in temperate 20 degree Centigrade weather.

Diesels have their own characteristics, generally very economical  but complicated by all the anti-pollution gear.

They take longer to warm up than a petrol engine so expect fairly poor consumption for very short journeys from cold starts.

A lot of short urban journeys will start the engine in a cycle of DPF regenerations and they can have a severe effect on consumption.

A few diesel users have complained of excessive DPF regenerations on their new cars, but they usually settle down with more kilometres covered, but I'm not clear on the reason why a new engine and DPF would do this.

You may find that your region is still selling diesel formulations for winter conditions, these can also adversely affect consumption.

IF I were you I would take the car to a motorway where you can get a clear uninterrupted run and when the engine is properly warmed up then set the cruise control for about 110 kph (verify with a GPS do not just go by the speedometer), reset the trip average consumption and see what the average consumption is over roughly 10 kilometres. If it is anything worse than say 6.0L/100 then you may have a problem. Try and avoid slipstreaming a truck because this will distort the results. 

There are lots of other factors and influences such how aggressive a driver you are (this the really big factor), whether you use or switch off the stop/start feature, air-conditioner use (a hot weather factor), headlight use (minimal but noticeable), the extra rolling resistance from wet roads and puddles.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gerrycan

Tnx octaviaconvert.. yes the consumption is poor.. let give you some examples.. short cold runs (2km) the consumption is 13-14l.. one night when it was hotter I even got 7l urban.. and highway wise 6.2l on 130kph.. but also had urban example where the consumption on 60km trips trough town didn t go under 10.6l.. i did a full tank a week ago.. did 140km only urban and 35% of the tank is gone.. which seems poor.. I went a couple of weeks ago to skoda and after a check they said the car is 100% running fine.. And i drive normaly no more 2500rpm change by the dsg urban

Those urban numbers are the same as get in my 1.8tsi 4x4 Dsg when it is at its coldest(-10 or colder).

One should think a diesel would do a bit better.

If you got 6.2L/100 at 130kph then I would say there is no problem at all.

You have given no indication of the traffic conditions in your urban driving, or average speed, or whether you are carrying heavy loads.

It would also help us if you said how it compared with other cars you have driven in similar conditions.

Ok so I Googled Bucharest traffic and it is officially the most congested city in Europe with the worst traffic jams!

Your consumption is probably quite normal.

You should have got a hybrid car or a full electric vehicle, or a bicycle.