New turbo blown after just 3 days

Originally had a KKK on my ASZ PD130 which had sticky vanes and was overboosting and making a lot of whistling noises for a while, eventually got to the point where it was overboosting more often and going into limp mode at 3k revs, the upper boost pipe also kept coming off which was making everyday driving difficult so decided to just change the turbo before it went pop.

Replaced it with a reconditioned Garrett PD130 unit from Midland Turbo which I believe is mainly used on the VW Golf and had to be clocked before fitting on the Fabia, the original turbo had not gone pop so none of the intercooler pipework, etc was checked and cleaned out, the oil feed pipe was also not replaced as I didn't know it needed to be replaced at the time, everything fitted and up and running.

Driving home after fitting, taking it easy, the boost pipe popped off again while going up a hill in 2nd gear, I thought it was still loose from the first few times it popped off when the old turbo was overboosting so I just secured it again and continued, popped off from the other side the next day, again thought the pipe had just become worn from the amount of times it had come off so cable tied it and did a little DIY fix after looking online

Next day I went for a 10 mile drive and got home to find a bit of oil on the drive, suspected it had leaked from the boost pipes, they were now secured so thought i'd leave it and monitor the drive for any further oil drips in case it was leaking from somewhere else

Driving home tonight I was doing about 45 in 4th when there was a pop and a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, no visible oil on the exit tip or slashed on the tailgate, I did take my foot off the accelerator as soon as it happened and let the car roll to a stop before turning the engine off, checked oil level and it was below what is measurable on the dip stick

Any idea what could have caused it and what to get checked tomorrow and over the weekend when I take the car back to the place that fitted the turbo??

I believe the oil leak was coming from the turbo area as it is now visible on the undertray

Edited by Harry1212

Lost a fair bit of oil somewhere, if its not on the dipstick then at least a litre. As sepulchrave said above check the oil feed pipe as they can sometimes get damaged when fitting a new turbo, could have ruptured and that's the oil you can see, if it's come loose then it wasn't connected up properly. My Fab had it's turbo replaced 3 weeks ago and I was strongly advised to have the oil feed and return pipes replaced, also had oil & filter changed as well. 

Edited by VRSD30

I didn't replace mine, on swapping @ 140k old pipe. I did inspect the ball end and threads, and it all seemed fine, i also applied a little oil to the threads before fitting. Have you checked the other end of the oil feed to the oil cooler side, as its a bit of a pig to tighten full with the sensor in the way.

If it was blowing boost hoses off that easily either they have knackered fittings on them,or your car is running way too much boost?

Has it been mapped?

I didn't replace mine, on swapping @ 140k old pipe. I did inspect the ball end and threads, and it all seemed fine, i also applied a little oil to the threads before fitting. Have you checked the other end of the oil feed to the oil cooler side, as its a bit of a pig to tighten full with the sensor in the way.

The issue is more the pipe being blocked with carbon etc and limiting oil to the turbo.

The issue is more the pipe being blocked with carbon etc and limiting oil to the turbo.

oh i did give it a good soak over night, then blasted out with the power washer.

reguarding future carbon build up, what can reduce this risk? i gather a flexi is better as its got less bottle neck 90 degrees? is the internal pipe diameter the same? the though did cross my mine, but the cost of the flexi is daft.

If it was blowing boost hoses off that easily either they have knackered fittings on them,or your car is running way too much boost?

Has it been mapped?

Yes it has been remapped, I was in the process of getting the map tweaked and checked for overboost, only thing that delayed the situation was that it was overboosting on the old turbo due to sticky vanes and blowing off the boost pipes and going into limp mode, but after fitting the new turbo it wasn't going into limp mode any more but I assumed the pipes were becoming loose and leaking after previously being blown off a few times so i concentrated on securing them, finally got the Allard pipe kit off eBay which replaces the entire section from the EGR delete down to intercooler, turbo actually blew on the way home after getting this pipe kit fitted.

Car is going back to the garage that fitted it in the morning as it is still dripping oil on the drive and it is below the level readable on the dipstick so hopefully we find out the cause, definitely oil related because of the leak, just need to see who or what's to blame, seals on the turbo itself or the mechanic who fitted the thing fitting the oil feed pipe incorrectly or without removing it and cleaning it.

Car is going back to the garage that fitted it in the morning as it is still dripping oil on the drive and it is below the level readable on the dipstick so hopefully we find out the cause, definitely oil related because of the leak, just need to see who or what's to blame, seals on the turbo itself or the mechanic who fitted the thing fitting the oil feed pipe incorrectly or without removing it and cleaning it.

I'll be interested to hear how they're going to blame it on you.

i think the above comment has said everything i would suggest.

You need to prime the turbo and oil feed pipes before starting the engine, i replaced mine for a hybrid and never replaced the pipe, but i did remove it from the car and clean it, its quite a thick pipe on the vrs and ive never seen one blocked yet.

Its also good practice to do an oil and filter change when the new turbo is fitted.

If your boost pipes are leaking then thats bad for the turbo, a cheap replacment turbo wont like it very much.

• Like 1