Any mechanics looking for a job in the Somerset area?

theezenutz

To cut a long story short I get on quite well with the workshop manager in a Nissan dealership called Wellington Motors.

They are in need of technicians of any kind of experience due to being low on staff and very busy, so if anyone is looking for a job then you can either contact me or contact them directly.

Sorry if this is against the rules but it just dawned on me that it may be of benefit to some people.

Everywhere's looking for them,

Problem is when recession hit everybody stopped taking on apprentises and older end dropping out of trade there is nobody to take there place,

Now the motor trade is paying the price, plus finding decent techs is harder than you would expect especially if your after anything more than a filter spinner

• Like 1

Yep, I've seen a couple of local garages advertising for manufacturer trained techs wanted, and the signs don't seem to be going.

Out of interest, what's the typical wage for a good competent worker like this?

Everywhere's looking for them,

Problem is when recession hit everybody stopped taking on apprentises and older end dropping out of trade there is nobody to take there place,

Now the motor trade is paying the price, plus finding decent techs is harder than you would expect especially if your after anything more than a filter spinner

It's not just the motor trade - Much evidence of this in IT as well 

Edited by bigjohn

Its in every area of work tbh - Have a look at the general levels of tradesmen looking for in places over here too... most the good guys left for oz or canada when boom burst, noone really started as an apprentice anything from 2009 - present, so there now a drought of everything.

same in our work. Direct employment hasnt hapened for yrs and now positions that have to be filled in house are remaining vacant as theres noone to take them..

Yep, I've seen a couple of local garages advertising for manufacturer trained techs wanted, and the signs don't seem to be going.

Out of interest, what's the typical wage for a good competent worker like this?

Roughly about 20k for one with few years experiance,

Bit more when you get more papers but still got sparky mates etc on more money,

Back street garages actually tend to pay more than dealers do but obviously you tend to work on more crap and have less opportunities

Same on the HGV side, where offering around £13+ p/hr and still only getting agency or semi skills.

its that bad my shift the average age is about 21, me being the oldest at 24!!

As a Forman I get paid around £15 p/hr and the skilled/master tech guys are on about £14p/hr, so the moneys there, just no people to fill the boots, but sadly it only going to get worse, the new apprentices wont have any where near the experience me and the older lads have, as there learning from lads less than 10 years older than them, so its pretty bleak across the board

You would have to think the problem stems from upstairs and that has filtered down on to the shop floor.

Perhaps the newer generations are realising their is more to life than school, college, work then dead as someone once put it?

I find it a little strange that supposedly their is a shortage of jobs but the comments in this thread doesn't really support that.

I was offered £11 per hour to go back as Master tech. I laughed, I left the dealer network and with my qualifications instantly earned an extra £10k per year at JLR in the manufacturing side of the motor industry. The rise of the Independant has largely arisen due to poor wages and the decent competent techs starting up on their own. I was sacked for gross misconduct from my day job for starting up Unit 18. Just shows you how seriously dealers take the threat.

• Like 1

As above, alot of lads are either going down the uni/degree route, and the older lads are retiring, so there's a huge shortage in the middle where the good techs can almost dictate there wage within reason, the know management this, we even now get £12 extra a shift, just because there crying out for people to work, let alone do shift work! Me and another lad have both been weighing up about setting up on our own, one day hopefully

Two years ago I needed two maintenance technicians to work in my team in the power industry.

Had hundreds of CV's but most were inexperienced and just had 17th Edition and thought that made them electricians.

I needed two guys who were ready to go, ended up taking on two guys in their late 50's that I convinced to come out of retirement.

Just how things are at the moment. 

And some of the apprenticeships being offered to young people at the moment are little more than cheap labour and keeping them out of the unemployment stats. 

Lee

• Like 2

Perhaps the newer generations are realising their is more to life than school, college, work then dead as someone once put it?

I think the main issue is the younger generation arn't interested in manual labour,

Admittedly there is alot more computer work on modern cars but you still have to know your way round a spanner and have a moderate amount of common sense,

TBF its never really been about money, i enjoy what i do but sometimes i do feel like am banging my head against a brick wall working with other muppets at dealers

I think the main issue is the younger generation arn't interested in manual labour,

Admittedly there is alot more computer work on modern cars but you still have to know your way round a spanner and have a moderate amount of common sense,

TBF its never really been about money, i enjoy what i do but sometimes i do feel like am banging my head against a brick wall working with other muppets at dealers

I would honestly jump at the chance to work on cars if it paid better than my IT job.

Problem is.. at this point in my career anything is going to mean a massive pay drop and it's not like I got paid well to begin with.

I barely get by with my wages as it is.. putting away about £1k a year in savings which seems to vanish anyway when a big cost comes up. (still £400-600 out of pocket due to scummy airline not refunding me for a cancelled flight on their side).

No joy emailing them either.

Edited by bspman

Maybe your right but maybe your wrong. Perhaps newer generations find no value in busting their backsides to enrich those who do not appear to value them very much.

But to be honest I'd rather avoid going down the Generational divide route. Every Generation is supposed to be guided by those that came before, to not make the same mistakes as they did, to do better than they did. At least that is what I'm led to believe. There is more to life than Money and material possessions.

Maybe your right but maybe your wrong. Perhaps newer generations find no value in busting their backsides to enrich those who do not appear to value them very much.

But to be honest I'd rather avoid going down the Generational divide route. Every Generation is supposed to be guided by those that came before, to not make the same mistakes as they did, to do better than they did. At least that is what I'm led to believe. There is more to life than Money and material possessions.

The issue I have isn't around material possessions, but a roof over my head and that of my wife and child.

You're right.. I don't find value in working for people who don't care.. nor do I find the work satisfying.. but the pay is just enough to keep us fed, dry and warm. I appreciate I'm probably on the border of the "younger" generation but honestly it feels like most of us are stuffed.

Rents go up more than my wages on a yearly basis.. there's not an awful lot more I can do than look for another job that pays more.

• Like 1

The issue I have isn't around material possessions, but a roof over my head and that of my wife and child.

You're right.. I don't find value in working for people who don't care.. nor do I find the work satisfying.. but the pay is just enough to keep us fed, dry and warm. I appreciate I'm probably on the border of the "younger" generation but honestly it feels like most of us are stuffed.

Rents go up more than my wages on a yearly basis.. there's not an awful lot more I can do than look for another job that pays more.

Yep I'm in the Same boat I can only afford the things I have becaus I make sacrifices, I don't drink, I don't do drugs anymore apart from the odd dabble I don't have kids or my own place and I don't owe a penny to anybody, I live well within my own means.

Realistically the only way I can afford my own place is either working to live or by finding a mate or misses to spread the cost neither is ideal or permanent. But then again I don't necessarily feel poor as I know their are people worse off than me I live a life of relative comfort compared to some poor folk.

It is what it is we are in these situation because we have collectively allowed it to be this way imho. I have no time for greedy, selfish people who exploit others for personal gain.

Edited by theezenutz

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread, I can't believe that finding a good mechanic is such a difficult thing... Where does the problem seems to be? Experience of new kids-mechanics? Payment?