Skoda Extended warranty - Assistance or not

Owens

Back in December 2012 we ordered a new Citigo. we paid to extended the warranty to 5 years and were told that it gives piece of mind as Skoda Assist is included for the five years.

I even emailed Skoda customer service  a few months later and had a reply stating 'With regard to Extended Warranties, I am happy to confirm that Skoda Assistance, in partnership with the RAC will provide Roadside Recovery throughout the duration of the warranty'

As the car is now over 3 years I decided to check with Skoda Assistance (AA) that the car was covered as I have not had anything to the contrary  Sorry sir your warranty expired in Feb 2016. You need to contact your dealer or Volkswagen Financial services on 0333 043 3782 to get them to sort it out.

My dealer says I have the warranty.

A friend tried Skoda customer support  to check his extended warranty and was told to check with Skoda Assistance.

On a second note I have a Skoda approved extended warranty with Assistance which is due for renewal. I phoned the Skoda Approved warranty service to see where my renewal information was and was told that I need to contact VWFS. 

So the questions are: -

Who should we contact to check that we have extended warranty VWFS or Skoda Assistance?

What would happen if I breakdown. Do I have to pay a premium as I'm not a member of the AA or call out the dealer and pay them?

So how many people are running around with a car that they think is covered by extended warranty yet has no breakdown cover?

Not a happy bunny

• Thanks 1

Yes, I'm in the same situation as Owens because my Skoda Citgo was brand new on May 3rd 2013 and I took out the additional 2 Year Skoda Extended Warranty when I bought the car.  I was very pleased to have read in the Skoda Citigo Forums on Briskoda that Skoda Assist would also be extended along with the extended Skoda warranty.  I was delighted to know that my vehicle was covered for almost everything till May 2018.  I was a little worried when I contacted Skoda UK Customer Services and received the email printed below.  We can also note that it was originally the RAC that provided the Skoda Assist but now it's the AA.

I was only alerted when I received a communication from "Skoda UK with the AA" inviting me to spend £145 to extend the Skoda Assist for another two years.

Anyone else feeling the anger at being cheated?

"From…  Skoda UK Customer Services         

Subject:               SD-2016/03-******

Dear Jim

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding ŠKODA Roadside Assistance.

I was sorry to learn of the issues outlined in your email. I can confirm that Roadside Assistance is not extended when you extend your warranty.

With regards to updating your Roadside Assistance, we would require you to contact our expert colleagues in ŠKODA Roadside Assistance directly.

For membership queries and renewals customers should contact the AA on the telephone number below:

Telephone 0800 526625 and select option 2

Alternatively, you can email the AA using the link below:

[email protected]

I am pleased to confirm the Manufacturers Extended Warranty period is: 02 May 2016 to 01 May 2018.

I hope this information proves useful. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me quoting the above reference number.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA Customer Services.

Kind regards

Joanne Wilby

Customer Relations Advisor

ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA

Tel: +44 (0)333 0037 504

[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com"

post-99780-0-96745800-1459883543_thumb.jpg

post-99780-0-78170600-1459883614_thumb.jpg

post-99780-0-03838700-1459883678_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Cost me £500 when ordering my 2011 vRS to get 2 year extended warranty and assistance, never felt so ripped off saying as that they couldn't even be bothered to fix it at 2 years old so sold it in a huff. 

So i phone VWFS and they said 'nothing on our system you need to contact Mondial on0345 641 9706' Phoned them and guess what 'Nothing on our system sir you need to phone VWFS.

ARRRRRRrrrgh

Surely you must have paperwork for the Extended Warranty and Assistance? The original payment receipt should have it itemised. Or the email confirming that Assistance is included? The email should be enough proof.

Yes I do have the paperwork. However when I phone the AA to check I had breakdown cover they say I have no none with them.

VWFS say they can't do anything as its an original warranty not an extended warranty!!!!!

I never received any paperwork saying I need to renew my skoda/AA assistance.

I did manage to clear up the Ocky extended warranty. Apparently I needed to visit www.insurewithskoda.co.uk website to renew my cover. When I did that the price was over double what I paid last year.

I have emailed skoda customer support but as yet no response.  

I was told to go back to the dealer and get them to sort it out. Guess what, There computer says no extended warranty. I have now scanned my original bill of sale and e-mailed it to them.

Why can't sales teams get things right first time

Take your bill of sale, walk in, put it in front of them, and say "Sort it out!" And if they start fobbing you off with getting you to go to VWFS or Skoda insurance, point to the part where it says how much you paid them to extend your warranty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like others bought the two years extension (in April 2012) to have five years and found no breakdown cover after three years!

I also complained to Skoda uk who stated that it was only for three years and was excluded for years 3&4. When I pointed out that they do state things that are excluded but do not include the breakdown in that exclusion they had no explination except to say it was not included.

My dealer accepted my argument and paid the £145 for the next two years cover with the RAC.

Edited by Danny 57
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally sorted. I now have extended warranty and breakdown cover for our Citigo. 

Why don't Skoda make it plain that the extended warranty they now offer does not include breakdown cover. They should have given it as an option in the brochure instead of not mentioning it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is still happening. Just bought a new car with extended warranty on the basis that the extension included 2 extra years of Skoda Assist. In fact it was the Skoda Assist bit that was of most interest - £270 for 2 years is decent value for Skoda Assist in itself, even not considering the warranty.

On checking the documentation when we picked up the car I could see no mention of the extra years of Skoda Assist. Then a google revealed this thread. So we asked what was going on. The Salesman did some checking and got back to say actually we did not have any extra years of Skoda Assist. We are after getting a refund for the £270, and will not take it lying down if we do not. In fact I am tempted to take it further anyway if I can find an appropriate ombudsman or whatever.

Frankly, this sounds like an out-and-out scam to me

Edited by DrStirbitch
  • Thanks 1

I have just contacted my main dealer about this.  The dealership contacted Skoda Retailer Support directly and emailed their response to me:

"I have spoken to Jimmy at Retailer Support who confirmed that the Breakdown Cover is only for the 3 Years from date of Registration & does not continue onto the Extended Warranty 4th or 5th year terms." 

My thanks to OP and to contributors to this thread.  I would otherwise have found myself without Breakdown Cover during years 4 & 5.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

A year later and they still have not updated their literature.

Maybe there was an issue with the literature in the past. But I didn't find anything wrong with it, Danny, once I got my hands on it.

The problem was what the salesman said. That and his reluctance to show me anything in writing before the purchase.

1 hour ago, DrStirbitch said:

Maybe there was an issue with the literature in the past. But I didn't find anything wrong with it, Danny, once I got my hands on it.

The problem was what the salesman said. That and his reluctance to show me anything in writing before the purchase.

Did I just hear a can of worms creaking open? I mean, this is partly where the PPI mis-selling etc cases started from was not informing customers correctly about their position when claiming at time of purchase.

• ColinD pinned this topic
5 hours ago, DrStirbitch said:

I understand as in my case with the breakdown cover it still had their claim that it covered you for the extra two years as the same as the first three years (no differing opt out clauses). Which is what I thought was meant earlier I did not realise is was a statement from the salesman. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but thanks to this post my warranty was renewed today along with my Skoda Assist. Without this post I wouldn't of known they were not joined and phoned Skoda Assist with an ongoing problem I currently have to be told "You are not covered".

Thank you all :) 

• Like 1