vRS TDi occasionaly slow to fire up.

Collected car today new water pump fitted told the workshop foreman that the TSB320F was for a 2ltr he told me that the mechanic when checking the TSB found the right TSB for mine and updated mine hope that will do it. I will let yous know how it goes fingers crossed

• Like 1

Good to know theres an update for the other TDI engines too.

Do you know the TSB reference by any chance to help others having similar problems who's dealer isnt as efficient as yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys - just after booking my own VRS in after noticing that cold starts are difficult.

Has anyone had the issue whereby, once the engine starts, that it's very sluggish at take off? As in - it's gutless and seriously struggles to begin moving? And temps here aren't even below 6 degrees yet!

Oh - also - does anyone with Kessy start the engine from the offset or press the button without the clutch to light the glow plugs before firing it up straight? The manual I have doesn't refer to it.

Edited by foregonereality

Taken mine in and mentioned this and the TSB number and they insist that there is nothing on the system for my car (VRS TDI) and give me the keys back. Are you guys just lucky and they're doing it for you or are there actual notes against your vehicle VIN to be able to get the update?

Cheers

My car is still in the service, I'll get it back tomorrow morning.

Dealer told me today on the phone that they found the TSB and applied the SW update on the engine controller.

Time will tell if it cures the occassional long cranking.

Maybe tomorrow I will check the SW version change with VCDS. :)

MY 2014 Elegance 2.0 TDI with DSG.

Taken mine in and mentioned this and the TSB number and they insist that there is nothing on the system for my car (VRS TDI) and give me the keys back. Are you guys just lucky and they're doing it for you or are there actual notes against your vehicle VIN to be able to get the update?

Cheers

Show them this thread and ask them to ring SUK. While you are there. Edited by Lew0-VRS

My car is still in the service, I'll get it back tomorrow morning.

Dealer told me today on the phone that they found the TSB and applied the SW update on the engine controller.

Time will tell if it cures the occassional long cranking.

Maybe tomorrow I will check the SW version change with VCDS. :)

MY 2014 Elegance 2.0 TDI with DSG.

My Octy is back with updated engine controller SW.

Some evidence below ('before' and 'after' VCDS AutoScan).

So far so good, but I started the car only 5 times since I got it back.

I need a week or so to tell more. Usually I faced the problem only once or twice per week (=15-30 starting with cold or half warm engine).

Old:

Address 01: Engine (J623-CKFC)       Labels: 04L-907-309-V1.clb

Part No SW: 04L 906 021 DT    HW: 04L 907 309 D

Component: R4 2,0L EDC   H22 5520

New:

Address 01: Engine (J623-CKFC)       Labels: 04L-907-309-V1.clb

Part No SW: 04L 906 021 DT    HW: 04L 907 309 D

Component: R4 2,0L EDC   H22 7545

Edited by aki78

• 2 weeks later...

Almost 2 weeks passed without long cranking issue so it seems the new software helped.

I also feel a slight improvement in throttle response with the new software.

• 5 weeks later...

Is this update JUST for vRS? I have a 2,0 liter 150 hp L&K, not vRS. Can I then get this update in my car?

When I started the thread, it was a fix for the 2.0 Tdi 184ps only. That was some time ago, things may have changed since

I've had my car to my own Skoda dealer - even gave them the bulletin number. They say it doesn't apply to my TDI VRS (MY15 2015). 

The problem seems to happen to my car when it's been sitting in damp weather conditions for a while (5-6hrs+). They told me they may have to hold onto the car for a while to try and replicate the problem. I've also noticed that the car has needed two top ups of oil in recent months. 

Hopefully there's nothing wrong with her - I must say I love the car.

How do you start your engine? I sat down and thought a little, also because of a tip from the workshop, that it's a diesel engine, and then it might be okay to wait a few extra seconds for glow plug lamp has gone out, and also possibly wait until the car has made its "diagnosis" and then start when all the lights in the dashboard has extinguishing.

I had no problems with this the first year I had the car, and I remember clearly I was doing that procedure. It was only after I found out that I can turn the key completely to position 3 and release, and wait for the car to start by itself the problems started. I'm beginning to wonder if this theory may be correct, that we are too fast to start the engine, and then the car is unable to keep up.

I have now gone back to the old procedure, put the key in position 2, and let the car be done with the "diagnose", and then start the car after that. I have suddenly had no problems, at least until now.

What do you think? Could it be that simple?

Edited by Intel2Duo

How do you start your engine? I sat down and thought a little, also because of a tip from the workshop, that it's a diesel engine, and then it might be okay to wait a few extra seconds for glow plug lamp has gone out, and also possibly wait until the car has made its "diagnosis" and then start when all the lights in the dashboard has extinguishing.

I had no problems with this the first year I had the car, and I remember clearly I was doing that procedure. It was only after I found out that I can turn the key completely to position 3 and release, and wait for the car to start by itself the problems started. I'm beginning to wonder if this theory may be correct, that we are too fast to start the engine, and then the car is unable to keep up.

I have now gone back to the old procedure, put the key in position 2, and let the car be done with the "diagnose", and then start the car after that. I have suddenly had no problems, at least until now.

What do you think? Could it be that simple?

Doubt it, my car has KESSY, press the button, it will start when it's ready...

OK the saga continues

at the last service (8k miles ago - thats about 2 months in my world) they wouldnt do the required software update even though i provided everything they need, they had consulted skoda and they had not responded on the day. their response is here recieved today:

We’ve heard back from technical this morning and they have confirmed there is a potential update for your vehicle, as long at it has 1 or more fault codes that they have listed stored in the vehicles memory. We have gone back over your previous diagnostic information to check if any of the faults were listed, which they haven’t been in the past. I’ve spoken to our service manager and what he recommends is getting the vehicle back in and running Guided Fault Finding to double check and see if there is anything new on the vehicles memory.

If one or more codes are listed we can carry out the update, if not we are unable to carry out any updates as per technical guidelines.

As you know no errors are reported related to the problem so how does that work ? 

strangely though the issue with mine is becoming less common than it was maybe only once a week now whereas it was 2 out of every 3 mornings at its worst.

you guys who have had the update - are there any other improvements associated with it and has the problem been resolved?

OK the saga continues

at the last service (8k miles ago - thats about 2 months in my world) they wouldnt do the required software update even though i provided everything they need, they had consulted skoda and they had not responded on the day. their response is here recieved today:

We’ve heard back from technical this morning and they have confirmed there is a potential update for your vehicle, as long at it has 1 or more fault codes that they have listed stored in the vehicles memory. We have gone back over your previous diagnostic information to check if any of the faults were listed, which they haven’t been in the past. I’ve spoken to our service manager and what he recommends is getting the vehicle back in and running Guided Fault Finding to double check and see if there is anything new on the vehicles memory.

If one or more codes are listed we can carry out the update, if not we are unable to carry out any updates as per technical guidelines.

As you know no errors are reported related to the problem so how does that work ?

strangely though the issue with mine is becoming less common than it was maybe only once a week now whereas it was 2 out of every 3 mornings at its worst.

you guys who have had the update - are there any other improvements associated with it and has the problem been resolved?

There is a a TPI for it as I posted earlier in this thread. If it relates to the car you own then I don't know. I was made aware of it over cranking by the dealer as it was in for other work. It had done it to me or maybe two occasion and thought it was just me. What's the odds on in happening to a technician ? It's all BS in my opinion. Either the car needs it or it does not. Contact skoda U.K. Can't see why dealers would not want to do it. As end of the day they get paid by skoda to sort it.

• 3 months later...
On 2016. 11. 09. at 23:03, aki78 said:

Mine is okay, starts like normal since the update.

Update: it was ok for a few weeks only then it started doing the same stupid thing again.

It doesn't happen so often but that's all. :thumbdown: