Tax Return Help

Coops

Depends how complex his affairs are, I do my own, but I keep it simple and just do it on a cash basis.

Simple earnings (retired but did some consultancy part time), pensions and savings

Any local independent accountant will be your best bet.

I'd like to do myself if possible but may need some guidance

Inheritance tax?

Nope.

Try Mr D Cameron, 10 Downing ST- he seems to know a lot about not paying tax.

• Like 2

Coops, is this for the tax year ended 5th April 2016? If so have you received his P60's for pension income, savings certificate yet? In regards to his consultancy work was this as a sole trader or limited? Either way do you have his previous accounts?

• Like 1

Coops, is this for the tax year ended 5th April 2016? If so have you received his P60's for pension income, savings certificate yet? In regards to his consultancy work was this as a sole trader or limited? Either way do you have his previous accounts?

Turns out they want end 2016 and end 2015 years, I think. The P60s will be somewhere in his filing.

His consultancy was simply done as a sole trader - need to dig his PC out and see if he kept any accounts.

Prob best to speak to an accountant if you're not comfortable doing it.

If you've any friends that run their own businesses they should be able to give you a local recommendation.

It will cost a little bit but will probably save you a lot of hassle. HMRC are pretty relentless with things like that.

They might even get you more money back. A friend of mine is a tax accountant and he always says that he should be able to save you at least what you pay him if not more.

I did my late fathers, but for him it was quiet straight forward, he died 6 weeks into the tax year, and HMRC were only interested in that period. Luckily we had all his pension details, so I completed the form and posted it back to HMRC. Few weeks later my mum received a cheque refunding all tax paid because he had not yet exceeded his personal allowance.