Wifi

my SE-L Exec (UK) has a SIM slot in the glove box. Does this mean I will have in-car wifi?

Sorry if this is dumb - I bought a cancelled order at the right price so never went into some of the finer details...

All Columbus head units have WiFi but without Premium WLAN it is very limited in functionality. If you have a SIM slot it means that you have the Premium WLAN option which enables in-car WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Premium WiFi enables sharing of the the car's internet connection via Bluetooth (rSAP profile) or the SIM card over WiFi - basically enabling the WiFi router functionality.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Is this possible to add as a retro-fit?

I looked at this but would would not be cost effect for me with not having a Columbus plus company car.

Therefore I have been looking at a mobile Wi-Fi hotspots.. EE do one which plugs into the 12v socket which I thought could live in the boot form the kids using ipads etc.) but the data allowances seem expensive.

Hi,

We use a Huawei mobile WiFi in our touring caravan. It has its own built in battery as well as a 12 volt socket & also an Arial socket ( with Arial ) while it has always found a signal in some remote villages ( and some not so remote-- ) we have been reduced to Emails only. The unit is unlocked so its possible to use any sim card ( we use EE ) The self contained battery lasts for a few hours so the unit can be placed where convenient.We bought it on -yes- fleabay ! Our unit has a transmitting range of around 25ft.

Edited by david 1220
  • Like 2

Do all SE L Execs have the SIM slot because I've looked and our car doesn't. It has two SD card slots but no SIM slot between the two along the top row.

Do all SE L Execs have the SIM slot because I've looked and our car doesn't. It has two SD card slots but no SIM slot between the two along the top row.

No, in order to get the built in SIM Card on any Superb you have to order the option "Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet" at a cost of £350.00

• Like 1

Would an alternative be to use a mobile phone as a hot spot and connect other devices to that? Would the phone box feature of the Superb improve the potential for internet services on the move?

Edited by cessem

No, in order to get the built in SIM Card on any Superb you have to order the option "Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet" at a cost of £350.00

Damn. Cheers. I was looking at the CD player the other day and reading the manual and noticed there wasn't a SIM slot. :(

• Like 2

I have the premium Wifi on a L&K.

The sim slot is there but remains unused until I get round to buying a sim (any suggestions)

When parked by the house I can connect to the house Wifi and it shows up as connected in the car and on the house router.

I can connect the iThing to the car Wifi, shows up as connected on the iThing and the car BUT

The iThing will not connect to the internet.

Am I missing something, I also can't find the NETWORK option in the SETUP screen that the manual says should be in the Wifi settings.

The sim slot is there but remains unused until I get round to buying a sim (any suggestions)

When parked by the house I can connect to the house Wifi and it shows up as connected in the car and on the house router.

I can connect the iThing to the car Wifi, shows up as connected on the iThing and the car BUT

Am I missing something, I also can't find the NETWORK option in the SETUP screen that the manual says should be in the Wifi settings.

What functionality do you get from connecting the car to WiFi?  I don't have premium WiFi on mine but WiFi is an option in the menus...

Another quick play this evening.

On the media screen I managed to access all the music I store on my home Network, now just need more time to see if I can copy stuff across or if I still need to use the SD card.

What functionality do you get from connecting the car to WiFi? I don't have premium WiFi on mine but WiFi is an option in the menus...

You can stream music from uPnP devices.

The two networks - in- car WiFi and the network that the car is connected to - are not routed.

You can only access the Internet from in-car WiFi if you have Premium WLAN and you either have a working SIM with data enabled, of you pair the car with a phone over rSAP Bluetooth profile. Not all phones support it.

Purchased a Three PAYG data only SIm today, lasts for 3 months and plugged it in.

Then waited for the complexity but nothing.

So connected the iThing and voila internet.

Now to see how I can see check data usage to try and work out what I actually need.

Is it any benefit to have car connected to the internet ? Map/firmware updates or online streaming ? I can not find any information about available/unavailable functionality anywhere :(  

I have 2 SD slots , but not sim card slot on the glove box device, however I have TPlink 4G hotspot always in my pocket with cheap data sim.  

Is it any benefit to have car connected to the internet ? Map/firmware updates or online streaming ? I can not find any information about available/unavailable functionality anywhere :(

I have 2 SD slots , but not sim card slot on the glove box device, however I have TPlink 4G hotspot always in my pocket with cheap data sim.

No online streaming and no OTA firmware updates. I'm wondering if there is any use of it apart from providing the Internet access to in-car WiFi.

Given that it will be a a very popular taxi this kind of functionality is good for international passengers arriving from an airport but that's the only useful thing i can think of.

I don't have a web enabled mobile phone and I found the internet connectivity of the car useful on Saturday as I got to sit in the car, drink coffee and direct SWMBO to the shop with the best prices after an internet search.